Long-term lurker finally signing up.

Doghead13

Having been repeatedly coming back to this forum chasing mods for a couple of years now, I thought it was high time I actually signed up for an account.

So, hello! My name's Calum and I'm a large hairy Scottish biker, beer fiend, metalhead and aspiring speculative-fiction writer with a lifelong mania for astronomy, spaceflight, stargazing and all things space-y, given which my getting interested in KSP was, in hindsight, only a matter of time - Rocket Science: The Game? That might as well have been designed specifically to appeal to Calums.

(It's also significantly impacted, shall we say, how I write spaceflight via comprising a basic education in orbits.)

I am, however, still dreadful at aircraft. Maybe the mouse-controlled flight mod will help with that.

5 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Never seen a Scot before on this website.

You've never seen a Scott Manley video embedded here?

Welcome, @Doghead13!

Well, I'd say there's a few Scots here - I just got a PM from someone being amused that there have managed to be two Scots, both with the same fairly rare spelling of a Gaelic name (single L, 'Calum', as opposed to the more common but still distinctly Scottish, double-L, 'Callum') on this forum. Going with the law of averages I'd expect there to be a good number if we've managed to hit the same rare name twice.

Guess I'm just about the only one of Mr Manley's countrymen to actually introduce himself with a 'Hello, I'm from SCOTLAND!', that's all.

5 hours ago, ToukieToucan said:

Why did I read your post in a scottish accent? Anyways, welcome to the forums for real this time.

Well I hope you got the right Scottish accent then. Wester Ross, Gaelic influence - what lowlanders would call a teuchter; for reference I am one of the minority of Scots from the actual Highlands of Scotland and yes, the Kerbin biome name made me smile.

Mine isn't exactly the thickest accent in the north, but nevertheless I find myself constantly overusing words like 'myself', rarely saying things like 'I saw it' when I could be saying things like 'I was seeing it' and make sense, expressing agreement with a noisy inbreath, and emphasising statements by saying them twice.

(And before anyone asks, no, to my lasting shame I barely speak a word of the Gaelic.)

On 5/8/2016 at 11:25 AM, ToukieToucan said:

Why did I read your post in a scottish accent? Anyways, welcome to the forums for real this time.

Probably because s/he said that they were scottish :P

Also, an official welcome to the OP from another lurker who decided to sign up :D