MY SHIP SHAKES WHEN TARGETING A NODE HELP!

So evrytime in targetting a node with sas my ship shakes while moving to the node and then it simply overshoots it and stops targeting the node.

i have tried evryting like reinstalling, restarting and all that but it does not help.

PLS HELP ME I WANNA PLAY THE GAME :(

More info... No Problem! So this started happening in ksp 1.1.2 (the newest update). For eksample: i launch a rocket with 3 stages. On the two first stages the sas is working fine and i guess its because the rocket is pretty big at that point, but when i use my last stage (when the ship is smallest and has a light weight and its in space) using my sas is useles. When i activate sas my ship shakes (does not explode). When targeting a node my ship slowly rotates towards the node while shaking and then it overshoots the node and for some reason does not target that node anymore, it just shakes. It also happens on reentry with a planet with a atmosphere, something that  makes me unnable to stabilise my capsule so that the heat shield points downwards and i cant make a sucsessfull reentry :( . The yaw, pitch and roll bars on the botom left corner moves randomly  up and down, left and right. If i have rcs thrusters on my rocket they fire in random directions when activated.

(im playing the stock game without any mods and i really need help) :) 

A typical reason for spacecraft starting to shake and exprience phantom forces is because parts are clipping into one another in ways they don't like. I also have a hunch that your spacecraft may be running out of electric charge. The SAS autopilot functions are extremely electricity-hungry, and if your craft has problems pointing straight (because it is shaking), the SAS will try to fight it and rapidly drain your batteries. After running out, it will no longer be able to target something.

If you can find a way to upload the .craft file of your rocket, then I could load it into my game, examine it in the VAB for oddness, and also launch it to see if I get the same shaking.

You can find the file in your KSP directory, in the saves subdirectory, under <savename>\ships\VAB.

...actually, you know what, I'll send you a file request via PM. Then you can put the file directly into my cloud storage without having to worry about finding a hosting solution.

Now try flying the craft i sent you to a stable low mun orbit and try always targetting nodes instead of doing it manualy. This is not the only craft i hhave this problem with too so yeah. But play in the stock game please. thank you for trying to help :). Also i do not run out of electrical power when shaking it just overshoots and stops targeting thats all.

Umm, wow.

@Alshain - if this is overcorrecting behavior, then it has gotten massively worse since 1.0.5. I've never experienced anything so drastic.

Just like @Rom201 says, the entire craft (second stage still attached) vibrates like an... umm, neck massager. When the sat is decoupled, trying to use any of the SAS hold heading modes results in the craft spazzing out to the point where it actively points away from the targeted direction. I.e. select "hold prograde", and the satellite will turn itself 30 degrees away from prograde. Regardless fo whether it started closer or further away from that.

I mean, I am aware that the SAS hold modes love to overcorrect, but I've never seen anything like this while playing before. I haven't started an 1.1.x playthrough yet because I am waiting for mods. Did it get that much worse since 1.0.5?

As a stopgap measure, you can combat this effect by reducing the amount of reaction wheel torque available. In other words: instead of an OKTO2 probe core and a small reaction wheel, try using a HECS probe core. It has builtin torque, but only one tenth as much. On the resulting satellite, SAS still acts like it has an epileptic shock, and will rapidly drain your batteries while one of the hold modes is active, but it will at least point into the right direction. I just tested this.

Edited by Streetwind

But what aboute if i am playing career mode and i only have a crew pod to use, What do i have to do then??

The game is not possible to play the same way as before so thats stupid.

I mean the same things happen to you if you try to reenter back to for example kerbin and the only thing in stage left is a capsule, a chute and a heatshield (how you normally reentered back down before in the older versions)

19 minutes ago, Rom201 said:

I mean the same things happen to you if you try to reenter back to for example kerbin and the only thing in stage left is a capsule, a chute and a heatshield (how you normally reentered back down before in the older versions)

That craft configuration is aerodynamically stable. Turn off SAS and drag from reentry will turn the pod into the correct direction. (It doesn't work with everything you build, but that particular setup? Works just fine.)

2 hours ago, Rom201 said:

But what aboute if i am playing career mode and i only have a crew pod to use, What do i have to do then??

The game is not possible to play the same way as before so thats stupid.

To ensure that pro/retrograde or target follow work perfectly, make your ship heavier, or disable some reaction wheels..

It's unfortunate but the lighter and the easier it is to maneuvre your craft, the greater the discrepancy. Still, if you have a very light craft you don't need to use those functions so much because with just stability assist enabled, you can turn it on a halfpenny.

But if you are just trying to re-enter with a command pod and maybe heatshield, turn SAS off. The Mk1 and Mk1-2 pods are perfectly stable retrograde on reentry. Simply turn to retrograde, turn on SAS (stability assist only), line up properly, then turn SAS off once you're in the atmosphere. Drag will naturally orient your craft perfectly and without needing any skill or electricity.

For craft that aren't perfectly stable, keep SAS stability assist on and tap lightly from time to time to make sure you stay perfectly aligned. There are very few situations where this will not work.

The game is perfectly playable like that.

What used to happen to me was that I used to run out of electric charge. My command pod didn't hold solar panels and while returning to kerbin, I used to run of it and my ship used to start shaking and then become completely uncontrollable. I attached solar panels and batteries and now that never happens. Quite a simple thing, idk if this is your case. Goodluck! 

Im sorry helix wletcher but this is Not my problem but thanks for trying :)

I think in this case my problem is the reaction wheels and i need some kinda mod to reeduse torque.....

Edited by Rom201

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.