Need some help with video quality

HoloYolo

Hi there. I recently started and uploaded a video to YouTube. Here's the video:

Now, the quality is only in 144p. I use Debut Video Capture software, which is free. I edit it using VideoPad Video editor, which is also free. I want to know, how do i increase the quality with these editors, and is there any free screen capture and video editor out there? Thank you in advance.

Any of several things could be affecting your final resolution.

- What resolution do you run the game in? Does it look good when you play?

- What is your capture software resolution setting? Does the raw output look good?

- What are your export settings in Videopad? I have no trouble exporting HD video on my install. Does the exported video look good?

- Is YouTube smashing your video for some reason?

At what step in the process are you getting output you don't like? Without knowing that, you can't determine which tool needs settings changed.

9 minutes ago, pincushionman said:

Any of several things could be affecting your final resolution.

- What resolution do you run the game in? Does it look good when you play?

- What is your capture software resolution setting? Does the raw output look good?

- What are your export settings in Videopad? I have no trouble exporting HD video on my install. Does the exported video look good?

- Is YouTube smashing your video for some reason?

At what step in the process are you getting output you don't like? Without knowing that, you can't determine which tool needs settings changed.

When I edit the video. That is when the quality changes for the worst.

https://obsproject.com/

See my sig for an example. Of course, there's the Youtube compression, but the raw footage is phenomenal after tweaking settings.

EDIT: sorrynotsorry for the plug. I use Blender for editing, by the way. It's a PITA to learn, but pretty useful once you have, and it's free.

Edited by blorgon

9 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

When I edit the video. That is when the quality changes for the worst.

Post a screenie of the Export Video screen so we can see what settings you're attempting to use - there's a resolution selection on that window.

That's where it should be. Is it coming out right using the Export to Video File? I haven't used Export to YouTube before, so I can't suggest anything about quality if you're using that option. But I assume you're having trouble both ways.

Are you doing a crop and/or a scale? What I saw in a quick check of the YouTube video (while it was still up) was a little video in the middle of a bigger black rectangle. What I see in your screenshot is the video with black bars on the top and bottom, like it recorded a 16:9 window that captured in 4:3 with a reverse letterbox.

Are you cropping those black bars out? After some quick messing around I found if I applied a crop to the video, it doesn't automatically re-scale the clip, so even if you crop out the black bars you'll end up with black bars on your output. You'll need to apply a scale effect to make it fill the window afterwards. Or maybe just make sure your project starts with the correct aspect ratio and just do a scale up. Not sure what's best here.

I don't think that solves the whole problem, but it may be a part of it. I'm also using the Home edition rather than the free trial ($40 well spent, but it's on sale for $30 right now!), so I can't tell whether it's applying trial limitations to you for being outside of 30 days, either. I also haven't used the Debut module before, so I can't comment on whether that might be the problem (in the garbage-in = garbage-out sense). Which is why I asked whether the un-edited capture file was any good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.