Confused about the Wheel Blocked issue

Read into some 1.1.x wheel problem threads. Sounds like the issue has something to do with colliders and clipping.

After reading that, I went back to the rover design I was working on, and offset all my wheels so that they aren't clipping into anything (which is a HUGE pain, since offsetting the wheels in mirror symmetry somehow resets them to radial symmetry, so I had to place the wheels one by one and offset them manually, but that's for another time). Anyway, I do that, and I still get the Wheel Blocked issue on the pad. What gives? The wheels are literally floating in space, not physically touching any other part models.

This is the best I could do for screen shots, since the gaps are very small.

c980255b4f.png

c77450579a.png

9d3a2c9e61.png

Edited by blorgon

19 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Well its the RTG's on the rear wheel most likely and up front that item you have that overlaps the base mount of the suspension is the likely cause.    Have a look here for details on how you can actually tweak a cfg and subtly change how it works

The RTG's are nowhere near the wheels. And the item overlapping the base mount? Why would that be an issue? They're not clipping, the models aren't touching at all.

I also have actually already looked at that thread, and the .cfg changes were strongly discouraged. I don't want to bait the Kraken.

By offsetting my wheels, I was attempting a workaround to this deal-breaking Unity issue. I shouldn't need a workaround for my workaround. I want to understand what's actually happening with the craft in the OP.

Edited by blorgon

clipping detection is a sphere from the wheelCollider's center, slightly larger than the wheelCollider's radius. you have to make sure there's enough clearance in all 3 directions, not just the 2 of the visible wheel mesh.

Edited by nli2work

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.