What do you hate that space agencies are not doing, which is possible?

2 hours ago, RenegadeRad said:

I really hate the wiring, man they can't arrange it properly and attach it in a planned and symmetrical way at the ship walls, or make it contained like modern tech and stuff... OCD... 

WTF? Seriously, form follows function, not aesthetic. Show what is that bad.

23 minutes ago, CptRichardson said:

I hate that they're still funding the SLS when they should be performing the 'shower them with money' gif all over SpaceX.

Government agencies are not allowed to "shower money" over private corporations without following procurement laws.

Well, from the limited information I have... it seems that SpaceX would handily win an open competition against other launch capability providers.

* a Europa/Enceledus lander rather than this BS of manned lunar flights again

* A robotic mars mission to the "Martian Geysers" which may conceivably provide a habitable zone

* A robotic mars mission to a martian cave to look at the conditions away from the surface (radiation shielding makes it more likely that biological signatures may remain.. though perchlorates could still be a major problem

*A mission to Hellas Planitia... it gets above the tripple point of water there.

* A mission to one of the major river channels on Mars, it would be so awesome to find fossil biofilms, but so far, nothing has turned up.... viking 1 and viking 2 couldn't go roving, and landed where the ocean used to be fairly deep, and wouldn't have been shallow until the seas were disappearing and becoming a lot less hospitable (possibly freezing long before that and sublimating away)

Gale crater, where curiosity is... its unclear how long it had water

* Nuclear-Electric propulsion (ie nuclear powered Ion drives, rather than the wimpy solar powered ones)

I wouldn't call it "hate" or something similarly melodramatic, but I am disappointed that nobody has genuinely tried studying artificial gravity through centrifugal force. You know, with actual hardware in space and stuff.

15 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I wouldn't call it "hate" or something similarly melodramatic, but I am disappointed that nobody has genuinely tried studying artificial gravity through centrifugal force. You know, with actual hardware in space and stuff.

Sheesh, you just made them feel worse.

17 hours ago, Streetwind said:

You mean the Centrifuge Accommodations Module?  They made it.  I don't mean they made a blueprint or a anything like that.  They almost finished making it but it was never put on the ISS due to funding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifuge_Accommodations_Module

19 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Earth Moon NEO economy.

Space agencies are part of the government, and the only thing the government can do with an economy is screw it up, they certainly can't create an economy.

18 minutes ago, tater said:

Space agencies are part of the government, and the only thing the government can do with an economy is screw it up, they certainly can't create an economy.

This is too political for this group and its wrong. 

It was political to suggest that space agencies could create an economy where none exists. There is either a market for something, or there isn't. A false economy of servicing an agency isn't a real economy.

Edited by tater

18 hours ago, Streetwind said:

There was a Voskhod mission prepared for that, but it got canceled in favor of N1-L3 and 7K-OK (later Soyuz) projects. 

1 hour ago, ValleyTwo said:

You mean the Centrifuge Accommodations Module?  They made it.  I don't mean they made a blueprint or a anything like that.  They almost finished making it but it was never put on the ISS due to funding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifuge_Accommodations_Module

Yes, precisely. I am disappointed that nothing came of it.

19 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Well, there was Gemini 11. They generated about 0.00015g while tethered to their Agena.

39 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

Well, there was Gemini 11. They generated about 0.00015g while tethered to their Agena.

Oh, good point. Gemini was so well before my time that I tend to overlook its achievements unjustly. Thanks for reminding me. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.