[Help me] Minimum Altitude to orbit around the Mun

Average parking orbit for my missions is 14KM. Nice and safe up there. But for the DOI prior to descent, I drop it to an altitude of about 5.5KM.

I did a mission a while ago to establish that 7KM was also very safe. It just depends at which altitude you feel comfortable.

Average parking orbit for my missions is 14KM. Nice and safe up there. But for the DOI prior to descent, I drop it to an altitude of about 5.5KM.

I did a mission a while ago to establish that 7KM was also very safe. It just depends at which altitude you feel comfortable.

I was more or less roleplaying a recon mission for a downed rocket. I posted about it in the Fan Fiction area. I went around 5-6k a few times before beginning my trip back home. Was pretty safe at 5k, didn\'t notice any pull towards the surface.

I was more or less roleplaying a recon mission for a downed rocket. I posted about it in the Fan Fiction area. I went around 5-6k a few times before beginning my trip back home. Was pretty safe at 5k, didn\'t notice any pull towards the surface.

I\'ll have to give 5 a try. Thanks.

I\'ll have to give 5 a try. Thanks.

If you are using the Mech Jeb, I suggest going down in stages. It uses some extra gas but it works pretty effective for me. I slowly pulled in when I was doing it. Should survive about 2 turns, maybe more.

Your orbit around the Mun won\'t degrade. There is no atmosphere so no aerobraking to upset your orbit. If you set your orbit for 5km then you\'ll stay there forever. Your orbit was probably not perfectly circular so you had the impression you were \'falling\'.

I think you don\'t understand how gravity works.

I jump, gravity pulls me down. All I care to know. I never really was interested fully in Space travel and what not like that and am learning slowly. My \'school\' education is a little low, everything I know is self taught or tutor taught.. I\'m behind a lot on Science.

I jump, gravity pulls me down. All I care to know. I never really was interested fully in Space travel and what not like that and am learning slowly. My \'school\' education is a little low, everything I know is self taught or tutor taught.. I\'m behind a lot on Science.

Nutshell layman explanation related to this thread:

You\'re always getting pulled towards the surface, no matter how low you are. You won\'t suddenly get 'sucked in' for no reason. What makes you not hit the ground is your lateral speed. If the Mun were a perfectly smooth sphere, one could in theory orbit it at 1cm high. Since the Mun is not perfectly smooth, the only problem with low orbits is running headlong into a geological formation. ;D

It\'s the fact that gravity is always pulling you towards the surface that makes an orbit possible.

It\'s the fact that gravity is always pulling you towards the surface that makes an orbit possible.

Ah, I was more so talking about Altitude lowering when I was referring to a pull to the surface. I had a thin grasp that Orbiting is essentially falling but missing the ground. I should\'ve been more specific, aye?

You are partially correct, orbit is a combination of gravity pulling you down, and your horizontal velocity increases your altitude. Imaging a ruler laying across a sphere. This is your horizontal velocity essentially. You can also think of it as a flight path with no gravity. With gravity, it is like bending that ruler. You are moving 'up' at an angle, and gravity pulls you in. Without resistance, you are then curving around. If your horizontal velocity causes an increase in altitude counter to that of the pull of gravity, orbit will increase.

If you get closer, the pull of gravity does get stronger. However whether you escape or create orbit is entirely related to your velocity relative to the suface. So if you are going 4m/s when you hit 4000, you will keep decreasing. Gas up to 1000m/s velocity parallel to surface, off you go. hope that helps clarify.

Attached is Newton\'s nifty explanation of how orbit works. A canon is on hill V firing canonballs to the right. Fire the ball slowly and it does move sideways, but gravity also pulls it down and it lands at D. Fire it a little faster and gravity still pulls it down just as hard, but it\'s also moving sideways faster, so the ball goes father before landing at E. Fire the ball somewhat faster, and as the ball travels, the earth curves away underneath it, so the ball goes even farther before hitting the ground at F, and faster/further still at B down there. But at a certain speed, the orbital speed, the earth (or whatever) curves away at the same rate that the canonball falls/flies. The ball really is falling (freefall), but will just keep falling and never hit the earth. Of course, this illustration pretends earth has no atmosphere to slow the ball down, but the idea still works if you just imagine the mountain sticks up out of the atmosphere.

Newton. Figured this out. In 1687. 270 years before Sputnik actually did it for the first time.

(So nobody gets into any kind of legal troube, I copied the picture from here.)

Ah, I was more so talking about Altitude lowering when I was referring to a pull to the surface. I had a thin grasp that Orbiting is essentially falling but missing the ground. I should\'ve been more specific, aye?

Yep. That\'s about all there is to keeping a spaceflight going for any decent amount of time, you just have to fall and miss the ground.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to Necro but, I just hit the side of a mountain between 4 and 5km. It was an equatorial orbit and the mountain was the rim of one of the larger craters I think. I would have cleared it if I had about a hundred or so more meters.

The wiki says the highest peek is 7061.1416 m at 82° 31′ 5″ S 152° 19′ 31″ W so 6 or 7km is probably safe for most equatorial orbits with anything higher than 7.5 being safe for polar orbits.

There won't be any pull as there is no atmosphere to slow down you orbital speed. Get below 5k and there is the risk of running into a mountain peak.

Sorry to Necro but, I just hit the side of a mountain between 4 and 5km. It was an equatorial orbit and the mountain was the rim of one of the larger craters I think. I would have cleared it if I had about a hundred or so more meters.

The wiki says the highest peek is 7061.1416 m at 82° 31′ 5″ S 152° 19′ 31″ W so 6 or 7km is probably safe for most equatorial orbits with anything higher than 7.5 being safe for polar orbits.

Agree. I'll always set it to 15km due to my lander are "slow" to slow-down. Made room for some error.