I've got some cash- what Flight Sim to buy?

ZooNamedGames

18 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

True. I'm still considering getting it after I find a good joystick for my computer I have one that my father bought sometime in th 1990s, but with the advances in computer tchnology since then, my laptop doesn't have any ports that the joystick will fit in. In fact, the plug on the stick is slightly thicker than my laptop when it's unfolded...

If you do want a good looking combat flight simulator though, there is Rise of Flight. I have it, but haven't been able to get into it because of my lack of a joystick.

..Oh.

IL-2's difficult to play with just the keyboard and mouse though, but it also has a lot of mods. I guess the graphics are only slightly worse than FSX, but the graphics in the latest version (not 4.07) iz pretty improved, and there are mods out there to improve IL-2's graphics.

2 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Wait to save enough for a new machine - 300$ will buy a machine that will serve you well, at least as far as KSP is concerned.

Well I don't have $300 and I won't for some time. Unless someone wants to be gracious and do something about.

-————

so yeah I was after normal non combat flight sims, since I've played combat sims before- nothing new. 

But I ended up buying MFX and it's hard!

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

True. I'm still considering getting it after I find a good joystick for my computer. I have one that my father bought sometime in the 1990s, but with the advances in computer technology since then, my laptop doesn't have any ports that the joystick will fit in. In fact, the plug on the stick is slightly thicker than my laptop when it's unfolded...

If you do want a good looking combat flight simulator though, there is Rise of Flight. I have it, but haven't been able to get into it because of my lack of a joystick.

Flightstick Pro by CH Products. They look clunky but are very well made and rock solid. Your dad's might be one of them but they're USB now.

One of the cool things is that it comes with controller software; you can hook up multiple controllers and turn them into a single "virtual" controller for your game, and use different configuration for different games. You might want to have your throttle quadrant behave differently for Sturmovik than for FSX. Or even have different setups for 4-engined aircraft versus 2-engined aircraft, and whatnot.

46 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Congrats! Easy does it! Airplanes require a light touch, unlike the fairly brusk handling that KSP requires. Tip: learn the keystrokes for trimming the elevators as quickly as possible. Once you've trimmed your airplane for horizontal flight you can concentrate on trivial things like navigation. Tip 2: at least for single prop airplanes, throttle controls your rate of ascent/descent, attitude controls your speed. Of course not directly, but if you're flying straight and level and you want to climb, it's throttle that needs to be increased, and then adjust your attitude to climb at the desired speed. Reverse for changing velocity while maintaining altitude.

11 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well I don't have $300 and I won't for some time. Unless someone wants to be gracious and do something about.

-————

so yeah I was after normal non combat flight sims, since I've played combat sims before- nothing new. 

The acronym is usually FSX :wink:

What aircraft are you using? The Cessnas and Beechcraft Barons are fun to fly, and the B737's a good place to start for airliners.

7 hours ago, Columbia said:

The acronym is usually FSX :wink:

What aircraft are you using? The Cessnas and Beechcraft Barons are fun to fly, and the B737's a good place to start for airliners.

I've used the A321 and the Trike so far.

Im hosting a livestream using MFX now, and there's a thread for it :P:) 

22 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Unless someone wants to be gracious and do something about.

Stop begging for money or a computer. If you want something new, get a job and start saving up.

28 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Stop begging for money or a computer. If you want something new, get a job and start saving up.

Then stop mentioning getting hardware. The topic is games- not hardware. I'll stop when you guys stop mentioning it.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Then stop mentioning getting hardware. The topic is games- not hardware. I'll stop when you guys stop mentioning it.

Your hardware is not really up to snuff, so suggesting an upgrade is, in all honesty, pretty decent advice. That does not mean people should or would just give it to you. As with most things in life, you need to spend some energy to make things better, which in this case means starting a computer fund and making some cash to fill it so you can buy some neat hardware down the line.

25 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Your hardware is not really up to snuff, so suggesting an upgrade is, in all honesty, pretty decent advice. That does not mean people should or would just give it to you. As with most things in life, you need to spend some energy to make things better, which in this case means starting a computer fund and making some cash to fill it so you can buy some neat hardware down the line.

I didn't ask for technical advice- I asked for games.

I see this conversation has ended, anyway. I hope to see some of you at my stream Wednesday :) .

Edited by ZooNamedGames

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I didn't ask for technical advice- I asked for games.

Modern games will not run on that computer, or it will have a lot of trouble running them. It would be safe to assume you do not want games recommended to you that will never run on your system, right?

Look, I am not out to give you a hard time. I am trying to save you from a disappointment. Spending money on a game that turns out not to run really is no fun.

21 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Modern games will not run on that computer, or it will have a lot of trouble running them. It would be safe to assume you do not want games recommended to you that will never run on your system, right?

Look, I am not out to give you a hard time. I am trying to save you from a disappointment. Spending money on a game that turns out not to run really is no fun.

My system has run plenty of games above its technical abilities and limbed through them for plenty of satisfaction. I can live with the lag, I get it with every game console I play so PC will be nothing new.