[1.7.0] KSP Rescue Pod Validator (no more kerbals spawning in inflatable modules!)

Shadowmage

16 hours ago, visssius said:

Hello and congratulations for the amazing work you did! I started to play the game with kerbalism mod and it is going so well... i love it!
But i have met a issue i think:
When i accepted a normal rescue mission in low orbit of Kerbin and went there to save the pure kerbal, he was stranded inside a "sunrise" habitation mudule... with no way to get out "Can't exit. Module has no hatch."... so my question is: was that made on porpuse? is it a bug? couse with no door he can't get out to be rescued... there is no docking port and stuff like that. Of course I installed also Kis and Kas mods but is that how it should be played? and not as stand alone mod?
Keep up the good work!

Hello guys. I started a new game with "Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux" in 1.10.  Will this work to solve my problem?

Edited by Val
Added quote for context

2 hours ago, visssius said:

Hello guys. I started a new game with "Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux" in 1.10.  Will this work to solve my problem?

I don't think it will solve any problem between this mod and Kerbalism, no.  If you look at the OP for this thread it says: "The pods that are 'valid' are configurable via a simple config file, the default configuration file only includes stock command pods."  So, if you're using a mod that changes one of those stock parts to not have a hatch, you're out of luck.  Or, again as the OP states: "Other 'valid' pods can be added by end-users through module manager (recommended) or manual edits (not recommended).  See the included .cfg file for details / node names / etc."

You should be able to fix your problem on a go-forward basis with a little light reading... this current mission, if the rescue is already created and in a part without a hatch, you should probably abandon it.

3 hours ago, Idleness said:

I don't think it will solve any problem between this mod and Kerbalism, no.  If you look at the OP for this thread it says: "The pods that are 'valid' are configurable via a simple config file, the default configuration file only includes stock command pods."  So, if you're using a mod that changes one of those stock parts to not have a hatch, you're out of luck.  Or, again as the OP states: "Other 'valid' pods can be added by end-users through module manager (recommended) or manual edits (not recommended).  See the included .cfg file for details / node names / etc."

You should be able to fix your problem on a go-forward basis with a little light reading... this current mission, if the rescue is already created and in a part without a hatch, you should probably abandon it.

The issue @visssius is having is that numerous parts from Station Parts Expansion Redux don't have their own hatches, which this mod will fix by not letting those parts spawn for rescue missions.

I don't believe Kerbalism makes any changes to the existence of hatches on stock parts, so that shouldn't interfere.

53 minutes ago, TBenz said:

The issue @visssius is having is that numerous parts from Station Parts Expansion Redux don't have their own hatches, which this mod will fix by not letting those parts spawn for rescue missions.

I don't believe Kerbalism makes any changes to the existence of hatches on stock parts, so that shouldn't interfere.

Oh, okay.  Must have been patched in either manually, or by .cfg then as the OP says "only includes stock command pods".  As in, I believe the mod works as a positive list only - it has to been in this mod's configuration to be included.  For SPXR modules to be included means someone made an additional change.  Or I completely misunderstand. :D

3 hours ago, Idleness said:

Oh, okay.  Must have been patched in either manually, or by .cfg then as the OP says "only includes stock command pods".  As in, I believe the mod works as a positive list only - it has to been in this mod's configuration to be included.  For SPXR modules to be included means someone made an additional change.  Or I completely misunderstand. :D

For context. Vissius had been playing with SSPXR *without this mod* and ran into the issue with the Sunrise. They posted about it in the SSPXR thread, and was directed to this mod to fix their issue. They then posted here, presumably to double-check that this is the correct mod to fix the problem, and that it would work in 1.10 with Kerbalism. As far as I am aware, it should work fine.

Somewhat of a side comment. I've been cutting back on the number of mods I use in the hope that I might minimize random KSP crashes to desktop. This is one I've cut out (not implying that this one is necessarily relating to any crashes - just giving background). I've taken to an alternative approach to the problem of rescuing kerbals in pods without hatches. I just use a grabber to grab the whole pod. Combine with enough retrorocket power to avoid burning up on entry, and then a surplus of parachutes. Probably wouldn't work with the inflatables mentioned in the thread title, but it works for the cases I've run into.

14 hours ago, rmaine said:

Somewhat of a side comment. I've been cutting back on the number of mods I use in the hope that I might minimize random KSP crashes to desktop. This is one I've cut out (not implying that this one is necessarily relating to any crashes - just giving background). I've taken to an alternative approach to the problem of rescuing kerbals in pods without hatches. I just use a grabber to grab the whole pod. Combine with enough retrorocket power to avoid burning up on entry, and then a surplus of parachutes. Probably wouldn't work with the inflatables mentioned in the thread title, but it works for the cases I've run into.

Using the Klaw is a viable solution. And you don't even need to bring the debris down with you, you can transfer crew between parts connected by the Klaw. So just send up a ship with an extra seat, attach to the debris, and transfer the crewmember over to your ship. SSPXR also has some klaw-like parts that are designed to look like crew passable tubes.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:36 AM, TBenz said:

Using the Klaw is a viable solution. And you don't even need to bring the debris down with you, you can transfer crew between parts connected by the Klaw. So just send up a ship with an extra seat, attach to the debris, and transfer the crewmember over to your ship. SSPXR also has some klaw-like parts that are designed to look like crew passable tubes.

Ah. Thanks for the suggestion about transferring crew when connected. For some reason that hadn't occurred to me. Just now tried it out. Works fine. Makes reentry and landing a lot easier than dragging the whole disabled pod back in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.