is there a 1.1.X compatible gimbal trim mod?

JoseEduardo

the ones I know that give this ability are Sarbian's km_gimbal and auto trim, but these two are outdated, is there another mod that does something similar out there?

the reason I'm asking is that Buran/Energia and Shuttle style rockets are a PITA to reduce the torque caused by the offset...

29 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

the ones I know that give this ability are Sarbian's km_gimbal and auto trim, but these two are outdated, is there another mod that does something similar out there?

the reason I'm asking is that Buran/Energia and Shuttle style rockets are a PITA to reduce the torque caused by the offset...

If you don't locate one... I'll probably whip up something for the SSTU Series-E when I get a chance to re-work/re-integrate it into the mod.  Being able to trim specific engines right in the VAB would be quite helpful for shuttles, or other asymmetric craft; bonus points if it has multiple trim presets or other flight-time dynamic adjustment capability.

12 minutes ago, genericeventhandler said:

Throttle Controlled Avionics might be what you are looking for,  it reduces the thrust to balance out thrust through the middle of the COM

Thanks! I'll give it a try, looks quite interesting, but I'm not sure if it's going to work in a Energia config, where the thrust comes exclusively from the booster, I'll report in if it works or not after trying it out :)

as I suspected, it works with shuttle-based designs, but not energia-based designs, where the side payload just sits there and all the thrust comes from the booster, in such design it often reduces the thrust too much, and it even cut-off my core engines after the side boosters separation...

these need a gimbal trimming, and unfortunately stock doesn't allow that unless you rotate the engines

EDIT: ok, after fiddling with the configs I managed to achieve orbit with a Energia-Buran, this mod helps a lot, not perfect for what I want (in thrust we trust) but helps a lot :) thanks again for the suggestion!

Edited by JoseEduardo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.