Are kerbals more or less advanced than humans?

The Optimist

It seems that for most Earth technologies there is a Kerbal analogue. However, Kerbals can somehow have reaction wheels that don't saturate, highly efficient solar panels, and have developed nuclear engines.But their engines are heavier than Earth engines who possess similar characteristics. We do not know very much about their culture, but given their peaceful start of their space program versus our cold war nuclear-fueled manic space race. Kerbalkind has unlocked the power of nuclear energy as evidenced by the RTG and the NERVA equivalent engine, though they seem to have used it for peace. And why wouldn't they, when there aren't any enemies to fight?

However, there are no signs of civilization other than at the KSC, KSC2, the island airfield, and at some of the easter eggs around the planet. This indicates that Kerbalkind is a race dedicated to space exploration, and nothing else. 

On Earth, we possess more efficient conventional technologies and have nearly mastered the art of making wheels, unlike Kerbalkind. However, our space programs are not very well funded. Humanity is divided by borders and minor differences, which undermines many of our efforts on many different fronts. Also, our computers are not yet capable of independently deciding where to go without guidance, which is probably a good thing.

Kerbals are more advanced because they're almost extinct. The fact that you said, " However, there are no signs of civilization other than at the KSC, KSC2, the island airfield, and at some of the easter eggs around the planet", points out that they have most likely suffered a disaster (natural or not) that killed most of them. The planet is uninhabitable, meaning that they have to go elsewhere. Hence, why even on Kerbin they have their suits on. The buildings were probably built before this happened, or maybe after (I'm not sure). The rockets are insanely better because they have been inventing new rockets. They have to be focused on space. That is why. 

Well...

There is no easy answer for this question.

Kerbals are more advanced than us in some things, but in other things, such as solid rocket boosters, we have better tech...

They can travel to any planet, but their solar system is tiny so we can't really count that...

Overall I would say they are generally more advanced because a lot of their tech is based on future ideas we have. The RAPIER engine for example is based of the UK's SABRE engine, that isn't supposed to be even used until like 2020 I think.

Maybe if NASA, (and everyone else too) has 4% of the federal budget again we would be better than them :)

3 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Kerbals are more advanced because they're almost extinct. The fact that you said, " However, there are no signs of civilization other than at the KSC, KSC2, the island airfield, and at some of the easter eggs around the planet", points out that they have most likely suffered a disaster (natural or not) that killed most of them. The planet is uninhabitable, meaning that they have to go elsewhere. Hence, why even on Kerbin they have their suits on. The buildings were probably built before this happened, or maybe after (I'm not sure). The rockets are insanely better because they have been inventing new rockets. They have to be focused on space. That is why. 

Or devs were just realized there were more important things to put in the game then cities and taking off helmets in Kerbin...

12 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

they have most likely suffered a disaster (natural or not) that killed most of them.

...turns out that they've been playing KSP for a long time.

Just now, MacLeod-Industries said:

Looks they got some ideas from BD Armory...

No, it's just that there's actually only one pool of available kerbals, and every time one of you guys kills off another kerbal and hires a new one, you're yanking one more from the pool.

Given the typical career of most KSP players, is it any wonder that the kerbals are an endangered species?  :0.0:

Just now, Snark said:

No, it's just that there's actually only one pool of available kerbals, and every time one of you guys kills off another kerbal and hires a new one, you're yanking one more from the pool.

Given the typical career of most KSP players, is it any wonder that the kerbals are an endangered species?  :0.0:

XD Wow...

I resurrect my Kerbals though! My kerbals rarely die normally. Mostly the game crashes mid flight... and when I load the game I found they crashed to their doom...

Is that a Tardigrade for your profile picture?

1 minute ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

Is that a Tardigrade for your profile picture?

(pssssst, don't tell anyone, but I am a tardigrade.  How do you think I've survived this long in the forums?  We're all about survival.  Makes for very slow typing, though.  Have to get a few hundred friends together and we all jump up and down on each key in unison.)

Just now, Snark said:

(pssssst, don't tell anyone, but I am a tardigrade.  How do you think I've survived this long in the forums?  We're all about survival.  Makes for very slow typing, though.  Have to get a few hundred friends together and we all jump up and down on each key in unison.)

...Wow...

xD

Were you one of the ones we put in space?

22 minutes ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

snip

Or devs were just realized there were more important things to put in the game then cities and taking off helmets in Kerbin...

Or maybe it's more than just that...

2 minutes ago, Snark said:

Meanwhile on Kerbin, there is a 5 million mile tunnelsystem with several dozen large underground cities home to 700 million Kerbals. Their lack of sunlight may be the cause for their green skin. The only reason they have anything build above ground level is because rockets do not go well through a crusty surface. Boats and planes is something they only do for fun and experimenting. When Kerbals do not find bacterial microbes on the surface of a extraterrestrial body they do not claim life is impossible at the target body in question. This is because Kerbals expect other advanced life to live underground where they most expect it. Because of their underground origin Kerbals have excellent drilling techniques, and are farther then humans in drilling, extracting, processing, synthesizing compounds. This is why they have a ISRU converter that is lightweight and mobile ready for space transport. All this while still stuck with regular rocket technology.

Obviously the lack of life on Kerbin is due to the fact of it's size and lack of a sufficient iron core. Radiatian above Kerbins MSL is to much for most life to survive for to long, and now you know why Kerbals have their suits on while walking on Kerbin. The green stuff the planet is painted with simply isn't grass, but a dominant mineral rich soil that is green. 
How Kerbin ever got populated is a mystery, since the planet is likely not that life friendly as we may believe, but ancient writings may suspect that Kerbals came from another planet, and their skin was once off white color.

14 minutes ago, Vaporized Steel said:

Meanwhile on Kerbin, there is a 5 million mile tunnelsystem with several dozen large underground cities home to 700 million Kerbals. Their lack of sunlight may be the cause for their green skin. The only reason they have anything build above ground level is because rockets do not go well through a crusty surface. Boats and planes is something they only do for fun and experimenting. When Kerbals do not find bacterial microbes on the surface of a extraterrestrial body they do not claim life is impossible at the target body in question. This is because Kerbals expect other advanced life to live underground where they most expect it. Because of their underground origin Kerbals have excellent drilling techniques, and are farther then humans in drilling, extracting, processing, synthesizing compounds. This is why they have a ISRU converter that is lightweight and mobile ready for space transport. All this while still stuck with regular rocket technology.

Obviously the lack of life on Kerbin is due to the fact of it's size and lack of a sufficient iron core. Radiatian above Kerbins MSL is to much for most life to survive for to long, and now you know why Kerbals have their suits on while walking on Kerbin. The green stuff the planet is painted with simply isn't grass, but a dominant mineral rich soil that is green. 
How Kerbin ever got populated is a mystery, since the planet is likely not that life friendly as we may believe, but ancient writings may suspect that Kerbals came from another planet, and their skin was once off white color.

But a surface sample indicates that the soil is actually just dirt with some grass mixed in.

1 hour ago, Vaporized Steel said:

How come the sciency engineers in the VAB have the doors wide open then? They aren't in suits...

30 minutes ago, MacLeod-Industries said:

How come the sciency engineers in the VAB have the doors wide open then? They aren't in suits...

Force field, perhaps?  Allow the natural light to flood in, save on power generation requirements because they have to run the field anyway?

11 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

The question makes no sense.  They have no context.  The only real answers to this question are things you make up.

Which is why I replied in a funny, and questionably inaccurate way, because this thread kind off deserves a non answer.

Kinda disappointed I get rectified with the bloody obvious by 2 members. Kerbals are fictional in any way you look at them, so you can basically say what you want about them whatever it is.

When you go actually technical then every part, sattelite, object, creature (only kerbals) are unrealistic, and also all the other things.....name it and it's unrealistic. So to have a serious debate about unrealistic parts versus real life human rocketry, euhum, I think the thread is asking users to try and name them, but it's no real conversation anyway, so I won't even seriously go there^_^

That others are attempting to seriously go there, is lolol by itself.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

2 minutes ago, Vaporized Steel said:

Which is why I replied in a funny, and questionably inaccurate way, because this thread kind off deserves a non answer.

Apologies, I thought it was a serious question, I figured fan fiction would get posted in fan works.

58 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

The question makes no sense.  They have no context.  The only real answers to this question are things you make up.

You're meant to derive your knowledge from actual known facts, not to make up random theories. We're assuming that the empty Kerbin we see right now is how it is canonically, not because the game devs aren't crazy enough to add cities

4 hours ago, Snark said:

On the plus side though, You don't really NEED a spacesuit in space or inside a volcano. Don't you live to be thousands of years old too? :)

I would probably concur that Kerbals are slightly more advanced than us squishy hoomans.

Edited by SpaceMouse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.