Achievement notifications with cutscenes / commentary

This might be a KSP 2.0 thing, but I'd love to see a cutscene or at least a text screen that opens when I've made a landmark achievement - first manned orbit, first walk on a moon, arrival at each new stellar body, discovery of new landmarks, etc. There could even be bad ones for first crash, first kerbalnaut death, etc.

Think - Kerbal News Network (KNN) reporting on the latest dramatic event for the budding space program.

It would be fun, call out achievements and could also be used to insert more Kerbal storyline into the game. I realize this would be a time-sink, that's why I'm suggesting for future after 1.x is rock solid, but it sure could be fun and very Kerbalish

awww..If done right it could be really fun to see a short clip of 2 KNN reporters talking about how Jeb made one for step for Kerbals...etc.

If not a video, then a text article that pops up, tells a brief story with some commentary about the flight and the successful mission.

Hmmmmm.   Not sure about cut scenes,  I think they could get quite irritating if repeated and/or too long.  A pop up notification that's unique to each situation and looks like a newspaper front page headline with maybe an automatically taken screen shot from the mission in question could be a nice touch. 

23 hours ago, tjt said:

awww..If done right it could be really fun to see a short clip of 2 KNN reporters talking about how Jeb made one for step for Kerbals...etc.

If not a video, then a text article that pops up, tells a brief story with some commentary about the flight and the successful mission.

If it were something like an achievement that popped up in the corner and you could click on it to read the 'newspaper', that would be fine.  However, we already sorta have that because of the missions. But anything that interrupts the gameplay without warning... even if you can click through it is not good.  That is why I say no cutscenes.  They are distracting, and after the first time, irritating.

8 minutes ago, Alshain said:

If it were something like an achievement that popped up in the corner and you could click on it to read the 'newspaper', that would be fine.  However, we already sorta have that because of the missions. But anything that interrupts the gameplay without warning... even if you can click through it is not good.  That is why I say no cutscenes.  They are distracting, and after the first time, irritating.

Totally agree. I hate games that do this.

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Totally agree. I hate games that do this.

Lol, well I don't hate it in all games, some games cutscenes work well, but they are designed for it.  Blizzard and Final Fantasy games are well known for it, and they do it fairly well.  This game however, I can just imagine the problems of touching down on a planet, the craft isn't quite stable so you use RCS to .... CUTSCENE!

Edited by Alshain

agreed 100% that they have to be done right and I wasn't suggesting something that interrupts the flow of play. I hate those too! 

1. They would be selectable under the same tab where you see completed contracts. You have a contract to orbit the first Kerbol, so you complete the contract and the notifier that shows the contract complete links to the KNN article
  2. They would not repeat. they'd be tied to specific "firsts" - the first landing on the Mun or Duna, etc, not EVERY time you touch down.

I don't want play flow interrupted either. That said, it would be cool, after spending many hours to plan and execute my first Duna flyby, to have some form of recognition from the game that I'd made it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.