GregroxMun's Miscellaneous Development Thread

Hey, do y'all remember when Duna looked young and not so wrinkly and old and dumb? I maintain that one of the worst things they ever did in KSP is change the appearance of Duna in 0.21.

screenshot15.png

I found something that is promising enough to potentially result in bringing this back.

EDIT: Disclaimer: The above screenshot is from before 0.21, NOT from 1.1.3.

Edited by GregroxMun

The following screenshots were taken in 1.1.3.

http://imgur.com/a/ZRHkc

fEEVbp4.png

R55H28n.png

HGwbxGh.png

cJsF5Ow.png

It is important to note that this is not a perfect reproduction of the original Duna by any means. It does not have the same level of detail as the original 0.17 Duna at all. But it does have roughly the same heightmap and appearance, and looks a heck of a lot better than the piece of junk from 0.21+. This will be released as a standalone mod, but will also be released into Revamped Stock Solar System 0.5. (In a more modified form.)

I'll use a permissive license so that it can be modified and improved upon. I may not do a biome map.

EDIT: Surface:

nZGWT1z.png

YmqcWR2.png

NQfTyN8.png

Edited by GregroxMun

22 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

The following screenshots were taken in 1.1.3.

http://imgur.com/a/ZRHkc

fEEVbp4.png

R55H28n.png

HGwbxGh.png

cJsF5Ow.png

It is important to note that this is not a perfect reproduction of the original Duna by any means. It does not have the same level of detail as the original 0.17 Duna at all. But it does have roughly the same heightmap and appearance, and looks a heck of a lot better than the piece of junk from 0.21+. This will be released as a standalone mod, but will also be released into Revamped Stock Solar System 0.5. (In a more modified form.)

I'll use a permissive license so that it can be modified and improved upon. I may not do a biome map.

I prefer the current RevSS Duna, thanks.

18 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

I prefer the current RevSS Duna, thanks.

WHY DID YOU QUOTE THE WHOLE FREAKING POST! Cut out the images for Kraken's sake!

And the current RevSS Duna is actually crap. Additionally, you haven't even seen the modifications I've made for RevSS.

• 2 weeks later...

World Building with Gregrox
A Kopernicus Livestream

What?

I will be doing a livestream wherein I design and build a planet for Kopernicus plugin. The resulting body will probably be put into the upcoming planet pack The Holy System of the VerniansThe stream is going to cover how to make a Kopernicus planet in my stockalike art style.

l1jjMWN.png

When?

The stream will take place this Saturday (August 27th, 2016), somewhere between 9:00AM and 8:00PM EDT (1:00PM-12:00AM GMT). The exact time is yet to be decided, and the stream is not likely to last more than four hours.

Who?

Me, GregroxMun. Creator of several Kopernicus mod projects. My current main projects are Revamped Stock Solar System and The Holy System of the Vernians.

So far it looks like in addition to me and whoever else wants to watch, we could have Kopernicus developer Thomas in the chat for some of the time, as well as GalacticNeighbor (Sigma88). This is not a guarantee, of course. They are real people with real schedules of their own, so this is subject to change. Of course, hopefully you'll be content watching the stream itself.

Generally I have 4 regulars. Me, the streamer; Nightbot, the auto-modderator; GalacticNeighbor, who is also known as Sigma88; and someone who accidentally clicked on my channel link.

Where?

My twitch channel at http://www.twitch.tv/gregroxmun. If you want a little preview of what my streams are like, here's a little sample.

Why?

Several Reasons:

• I used to love streaming myself playing Kerbal Space Program. But when I started modding the game, my love for playing the game diminished. I still play sometimes, but I mod a lot more of the time. And I do miss streaming, and I'm sure some of my viewers miss me as well.
  • Some people have asked me how I make planets the way I do, or how I make gas giant textures.
  • I asked on Twitter if people would watch a livestream of building a planet, and no one voted no.

How?

I intend to show more or less the full process of making a Kopernicus Planet, and the steps involved. I will cover the following:

• Tools that I use to make planets.
  • Creation of Kopernicus config files and usage of Module Manager as it applies to Kopernicus.
  • General Worldbuilding tips and formulas/equations.
  • Heightmap texture creation.
  • Exporting of maps using KittopiaTech.
  • Customizing of exported textures.
  • Usage and customization of PQSMods and other Kopernicus features.
  • Practical use of all of these in creating a planet.
  • Debugging planets.

Note that I will not cover all of this at the same detail. The assumption is that you already know or can figure out how to do some basic stuff with Kopernicus. I won't stop and explain everything perfectly. This isn't scripted after all, and I'm probably going to make a few mistakes along the way. I don't always get everything right the first time, and I'm sure other modders don't either. Also note that I do sometimes do things a little differently than other Kopernicus modders or the way other tutorials teach things.

Other?

• I am not a professional streamer. That said, I have a decent internet and a fairly good setup. There will be some lag or stuttering in all likelihood, but I will endeavor to cut it down as much as possible. Don't come in with KSPTV expectations, you will be disappointed.
  • If after about an hour no one is watching, I will consider ending much earlier. It's easier to do planet building when you're not streaming, so if there's no one watching, there's no benefit to continuing.
  • I am trying to maximize viewership, which is why I'm writing an announcement post in the first place. I usually don't announce my streams in advance.
  • There are a couple of things I'm not sure about, and I would like you opinion on them.

What is the best time for you to watch me stream? (Twitter Poll Here)

• Times are in Eastern Daylight Time (GMT-4)

What do you want me to build? (Straw Poll Here)

• Gas Giant textures take much less time and the stream will probably last much less time.
  • Some of these are harder than others.

I've been GregroxMun, and I'll see y'all later.

Unrelatedly, here's a Sudric revamp. I added some billowy noise so the terrain is a little more varied. It's also quite a bit snowier.

http://imgur.com/a/cFNMp

LFLlif5.png

m4LhtJM.png

UqSMrmj.png

cnthK2k.png

Edited by GregroxMun

After a successful stream, I have decided I want to do more. Stay tuned for next Saturday, perhaps.

The power went out about 2/3 the way through, so it's cut into two streams. Full stream part one, and full stream part two.

Here's just the part about making the texture.

Here's the gas giant texture finished:

dYAjEuS.png

We also made a rocky/icy moon of the gas giant.

pQJQJLh.png

206GoFk.png

RejuvenatedDuna is becoming a fully fledged Duna Restoration Project now. :D

http://imgur.com/a/DF6XQ

LnM13Yo.png

N67qJIu.png

BZrwknC.png

I can't release it quite yet, because it requires a W.I.P. build of Kopernicus that itself needs to be released first. I'm also still working on making sure the PQS is correct and figuring out how to make the ground materials look good is really tricky. But yeah, we pretty much have a legit Restored Duna. :D

So yesterday I thought to myself, "could you use a smoothed planet as a runway?" About 6 hours later I ended up with this:

bGkxNAE.png

(Album of attempted tire-assisted lithobraking)

It's actually using a Vall clone as its template. The color is procedural height based + blended color map. The planet is largely procedural, and yet I still have this flat area? How did I do it? It's all thanks to some clever PQS Trickery and this heightmap:

4mah1ol.png

I won't show what I did to make this work, I'll leave that as an exercise to the viewer. You're free to use the above heightmap if you want.

Essentially, what I do is this:

1. All the planet's conventional terrain stuff.
  2. Make the planet Prolate. (stretched out on the poles)
  3. FlattenOcean.
  4. Remove the Prolateness from the planet. (Essentially making it more oblate and into a normal sphere)
  5. Colors.

I intended to livestream this, but I just didn't feel like it. 

The DarkMultiPlayer mod, while buggy for sure, is compatible with mods that add/remove/change planets, as long as they're always the same planets. So why not make a mod that allows you to select between two different homeworlds, and play in a shared universe with different homeworlds? This is what @Sigma88 and I have been testing today. Using the Kerbulus Mod, I played on Kerbin while Sigma played on Kerbulus. The actual content of the gameplay was somewhat less militaristic than Kerbfleet Comics would suggest, with Sigma sending me a very nice gift that I had to fetch from a Polar Orbit.

On 9/11/2016 at 6:42 PM, GregroxMun said:

The DarkMultiPlayer mod, while buggy for sure, is compatible with mods that add/remove/change planets, as long as they're always the same planets. So why not make a mod that allows you to select between two different homeworlds, and play in a shared universe with different homeworlds? This is what @Sigma88 and I have been testing today. Using the Kerbulus Mod, I played on Kerbin while Sigma played on Kerbulus. The actual content of the gameplay was somewhat less militaristic than Kerbfleet Comics would suggest, with Sigma sending me a very nice gift that I had to fetch from a Polar Orbit.

What would be even cooler is to have GN or a similar mod, and simulate first contact, bracewell probes, etc...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was inspired by this image that I found on twitter to make a world with similar terrain structures as Pluto. It started out as an experiment, trying to see if I could make the cellular terrain accurately. I then realized it had potential, and added stuff on until it became worldy enough to put on a planet.

The moon is called Mutel, and it's an icy body with a slushy liquid water ocean beneath it. It was originally planned to have a thick atmosphere, but I'm not sure how that would look, and I would need to experiment some with that.

http://imgur.com/a/TAe8l

bXqLICa.png

Ra0TNNm.png

MoLnNEN.png

Incidentally, this does give me a few ideas for my other projects. Since the design document for HSoV calls for an atmospheric icy moon where Mutel is, I will try an atmosphere on this object. If it ends up looking like crap, I won't be able to use this object as Mutel. But that's fine, because I would be able to repurpose the heightmap for Alternis Kerbol and make Eeloo look different and maybe even interesting enough to visit. Additionally, this style of terrain, combined with Europan charactaristics, is perhaps a decent idea for an Eeloo Revamp for Revamped Stock System. (The RevSSS design document calls for Eeloo to be like "If Pluto and Europa had a baby.") I'm imagining Europa-like scratches and valleys combined with some cellular terrain and "floating" mountains. It's going to be a challenge for sure.

I stayed up way too late working on this. Wow. It's midnight already.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.