What does KSP mean to you?

TheKosanianMethod

43 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

Weird, when I saw this post initially it was posted '42 minutes ago'.

I had to go back to the previous page and back to the post to check you hadn't tied your text to the post time somehow. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2016 at 4:16 PM, Vermil said:

Uhm,.. sorry to say this, but:

Success.

I'm forced to think, try and test hard enough to succeed.
And I do. Of course I haven't tried and succeeded with everything yet. That's why there's still a point to play the game.

I don't do failures. When there's something going wrong in an unmanned test, it's a success. 

And it also means a strange family of 15 astronauts (I'm amazed they are so many when I count them, because I know each of them so well, everyone with their own personality, they don't seem so many) and two quirky engineers, and one aloof and half insane director.

They're a lot of fun.

Are they successfull failures? 

Besides that I like science and math and the game allows me to visualize equations in an entertaining way, is the fact that the purpose of the game is not about killing things. In fact, I feel obligated to keep my Kerbals alive. When I stranded Valintina on Mun, my first thought was how to launch a rescue mission to save her. If you think about it, FPS are about eliminating things from the game; KSP is about adding things to the game.

On 9/5/2016 at 1:29 PM, Ty Tan Tu said:

Besides that I like science and math and the game allows me to visualize equations in an entertaining way, is the fact that the purpose of the game is not about killing things. In fact, I feel obligated to keep my Kerbals alive. When I stranded Valintina on Mun, my first thought was how to launch a rescue mission to save her. If you think about it, FPS are about eliminating things from the game; KSP is about adding things to the game.

KSP is my favorite video game - ever. And I've played a lot. But nothing has ever given me the level of satisfaction as what I've done in this game. Also like you said, it is not in any way a combat-oriented game. On a facebook group the other day I mentioned one of the things I admired most about KSP was its lack of violence - only to have a dozen or so cretins who don't understand the difference between danger and violence crow about crashing spacecraft and such. That was annoying. 

The ultimate sandbox. I can build and design whatever I want. I can add whatever I want to the base game. And the part that makes it so much better is that not everything will work. I still have to abide to some basic rules. The ability for Kerbals limited emotive reactions and my own insane flying to make them into robust characters is also very important to me. KSP is a blank slate with all the tools required to make something beautiful.

The biggest thing for me is on-the-fly fixes to things going wrong. No, I don't mean the Alt-Hold-F12 trick. I'm working on some stuff that'll hopefully add more of it to the game. I'm talking Apollo 13, square peg in a round hole type stuff. 

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.