Space junk

50 minutes ago, Spaceman83 said:

Hey i have a question of space junk! I have been playing career mode now couple of weeks and i have noticed that kerbin orbit start to fill with rocket junk so my question does it causing severe hazard for my future flights?

There's a very low chance that you will run into a piece of debris. If it makes you uncomfortable, however, you can go to the options menu at the main menu, find the "Max Persistent Debris" folder, and move the slider to your preferred number. The default is 250.

Alternately, you can go into the tracking station and select each piece of debris, one by one, and hit the "Terminate" button.

But the bigger risk is just in slowing down your game -- rather than impacts.

16 hours ago, dafidge9898 said:

There's a very low chance that you will run into a piece of debris. If it makes you uncomfortable, however, you can go to the options menu at the main menu, find the "Max Persistent Debris" folder, and move the slider to your preferred number. The default is 250.

^ This.

Just to put things in perspective:  I've been playing KSP for over two years now, have thousands of hours in-game.  I make crowded saves with lots of ships flying around at once, and make not the slightest effort to limit my debris.  So if anyone were going to have debris-collision problems, I'd expect to be near the front of the line.

And I've never had a debris collision.  Not once, ever, in my entire time playing KSP.  I've never even had a near miss.

So... yeah.  It's really not a problem, from a collision standpoint.  At most, it may be a performance issue, as @bewing points out.

20 minutes ago, Snark said:

^ This.

Just to put things in perspective:  I've been playing KSP for over two years now, have thousands of hours in-game.  I make crowded saves with lots of ships flying around at once, and make not the slightest effort to limit my debris.  So if anyone were going to have debris-collision problems, I'd expect to be near the front of the line.

And I've never had a debris collision.  Not once, ever, in my entire time playing KSP.  I've never even had a near miss.

So... yeah.  It's really not a problem, from a collision standpoint.  At most, it may be a performance issue, as @bewing points out.

Same here. I've logged thousands of hours over the last few years and never ran into debris. I had debris come within physics range (2.5km) a few times but those were VERY rare.
Space is big and debris is small. Collisions can only ever happen within you physics bubble, e.g. within 2.5km from your active craft. Chances of running into debris is as close to zero it can be ignored completely.

Same here. During a sandbox game back in .90, the closest I came to debris was when I was flying near the western plains near the KSC and saw a satellite burn up in orbit, but it was 5k away. Wish I had the reflexes to have been able to trigger a screenshot.

I have had one Debris collision in almost a year of playing KSP, and after replicating the circumstances it didn't happen a second time thank to KSP errors. The only real reason to deorbit things is to get the funds back.

Keep the space clean is the requirement of my missions! I only leave those useless rescue-d ship and lander part behind. I really hate those rescue thing. Thinking of launching probes up and take them down once the space program is rich enough

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.