Space Station exploding on load up

So, in my last play in KSP 1.0.5, I docked a new module onto my space station around the Mun. But now, when I launch KSP, load up and then go to my station, it begins to twist and contort all on its own and then explodes.

I relaunched KSP and tried going first to my Mun surface base, and the weird thing was, it thought that my Mun base was in motion, giving me messages like 'can't save while in motion on the surface'.

I feel like the only thing I did in between docking that new station module and all the weirdness was open KSP 1.1.2 once to test the update.

Is it possible that some sort of preference file got changed by 1.1.2, causing all the weirdness in 1.0.5? (…that I might just be able to delete in order to get 1.0.5 working properly again?)

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, iPat said:

So, in my last play in KSP 1.0.5, I docked a new module onto my space station around the Mun. But now, when I launch KSP, load up and then go to my station, it begins to twist and contort all on its own and then explodes.

I relaunched KSP and tried going first to my Mun surface base, and the weird thing was, it thought that my Mun base was in motion, giving me messages like 'can't save while in motion on the surface'.

I feel like the only thing I did in between docking that new station module and all the weirdness was open KSP 1.1.2 once to test the update.

Is it possible that some sort of preference file got changed by 1.1.2, causing all the weirdness in 1.0.5? (…that I might just be able to delete in order to get 1.0.5 working properly again?)

Thoughts?

Hi not exactly from your post what you are doing,  are you trying to run a 1.0.5 save in 1.1.2/1.1.3 ?  or are you trying to run a 1.0.5 game with mods intended for 1.12/1.1.3 ? Either way it's unlikely to work, there have been rather large and comprehensive background changes to the workings of ksp, a lot of parts were changed, every bit of plugin code had to be changed.  And if you are looking for support for 1.0.5 it could be hard to find, almost every mod has now updated to 1.1.3 as it's the sensible thing to do.

I'm sorry if that was not clear.

I meant to state that I had a game in progress in 1.0.5, that was fine one day. The next day, I loaded up the same game in the same 1.0.5 and everything seemed to have gone haywire.

I don't believe that I altered my 1.0.5 installation in any way. The only thing that I believe I did between then and now, was run 1.1.2 once, a separate install, a separate game file.

6 hours ago, iPat said:

I'm sorry if that was not clear.

I meant to state that I had a game in progress in 1.0.5, that was fine one day. The next day, I loaded up the same game in the same 1.0.5 and everything seemed to have gone haywire.

I don't believe that I altered my 1.0.5 installation in any way. The only thing that I believe I did between then and now, was run 1.1.2 once, a separate install, a separate game file.

OK thats better, the answer is no, nothing a separate install of KSP has done is affecting your game. Have you updated any of the mods in that save? if so that's a problem.  AS mods for the current versions are not compatible with 1.0.5.

If it's not that, grab a copy of the log for that 1.0.5 install and zip it up and I'll take a look. Might not be anything that can be fixed, but it may just be something silly, are you 100% sure that you didn't change anything in that install? (i know, I'm going on a bit, but best to be sure :P )

I think I found the problem, if not the cause.

I noticed that the file "ModuleManager.Physics" in the Game Data folder had a modified date of 19 Aug 2016, which was about the time the problem arose.

Deleted that file, and replaced it with an earlier copy from a Backup, and everything works fine.

17 hours ago, iPat said:

I think I found the problem, if not the cause.

I noticed that the file "ModuleManager.Physics" in the Game Data folder had a modified date of 19 Aug 2016, which was about the time the problem arose.

Deleted that file, and replaced it with an earlier copy from a Backup, and everything works fine.

you can just delete that and let MM generate a new one, MM produces them first time it runs,  and you really need to delete those mm cfg's every time you change anything, as they record the crafts modules and parts. It is always best to let MM write it's own than paste in one that may contain incorrect or incomplete info

I remember watching one of Scott Manley's videos where he had a station explode. He analyzed it in slow motion and saw there were actually two identical stations occupying the same space that he could see right before the explosion. I can't remember exactly but I think he went to his save file and noticed there were two instances of that station in the file, he deleted one, and it was fixed. I wonder if that was the problem.

Interesting. Mine was more of a physics problem. The station would start twisting upon loading, increasingly, until it snapped apart and all of the parts then exploded. Deleting the MM cfg files fixed the problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.