Preventing explosion spread (multiple heatshields?)

The idea began with overheating Advanced Nose Cone. The crappy part would overheat in the atmosphere during my gravity turn, and explode, exposing the probe core beneath. Afterwards, the launcher would continue blazing through the stratosphere, probe core serving as its heatshield, reach orbit, and continue on its merry way, completely undeterred by the missing nose cone.

I tried to expand it. Hyperedited an MK3 capsule on an aerocapture trajectory from Eloo, periapsis 20km, with three heatshields beneath, with intention to let them overheat and explode in sequence. Essentially treating heatshields whole as ablator.

This time it didn't work. The first heatshield would reach the critical temperature, explode - and all that would remain was a puff of smoke, all the rest of the craft gone. I tried putting strut segments between the heatshields, same effect.

What makes the nose cone go with a boom letting the part below continue as the head of the stack harmlessly, while the heatshield explodes? How can one stack multiple heatshields? How to prevent the explosion spread? In short, how to perform unassisted/unpowered aerocapture to Kerbin from Eloo in 1.1.3? (reentry speed in excess of 7500m/s, periapsis around 20km (change if you like, but it MUST be captured - if it exits the atmosphere with its trajectory still leading to system escape, it's lost. MK1 capsule, M16 parachute, add anything else you like but try to keep it minimal.)

--------

I'm not asking this on Gameplay Questions, because I seriously doubt anyone has an answer ready to post. I believe this will require research and experimenting and discussion, which is not what happens on Gameplay Questions. Feel free to move AFTER a working solution has been developed :)

Edited by Sharpy

9 hours ago, Sharpy said:

I'm not asking this on Gameplay Questions, because I seriously doubt anyone has an answer ready to post. I believe this will require research and experimenting and discussion, which is not what happens on Gameplay Questions. Feel free to move AFTER a working solution has been developed :)

Sorry to go against your wishes, but Gameplay Questions is the proper place to ask a question about Gameplay. 

If you don't get any answers and would like to encourage some research on the subject, how about making it into a challenge in the Challenges section?

How about an FTL-800 and a Terrier? Roughly 3500m/s at a TWR of 1 (assuming a mk1 pod plus bits and pieces). That might slow you down enough that a heat shield has a chance to work.

As I understand it, too high a velocity at too low an altitude = a different kind of heat modelling, that is much more like running into a brick wall I.e. everything explodes almost instantly due to a catastrophic heat spike.

I just don't see it working at that speed.  Even higher up in the atmosphere, you're going to punch right through it.  You're trying to get the atmosphere to slow you down about 4000 m/s.  Just reclassify that ship as a fire work and enjoy the show.

Maybe try for a double moon assist.  But good luck on the timing.  I'm guessing you don't have much fuel to play with though, so lining it up might not even be possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.