Rocket League Rover

K, I am stuck with this rover I am making. I am new  on the forum but I have played for over 300 hours easy. The one thing I never spent too much time on was rovers and now that I'm trying to build some my rover is stuck.  It moves it can go relatively fast at I clocked it at 20 m/s  but if I'm lucky enough to get anywhere near that speed  it will spin out and flip over.  It likes to pull slightly to the right and as I go faster it turns more more to the right. The wheels are all going in the same direction and turning in the same direction, and as far as I can tell the wheels are aligned. The center of mass is right smack dab in the center.  I can't do snapshots because of circumstances, can anyone help me? 

I forgot to mention that it uses the TR-2L wheels.

If the rover "wants" to drift to one side I can think of 3 things:

1. check if you are controlling it from a port that is paralell to ground, just in case, easy to check, when you look at the navball check if you can see the artificial horizon with blue above and brown below, only blue, only brown or any weird pitch angle (in level flat, level, ground) is wrong.

2. There should be a misalignment of the wheels, remember, wheel alignment has 3 axis, not only one: camber, caster and toe (google it for explanation). It is not usual to misalign in KSP if you work with angle steps in builder, but if you work with free rotate mode it could happen, even a small misalignment would bring this kind of trouble.

3. Check if, by accident, you didn't change the setup of one or more wheels (grip, etc...)

Have you remapped your rover control keys? I remap them to the number pad myself.

Depending on the torque wheels available on the rover, this can make a world of difference. Minor corrections to the steering don't make the rover try to twist around. You can even leave SAS on to keep it level while you drive (though SAS will also try to counteract any steering input, and I've only actually done this on slow and ungainly fuel-shifting rovers).

I can think of two possibilities.

One is that your wheels aren't actually aligned.  I noticed this statement:

On 9/5/2016 at 8:07 AM, JackBeGaming said:

as far as I can tell the wheels are aligned

...the key phrase being "as far as I can tell."  My guess is that your use of the phrase implies you're using your eyeballs to gauge if they're aligned or not.  Unfortunately, that's often not good enough.  Even a microscopic misalignment of the wheels can cause steering drift, and your eyeballs simply can't tell the difference.

What you need is not to have an "as far as I can tell" situation-- you need to be able to know that they're perfectly aligned, which can't be done with the naked eyeball.  The way the game is designed makes it, alas, easy to have this kind of tiny misalignment.  Fortunately, the game does have a way to ensure absolutely-perfect alignment:  absolute angle snap.

When you're in the vehicle editor, put it into rotate mode (the "3" key), press the "F" key and verify that it shows a message saying that alignment is "absolute" and not "local".  Then click on your wheel, rotate it one click out of alignment, and then back again.  This will ensure that it's perfectly aligned.  (The "absolute" mode makes the "snap" angles be in absolute coordinates rather than relative to the local part that you've attached the wheel to, so it's guaranteed to give you the alignment you want).

If you're not already doing that, it would be a good idea to get into the habit of doing that with all wheels and landing gear.  (Would be nice if the game did a better job of making it so that you didn't have to do that, but that's another topic.)  :wink:

The other possibility is what Plusck said:

On 9/11/2016 at 2:18 AM, Plusck said:

Have you remapped your rover control keys? I remap them to the number pad myself.

...by default, the game sets things up so that your reaction-wheel controls for torquing the ship are the same as the rover-wheel controls for driving the ship, i.e. WASD.  This is unfortunate and often leads to confusion, in cases where somebody has a rover that has significant reaction torque.  It means that the W key is doing both "accelerate" and "pitch down".  It means that the "A" key is doing both "turn wheels left" and "yaw torque left".  If you're driving in a high-gravity environment, and/or don't have a lot of reaction torque, it doesn't matter too much.  But if you've got strong reaction wheels and/or are driving somewhere low-gravity, it can lead to some pretty confusing behavior.  It's why I do the same thing that Plusck does-- I map the rover control keys to the number pad, so they're completely separate from torque.

• 3 weeks later...

1.2 seems to fix it! thanks for the help snark! I didn't now about AAS.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:55 PM, Signo said:

If it is meant for atmospheric use you could try with "downforce". 

That would work I think but it sorta needs to fly. If someone will tell me how to take screenshots (I am sorry IDK how) I will show the Finished product.

4 hours ago, JackBeGaming said:

If someone will tell me how to take screenshots (I am sorry IDK how) I will show the Finished product.

It should be just F1 - and the screenshot is sitting in a directory just inside KSP's directory. Then upload to imgur or something, get the actual pic's address (by right-clicking on the image and choosing to "view image"), not the URL that the host site proposes, and paste it to the popup window when you click on "Insert other media" at the bottom right of the post editing window --->v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.