Rover Won't Rove

Got to the Mun, landed in one piece (finally, took a while), but when I launch my spiffy new rover from under my lander to grab rich creamy science, it does nothing. I hit [ to flip through the active vessels, but it shows up as debris after release. Tried selecting "control from here" on the core on top before releasing it and raising antenna on the rover first but no change. It's so confusing, even Jeb is mystified. 

Any suggs? 

Save and Craft files here. It's the Moon or Bust MK II & Rover MK II that's giving me issues. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOS7LT3mpnBWlRZSEx6SFBJRE0/view?usp=sharing

Going out on a limb here without looking and saying:

You clipped the wheels into the body in such a way that they are blocked. Update 1.2 will do away with that issue, but until then, the rule of the thumb is: no clipping wheels into nything, and no clipping anything into wheels.

9 hours ago, shadragon said:

Got to the Mun, landed in one piece (finally, took a while), but when I launch my spiffy new rover from under my lander to grab rich creamy science, it does nothing. I hit [ to flip through the active vessels, but it shows up as debris after release. Tried selecting "control from here" on the core on top before releasing it and raising antenna on the rover first but no change. It's so confusing, even Jeb is mystified. 

Any suggs? 

Save and Craft files here. It's the Moon or Bust MK II & Rover MK II that's giving me issues. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByOS7LT3mpnBWlRZSEx6SFBJRE0/view?usp=sharing

If it has a core it shouldn't be being classed as debris. Is the core still attached after jettison and do you have electric charge in unlocked batteries?

I tried your save - it works fine for me.

There are problems, obviously. I don't know how you got down to the surface because I get zero fuel flow to the Thuds. I tried from the earlier quicksave but there is only just enough fuel in the previous stage to circularise, not a drop more. So that's a mystery. And the landing was heavy and broke all the wheels on the rover*.

However, the Rover core works fine, gets electricity and can manipulate its experiments. With a softer landing it should be fine.

I too sometimes get odd results if I run out of electricity - even the return of electricity doesn't "switch on" the core. Going back to KSC and returning to the craft generally fixes that fine, though.

One final thought - are you sure you weren't trying to fly the stack separator sitting on top of the rover? :P

*edit: on a second attempt, merely staging the fairing base vapourised all the wheels on the rover too with the force of the explosion, so maybe that was what broke them here.

Edited by Plusck

Busted wheels from the decoupler makes sense. I didn't circularize. My initial orbit burn went a few seconds longer than I wanted and I ended up at 4.5 KM up. I decided to go for a landing as it ended up day side regardless. Was a heavy landing, yes.  

I fixed the wheels via editing the save file. Rover worked great after that. Appreciate the feedback. 

Still not enough fuel to get home so rescue rocket time. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.