Mod Community Base for 0.16

Should we allow multiple launches in a single 48-hour turn?  

1. 1. Should we allow multiple launches in a single 48-hour turn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if they're combined into a single lander

So, while my MunHab 1 waits to get to trans-munar injection position, may I send some more crew to the M.O.S.H.?

CHANGE OF PLANS!

I\'ll be making a Minmus probe using the amazing Mechanical Mouse Industries pack!

[/quote

Cool Im thinking of running with mmi

Hey guys, I would like to sign up for a flight reservation, but I have a question in regards to bending one of the rules.

The rules are that you may only add one mod at a time, and that\'s fine and within reason. However, the craft I would like to put up is a large one (a space station) and I use parts from both the Kosmos and Nova Punch pack.

I see in the main post that one of the upcoming flights plans to add the Kosmos pack, but I don\'t see it necessary for me to add the entirety of the NP pack because it is so large. If dogon does add Kosmos, I guess it wouldn\'t really be an issue to just add NP, but it seems like an unnecessarily large download considering most people probably wouldn\'t use the parts (or all of them) anyway.

I don\'t know which parts dogon plans to use, but I could alter the space station to fit which parts he plans to use and possibly combine both of our additions (if I\'m approved)

In the meantime, here are some shots of KLOSS IV (Kerbin Low Orbit Space Station - I could change it to MOSS for Munar or Minmussian orbiting since we seem to have a Kerbin orbiter already), the first vehicle I launched after upgrading to .16 last night.

NY9xP.png

CrXJh.png

P1wyH.png

It easily orbits Kerbin without touching the fuel reserves of the space station, I know for certain it could get to the Mun, and I\'m 90% sure it could get to Minmus, 100% with a bit of tweaking to its first stage. I can toss it wherever, total capacity of 8 currently using the CrewTank. I could toss more ladders on too, if people wanted to taking some screenshots of RP\'ing missions to fix it or something, but I have most of the major points covered along with a non-functional airlock.

But yeah, don\'t mean to sound like I\'m trying to change the rules or anything, just offering up a suggestion to possibly make things easier and the pack downloads smaller in size if possible.

I\'ve been trying to get a 118tonne space station up with stock, mechjeb and various bits and bobs from probo\'s. So far I can get 1/4 round the earth before it\'s time for emergency ejection. ^those would help xD

The most important part to getting a large thing like a space station or single-unit base up into orbit is balance. It used to be damn near impossible with stock parts because of the sheer size of things involved and how comparatively weak stock parts were in terms of their size, but with the new stock boosters and engines you might be able to get something up.

But yeah, the key is balance, and struts, and power... so, everything.

You want the balance so it\'s less likely to tip over. Being within .1 or .2 weight units should allow it to fly straight; ASAS and regular SAS units should be able to handle the difference. Struts to tie it together, set them up so they will disconnect/disappear when you detach the last stage. Tie it down to your first/second stage rockets (not the boosters though, you want the struts to last until at least 50km) so there\'s less wobble. Bring it out to the launchpad without and struts and see where it\'s limp - tie those bits to the center fuselage in a complementary fashion to the rest of the structure.

Power... well, you want to go fast. This .16 iteration of the KLOSS IV was altered a fair bit as I had a 'useless' fuel tank from Kosmos that used LH2 and never got used. I replaced that with the Muon detector, and thus the weight of the entire thing changed and I basically had to rebuild it from scratch and it looks very different from my .15.2 version. I was having trouble with it tipping over around 15km, so I tied it together more, threw a bunch of massive SAS modules on... nothing helped.

I then changed the staging so the center rocket fired along with all the outside ones (it was meant to be it\'s own stage originally), and the additional vertical thrust basically stabilized the whole thing and I didn\'t need the additional SAS units at all. So, yeah, high acceleration can help as long as it\'s balanced because I guess the velocity doesn\'t give the thing the time nor space to wobble and start the tilt.

Hope those tips help a bit.

Cheers :)

The main problem I had was it was three stages, and on the launchpad it weighed just shy of 1200tonnes. Half of that was gone by the time the stage was almost empty. The main trouble I\'m having is even though all the rockets on the first stage are the same, have the same amount of fuel etc, the first stage of rockets finish in 3 different times, with the third time having to ditch 3/4 of tanks of fuel. If I post the .craft file will you be willing to have a look at it and give me some pointers?

I tried the Spacestation Mk II and it flew fine for me, man. I don\'t know if you were using mechjeb and that might\'ve been causing fuel problems, or if you fixed it in the Mk II version, but it worked fine for me without mechjeb and all of the tanks drained simultaneously and equally.

As for it being multi-player, it is in a sense. The community shares a persistence file and whoever is 'in line' to fly/land a craft downloads the community persistence, uses it while they pilot their craft to wherever they\'ve chosen, and then they save the persistence file, upload it with their addition, and then the next person in line continues the trend. It\'s not multi-player in that we\'re all flying rockets at the same time, just that we share a persistence with all of our creations in it so we can build little bases and things like that and take a look at what others have built, along with adding our own piece to the mix.

Gabriel, do I need all of the plugins that go with the Mechanical Mouse parts? Or do I just need the parts?

EDIT: OK so Just in Case anybody after me will need to install all the plugins that go with the Mechanical Mouse parts.

OK! Rikkitiki-1 to Belka is go! (P.S: It isn\'t go, I crashed twice so Third time\'s the charm right? The second one wasn\'t my fault though, game froze after I landed.)

EDIT: WELP... third time is NOT the charm, this time I didn\'t even launch before it froze. >:[

I don\'t think I\'ll fix it before my turn is up, so you guys can go ahead with whoever is next and continue with the list.

Besides, I made a whole lot of debris right close to the base, specifically your lander Candre(Close to it, not that the lander is debris), so I don\'t think my save would be good anyhow.

In my opinion I don\'t really like all this adding of parts packs since most of them are so imbalanced. Like a three man sized pod in the parts pack is the same size as the vanilla mk1 pod which only carries one. The weights, thrust, fuel capacity, size and impulse are all really weird IMO and it\'s just really easy to get a rocket into orbit with most parts packs.

Anyways isn\'t anyone going to be adding ZoxyGene soon? :D

I enjoy the parts packs because they allow me further experimentation with my rockets and making certain builds possible. Kosmos is amazing and I\'ve built multiple space stations and landing habitation modules out of that pack. As far as the rockets are concerned, they\'re beneficial because they allow for much more aesthetically pleasing designs with many less parts. I play on a pretty average laptop and it doesn\'t have fun when I need 5 stock SRBs to accomplish what a single one from a mod can do. They also allow for more unique rocket designs if you use the different couplers, adapters and fairing shrouds found in the packs. The original parts in the game are way too limited for many people\'s creativity.

You don\'t even have to use the parts if you don\'t want to. I just don\'t get why\'d you come in here and say that when there\'s a stock community base, as well.

I enjoy the parts packs because they allow me further experimentation with my rockets and making certain builds possible. Kosmos is amazing and I\'ve built multiple space stations and landing habitation modules out of that pack. As far as the rockets are concerned, they\'re beneficial because they allow for much more aesthetically pleasing designs with many less parts. I play on a pretty average laptop and it doesn\'t have fun when I need 5 stock SRBs to accomplish what a single one from a mod can do. They also allow for more unique rocket designs if you use the different couplers, adapters and fairing shrouds found in the packs. The original parts in the game are way too limited for many people\'s creativity.

You don\'t even have to use the parts if you don\'t want to. I just don\'t get why\'d you come in here and say that when there\'s a stock community base, as well.

I was just sharing my opinion and while I agree with most of what you say it\'s just the imbalance that bugs me. I guess I forgot to mention if anyone else feels the same about the parts needing balancing.

No worries zekes, part of why I stopped making people say ahead of time was to prevent having to keep track of this stuff when people change their minds. ;)

Olsson - I\'d already said that packs with 'crew parts' should be held off on until they\'re updated to 0.16 if possible, which usually will include rescaling crewed parts and adding airlocks. So far very few have been updated to include that because it\'s pretty hard to do without the proper tools (devs are supposed to release the tools to make custom 0.16 crewable parts 'soon.') When people do include pre-0.16 crew part mods, they can expect any ships they use those crew parts in to explode later on when the parts are updated.

Besides, you can\'t EVA from them, so where\'s the fun?

Regardless, this is the community base, which means people can add whatever they like as long as it doesn\'t break other people\'s ships - there\'s no obligation to actually use those parts in things that you make later, just to include to mod itself in your folder to keep from deleting other people\'s ships. And if that mod happened to get updated in between them launching and your turn, well, you\'re not responsible for the explosion of the outdated part/deletion of that ship.

However, that obligation to not break other people\'s ships makes Zoxygene one of the few plugins that isn\'t a good candidate. Unlike every other plugin I know of, that one makes an zoxygene part mandatory and would kill the crews of all launches from before you added it. If there\'s some loophole where the zoxygene rules don\'t apply to ships without the Zo2 parts, then I\'m wrong and you could add it freely.

If there\'s some loophole where the zoxygene rules don\'t apply to ships without the Zo2 parts, then I\'m wrong and you could add it freely.

I don\'t know if Zox has updated to .16, but I know that in .15, Zoxygene only affected those ships that had the Zoxygen Main system Part attached to it. Any ship that doesnt include the main system is treated like a normal ship.

Dogon11, due to the forum issues I've extended your time remaining to 24 hours as of now. Hopefully you had your flight done and just need to upload the results!

I've always avoided trying Zoxygene because I didn't want the hassle of doing it on every ship if it was installed, but I'm trying it now finally to confirm that it doesn't affect the other ships. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding on it.

----

Works like a charm, so whatever ignorant things I said earlier about it should be ignored =)

Edited by khyron42

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.