IAC Today!

I hate being on the skeptic side of things, but after calming down from the initial awe I'm a little less impressed. It's almost like someone recorded a KSP flight and posted it here. So much of this is experimental, I anticipate we won't see anything launch until 2050. If anyone but Elon was saying it, I would throw it out as a possibility, but I suppose he's done enough homework to say it's plausible. 

Just now, todofwar said:

I hate being on the skeptic side of things, but after calming down from the initial awe I'm a little less impressed. It's almost like someone recorded a KSP flight and posted it here. So much of this is experimental, I anticipate we won't see anything launch until 2050. If anyone but Elon was saying it, I would throw it out as a possibility, but I suppose he's done enough homework to say it's plausible. 

While I agree on your premise, I think 2050 is a little pessimistic. If they're actively developing components now there no reason (unless the design is completely infeasible) why there can't be an expendable prototype launch vehicle in the next 10 years

It all burns down to money. I think what he has going for him (if he can tackle the obvious technical challenges), is that it's a private corporation, not a government agency. So will it be something where you can make money? If yes, it'll happen. If no, well... then it'll be a pipe dream!

Just now, StarStreak2109 said:

It all burns down to money. I think what he has going for him (if he can tackle the obvious technical challenges), is that it's a private corporation, not a government agency. So will it be something where you can make money? If yes, it'll happen. If no, well... then it'll be a pipe dream!

This. Not only the money, but there's no way a government in the 21st century is going to send 100 people on a mission, where "the first journeys will be very dangerous, the risk of fatalities will be high. Likely no children - must be prepared to die".

6 minutes ago, Steel said:

While I agree on your premise, I think 2050 is a little pessimistic. If they're actively developing components now there no reason (unless the design is completely infeasible) why there can't be an expendable prototype launch vehicle in the next 10 years

An experimental prototype, maybe. The actual Mars mission? That's something else. I'd love to be proven wrong, though

Edited by todofwar

1 minute ago, monstah said:

This. Not only the money, but there's no way a government in the 21st century is going to send 100 people on a mission, where "the first journeys will be very dangerous, the risk of fatalities will be high. Likely no children - must be prepared to die".

Insofar the Christopher Columbus parabel works pretty well. Risk of dying travelling to the new world then was probably as deadly as travelling to Mars today.

Just now, StarStreak2109 said:

Insofar the Christopher Columbus parabel works pretty well. Risk of dying travelling to the new world then was probably as deadly as travelling to Mars today.

You missed "government in the 21st century". Things are different politically and socially, now.

I agree with you, tho. Risks are needed, and this is a pretty large step.

6 minutes ago, monstah said:

I thought that they were suggesting that early flights would be a more normal size crew (like 6), and that they might even send one empty to land and stay as a test (to be used as a hab, etc).

Edited by tater

1 minute ago, monstah said:

You missed "government in the 21st century". Things are different politically and socially, now.

I agree with you, tho. Risks are needed, and this is a pretty large step.

What I *only* meant was that people have to be prepared to take (significant) risks to go to new frontiers.

Regarding the political and social issues, surely this has to be considered. But if SpaceX put together an expedition of volunteers, so what? It'll be just like the expedition which for instance founded Jamestown... :wink:

3 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

I think in terms of mortality rate the age of discovery was much more dangerous

I couldn't see the first part of the emission and I can't see the end (bad hour in spain).

One of the biggest question is about life support system (to me fairly the most difficult part of a interplanetary voyage). Did he say anything?

SpaceX never said anything about life support systems (at least as far I know) and the all times I looked they wasn't hiring for any worker in that field :huh:

2 minutes ago, RedKraken said:

Internationals want to work for spacex. But cant.

Could russia/china/india/europe pool resources to set up a competing mars transport system?

Far more likely that China does it by themselves.  China is not a small country unlike the European countries, Russia and US 

1 minute ago, Frozen_Heart said:

These Q and A questions are making me lose the will to live.

reddit just gives me the eventual "These are very weird questions", but doesn't go into detail. Well, except for Michael Cera :confused:

I hope it's being recorded so I can watch later at home, anyway

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.