Character animation and movement on EVA is spectacular!

DrLucky

I just wanted to say that I think the way the kerbals handle on EVA is jaw-droppingly good.

Yeah, I\'m sure there are rough edges to polish (please grab the ladder when exiting, Jeb?), but I\'ve played any number of mainstream games where navigating a level in third person feels clunky and awkward in the release version, and you really nailed it first go.

The things that impress me most are:

* you can find and navigate ladders on physical objects that are dynamically moving around a scene. I\'ve played games where I can\'t get on a ladder that\'s designed into a fixed level, for heaven\'s sakes. I actually chased a rolling plane down the runway and got back in.

* you can transition from climbing to jumping to RCS to flopping to walking seamlessly

* the low-G gait on minmus just slew me. That he waits for his foot to hit the ground before he jumps. Can\'t wait to see what high-G looks like.

The devil is in the details, and well done getting so many of the details right.

DrLucky

I\'d also like to congratulate Squad on the revised explosion dynamics, they are far more satisfying than before, whilst looking slightly less \'meaty\', which I\'m sure can be fixed at a later date.

in 0.15, if any component on my rocket exploded, the whole thing would instantly explode, however now I get a nice \'disintegration\' with loads of parts remaining intact and raining down in the surrounding countryside.

If there was one thing to improve, it would have to be giving debris that\'s been near an explosion a smoke trail, this would create an awesome \'spidery\' effect for the explosions.

But back to the EVAs - Seamless ladder transitions, and lovely ragdolling effects, especially in low gravity. Wonderful how the game detects my crazy ladder placement and uses it exactly as I expect. Especially, as DrLucky said, on dynamic objects.

I chased a runaway rover on the mun at 10m/s, and caught up with it with the EVApak, and managed to grab on while it was still moving. Stellar job on the transitions.

The positives on this by far outweigh the negatives, but if I were to make any negative comments, I\'d say that the jumping height in general, to me, seems a little too high, and the mun walk cycle still seems a little fast for low gravity. As well as this, the EVA rotation control is a bit annoying, it would have made more sense to just have an auto-orienting direction, instead of orientation, and bound rotation to Q and E. but apart from those few things, and the fact that there\'s no passenger module yet, the EVAs are possibly the best thing, in my opinion, to happen to KSP for a long time. The new dimension and replay-incentive of crew rescuing is a great thing. That, and the launch clamps. I love them, they make all my crazy rockets come true.

So, again, Well done Squad on another tremendous update! Keep it up!

Overall, the EVAs are spectacular. I also love how big the rockets are now. They finally look like the monsters that they are

However, I must complain that there is no ladder that can get Kerbals on top of things like fuel tanks. You need to use a ladder at a weird angle that looks very wrong.

Also, Kerbals can\'t be controlled when upside-down relative to the camera. They automatically flip over. Not a real big issue, but i feel like Q and E should control this.

I\'m absolutely in agreement with this.

.16 was buggy (what else is to be expected with a Beta game?), but the animations were flat out incredible.

Yes here and there needed a bit of polishing, but nothing I could really yell about.

I was very, very impressed

I don\'t know whether it\'s a problem with my graphics card (woefully out of date) but the only problem I have with EVA is that they walk like me after 8 or 9 pints, difficult to make them walk in a straight line.

Other than that little niggle, they\'re fantastic!

Despite having considerable trouble downloading the update , I have to say EVA makes up for a lot of it. The extra dimensions(s) added offer incredible opertunitites , and EVA is insanely fun! I got to say that it was a supurb idea to intergrate it as a whole package (including swimming , jumping , ladders , Etc) rather than doing it piecemeal. Good work guys!

Sure, they wiggle about like cockroaches, the controls are a bit headwonky, and I have to twiddle my thumbs while Jeb ragdolls at the base of his command pod after a landing, but seeing Bill\'s poker face on the Mun makes it all worth it. If I could find a way to make them do badass poses at the press of a key, I would throw all of my money at the screen. :D

And like others have said before me, ladders. My goodness, these ladders are the best-handled I\'ve ever seen in a game ever. I love doing a flying leap on the Mun to the too-short ladder on my lander, then grabbing hold and clambering up like a champ.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.