[Video] I'm Scott Manley and These Are My Kerbal Space Program Videos

illectro

with a perfectly aligned rocket motor there is no torque
Oh. No matter what the vehicle as a whole is doing, the force from the engine is symmetrical along the axis, so the only accelerations it can impart are linear along that axis? Interesting.

Wow! I don\'t get it, you just took what I explained in my video, re-explained it and then said I\'m wrong, yes my whole point was that the perceived action of gravity is completely irrelevant. Indeed, it\'s also irrelevant in the case of the extra fuel tank on the front of my my spin stabilized rockets that you mention, please did you actually watch the video in question. (I think you must\'ve missed your first few classes on English! :)

Oh, yes, I watched it again and I missed a couple of lines of what you said. When watching it the first time I just mostly skimmed through it, and missed the sentence where you explained it being due to the thrust being along the same vector - sorry! ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Hullo again: finally got my account sorted out, and I've been on holiday for the last week or so, but here are the videos I'd queued up for release while away:

Budget Cuts: the KSP administrators demand cost savings, so we start flying Apollo style missions with the return vehicle remaining in Mun orbit, unfortunately the cost savings extend to the capsules.....

This is using the crewable empty capsule mod

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15016-0-16-Crew-able-empty-pods-0-3?highlight=crew-able+empty+pods

And the mechjeb mod

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/12384-PLUGIN-PART-0-16-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v1-9?highlight=mechjeb

Glad to be back on the forums

Hmm I can't remember what the exact mass difference is, but the main operational difference is that we went from wrapping the Core rocket in 8 sets of tanks and aerospikes to wrapping it in 8 large SRBs, so this rocket has fewer of those expensive liquid fueled engines, replaced with cheap ass solid motors

Anyway, here's the next part:

I first discovered your videos only about a month ago; about the same time I bought KSP to be exact, and ever since I began watching them, I was hooked. You actually know what you're talking about, and I use your videos as an inspiration/guide to my own space explorations! Thanks for the awesomely entertaining videos.

Well, just to sign in ...

Been seeing your videos ( and commenting on them ) since your stock Mun lander with winglets as landing legs mock ups ... somewhere 70 videos ago :D .You can really learn a lot of tidbits about good orbital practices in there ( well, atleast until the budget cuts arc ;) ).

Now just a question/comment ... I've been reviewing your post .16 videos today and I do feel that your first Mun rocket for the 3-person capsule seems ... excessive, with all those solid boosters ( I know, they are better now, but I'm still not convinced of their usability ) and the 8 side engines :P Given that your capsules orbiting Mun in the later videos seem to be far more spent in terms of fuel, I assume you are using a more streamlined version for your budget cuts videos ( it would only fit, right ? ). Could you share it with us in a later video , if you are really using a different version ?

The SRB's are very useful now in front of the 1m liquid engines, they have a bit more thrust and they're not affected by efficiency reductions deep inside the atmosphere, which, as it happens is where you start when launching.

If you watch the 4 part development series you'll see that I really wanted aerospikes for those liquid engines, but I had issues with fitting, and of course, some people explained just how to do it to get around the collision mesh issues. If you fit that final mun lander model with aerospikes then you probably can forget the SRB's.

The version in the budget cuts video gets rid of all those extra liquid fuel engines and replaces them with a rack of 8 SRB's, the fuel tank on the upper stage is extended to a large tank and since we have the small 3m rocket we need a very steep ascent trajectory to make it into space (the gravity turn starts at about 19km from an 80 degree ascent).

Anyway - I managed to save a bit more mass on the lander stage by dropping the capsule, since it didn't really do anything useful except give the pilot a place to refuel his EVA.

So, here's the last video I made showing a return and rendezvous of my capsuleless crew lander from the munar surface, I'm posting this here a few hours before public release in part to try and convince all the disbelievers as to my identity.

I'll be back from vacation in a few days and will hopefully find time to make some new material

May I call you a moron ? :D Since you actually called me ( and yourself ;) ) one in this video ;) Sometimes in EVA we can forget that we can't throttle up ...

Anyway, and back to seriousness, waiting to see your Mars ( or Murs ? ) related creations. Fly safe :D

I usually watch Scott's videos at work and I'm glad there was no one around to hear me laughing out loud when his Kerbal smacked into the ship, not minutes after saying someone would have to be a moron to do exactly what he did.

And thanks for the tip on the steep ascent trajectory on your big SRB design. I made one similar to it and using Mechjeb's standard trajectory, it just didn't work.

Do love your Videos just watched the new one about your new comp Nice build shame about the case.

Lot better one IMO and lot more bang for your pounds. and it looks nice super quite and is Sekz.

Just curious you said the old one is 7 years old what is it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.