116m long rocket

Hello!

Much like the title states, I have made the biggest KSP rocket ever known to Kerbals. I am almost certain some of you may have done something bigger or more spectacular but I is my biggest creation so Ill just go ahead and talk abut it a little.

The Speed Breaker V1:

Pictures in here (1920x1080 res)

speedbreaker2.jpg

speedbreaker1.jpg

speedbreaker.jpg

It boasts over 100 FL16/32 fuel tanks, over 500 struts to keep it somewhat rigid, 60 launch stabilisers and 18 LV-T30 high Thrust engines.

Total thrust produced is 21.600. It was made for the purpose of getting close to the light speed barrier based purely on the theory of \'\'add more\'\'.

The rocket itself reduces my quad core to primary components, averaging a measly 0.5 fps. It is larger than the VAB space allocated to make a rocket and its just about within the diameter for a safe launch without colliding with the launch tower.

It is so high that I was able to place 6 LV-T30 engines on the top-most section directly above another set of 6 LV-T30 engines on the bottom of the craft without having to worry about fire damage.

That would be enough bragging, Im sure many of you have more impressive rockets but I didn\'t just come here to boast.

I cam here to ask for help:

My computer is not NASA spec and therefore when it comes to launch, even though I am able to actually launch the craft and fly up to an altitude of around 2-3k (impossible to determine actual altitude due to lag - meter is going mad), around that height my craft disintegrates from the bottom up. I have cross-strengthened the fuel tanks and added lots of lateral supports, then double-crossed them, added many many many more struts - engines are so rigid even crashing into a moon should not move them. Yet it still ends up disintegrating after a while.

I wonder if there is anyone out there willing to take this mad contraption on and attempt a launch.

Anyone is welcome to take this rocket and do with it what they want.

My first-glance guess is that the thrust is causing it to collapse into itself.

Yep more struts or edit the cfg of existing struts making them stronger. I have had similiar issues with rockets less then half that size. the new fuel tanks are really kinda weak compared to the thrust the new engines put out.

Well for starters, i must say it: That rocket is a BEAST.

Having an i5 2500k and a 6950, i thought i might get something out of this. I was wrong.

On my usual settings, a 1080p res, 8x AA and everything else on or on highest settings, i wasn\'t able to get anything more than you. The launch was successfull, though I didn\'t want to sit through the 1fps waiting for orbiting, so I decided I\'d try on lower settings. Note: before ending the flight, i noticed that the rocket steers to the side almost horizontally, and I didn\'t have any problems of disintegrating as you.

I lowered the res to 720p, and turned off all anti-aliasing. No luck. I didn\'t even get a mere 1 frame boost, though fps measuring was only done by fraps, which is not known for complete accuracy.

On the lowest settings possible, 800x600, lowest terrain, no terrain scatters, no vsync, etc., I was able to get 10~15fps for a moment at the launch pad, but after moving the camera, the fps dropped to 1fps again. After launch, which i hoped would provide an fps boost once the camera was panned up from the planet, i was dissapointed.

And thus I have to admit, I failed.. :(

Good luck for anyone on this beastly challenge, over & out.

Few images: (note the meter refusing to show the last three or four digits)

JGGox.jpg

EsQMA.png

eGRNr.png

I have rockets with \'only\' 3 of those large engines, pushing a 2nd stage with a single stack of tanks, do the same.

Imo the parts are weak in this release.

So do I. And they use four struts per stack decoupler yet they don\'t break. Lower your throttle position.

Anyway, I noticed that at 30% throttle the craft takes a hit of ten g\'s, which in most of my experiences with large craft it usually always results in the craft tearing itself apart, as I assumed it does earlier.

If I\'m going to try getting this off the ground (Which is pretty taxing for the game), I\'ll have to try even lower throttle settings. Though I\'m thinking any lower will lead to it not lifting off.

Stogas, its okay, at least you have tried your best and got further off the ground. Im impressed by your efforts though, seems that the Challenge is well and truly underway :D

Since I was unable to run Mechjeb because of the 0.16 update, could anyone tell me how much does it even weigh? That will give me an insight into the \'\'gravity\'\' of the gauntlet I have inadvertently thrown down.

Its back to the drawing board with struts, suppose another 200 would make it \'\'behave\'\'.

Just to point out, it DOES take off out-of-the-box but what it will do after is anyone\' guess.

I will try and maybe alter slightly the position of top-most engines and reinforce the structure a bit inside and out.

Well, Im not a rocket scientist but the general idea was to have as much fuel on board as possible. Size limits the use of boosters since they just wouldn\'t fit on the platform.

Criticism is welcome, I didn\'t know what I was going into head-first but at the same time I always find myself out of fuel with lighter rockets. I wanted it to have as much fuel as possible to go as fast as possible once aerodynamics and high level of gravity aren\'t an issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.