My first 10-ish hours with Kerbal Space Program

Dr Turtlestein

15 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

@Dr Turtlestein Hello. I noticed you have build basic plane in your gallery "Bonus picture: First airplane design" built with YT-01 Fixed Landing Gear.

Have you managed landing your airplane anywhere, except runway, without these wheels blowing off? I mean this seriously. Thank you!

Not to hijack the thread but they work, I can grassland land with them.  I have to up the springiness though to ~1.25-1.35 to keep them from detonating on impact/spawn.  Makes it bouncy to land, but they don't kaboom.

@OP: Congratulations!  Welcome to our humble insanity.  Stay for the cake.  Jeb made it.  On Moho, so it's a bit flat, but he made it!

Edited by WanderingKid

On 18-10-2016 at 7:48 PM, Sharpy said:

Congrats on getting the addiction.

Get Jeb off the Mun, then make Minmus your b*tch.

Mun is ungrateful and hard. Minmus... Minmus is a joy ride.

Haha yess indeed, I like the way how you could get to minmus, deploy a rover and get to almost orbital speed with your roven, just a few rocket bursts and you where in orbit.

10 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

Not to hijack the thread but they work, I can grassland land with them.  I have to up the springiness though to ~1.25-1.35 to keep them from detonating on impact/spawn.  Makes it bouncy to land, but they don't kaboom.

Can you please provide your design? "Springiness" is unrelated to bounciness.

23 minutes ago, Kerbal101 said:

Can you please provide your design? "Springiness" is unrelated to bounciness.

Not in my experience, I've taken my designs on a few longer range trips for some observations.  As I mentioned, I don't intend to hijack the thread, so I'm going to move this conversation, and the associated craft, over to the Spacecraft Exchange forum.  You'll find it here:

11 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Not in my experience, I've taken my designs on a few longer range trips for some observations.  As I mentioned, I don't intend to hijack the thread, so I'm going to move this conversation, and the associated craft, over to the Spacecraft Exchange forum.  You'll find it here:

Actually, I will gladly hijack this thread, because OP does not respond to my question regarding part of his mission.

Thanks for providing the craft, I have just tested it in 1.2 (unmodded) and wheels reliably blow up, like they should. This is also reason why I contacted OP.
The maximum weight per wheel of LY-01 is 3 tonne, means 6 tonne max total landing weight when two such wheels touch the ground at same time (4 t being optimum).
My initial aircraft was somewhat similar to yours, with 8 t weight and predictably blew the rear wheels off (even two pairs of them). Your craft weights whooping 13t loaded and 6.3t fully empty.

Consider upgrading to next-size landing wheel, which has double impact and stress tolerances of LY-01 ($KSP/GameData/Squad/Parts/Wheel/LandingGear/GearSmall.cfg).

On 10/18/2016 at 7:28 PM, Dr Turtlestein said:

Pictures of Jeb on the Mun -> http://imgur.com/a/xKRRF

And I already have ideas on what to do next (set up a satellite network on the moon so Jeb can talk to his wife, get a rover somehow on the Mun and if there's time, get him home).

Wait a moment, Jeb has a wife and he actually calls her?? Are we talking about the same Jeb?

This is literally the first time ever, I read such stuff on this forum. This gives his entire character a totally new twist...

-Hey honey, were how are you?

-Oh really fine! I just blew up two rovers. Explosions on Duna are really fun. Did you purchase this red dress you were talking about yesterday?

My first ten hours were a little less eventfull. Considering I played the 1.0 demo at that time, I probably used the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation in order to determine how many FL-T200 tanks I needed for my Mun rocket, since those are the "biggest" tanks there...

On 10/26/2016 at 11:05 PM, something said:

Wait a moment, Jeb has a wife and he actually calls her?? Are we talking about the same Jeb?

This is literally the first time ever, I read such stuff on this forum. This gives his entire character a totally new twist...

-Hey honey, were how are you?

-Oh really fine! I just blew up two rovers. Explosions on Duna are really fun. Did you purchase this red dress you were talking about yesterday?

My first ten hours were a little less eventfull. Considering I played the 1.0 demo at that time, I probably used the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation in order to determine how many FL-T200 tanks I needed for my Mun rocket, since those are the "biggest" tanks there...

I don't actually know if he has a wife or not, I just like to imagine he has a family at home and they're worried sick about him.

Also I got 2 satellites into Munar orbit, then I realized that I forgot to put an antenna on Jebs rocket so he still can't phone home. Until I manage to figure out a design to land on the Mun safely.

On 10/26/2016 at 10:32 PM, Kerbal101 said:

Actually, I will gladly hijack this thread, because OP does not respond to my question regarding part of his mission.

Thanks for providing the craft, I have just tested it in 1.2 (unmodded) and wheels reliably blow up, like they should. This is also reason why I contacted OP.
The maximum weight per wheel of LY-01 is 3 tonne, means 6 tonne max total landing weight when two such wheels touch the ground at same time (4 t being optimum).
My initial aircraft was somewhat similar to yours, with 8 t weight and predictably blew the rear wheels off (even two pairs of them). Your craft weights whooping 13t loaded and 6.3t fully empty.

Consider upgrading to next-size landing wheel, which has double impact and stress tolerances of LY-01 ($KSP/GameData/Squad/Parts/Wheel/LandingGear/GearSmall.cfg).

Hey, real sorry about not answering, just had a lot going on IRL. I haven't managed a "typical" aircraft landing on my bonus pic design because the tail is way too long and explodes on touchdown.

But I did put a few parachutes above the central mass so when I found out the tail exploded I could just max the throttle, wait until I got a bit of air and then cut power and deploy the parachutes, that allowed me to land on my wheels nice and gently. But again that wasn't a "typical" airplane landing.

1 hour ago, Dr Turtlestein said:

But I did put a few parachutes above the central mass so when I found out the tail exploded I could just max the throttle, wait until I got a bit of air and then cut power and deploy the parachutes, that allowed me to land on my wheels nice and gently. But again that wasn't a "typical" airplane landing.

That's an actually interesting idea, since one can re-pack the parachutes and they are available earlier than more advanced gears!

For at least the first 10 game hours, probably more like 30, I didn't realize there was a save function. Hey, I figure things out as I go along. I tell you, landing a probe on one of Jool's moons with absolutely no saves is nerve-wracking, but very fun. :)

(There's a save function, btw. :) )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.