Appendicitis sucks...

MaverickSawyer

Well, this a new one for me... Writing this from my bed in the hospital following an emergency appendectomy yesterday.

For those of you who don't know what that means, my appendix got infected. Badly. It was extremely painful yesterday morning by about 0400 local time, which was my clue that this wasn't the stomach bug I thought it was. Finally broke down and went to the emergency room, where they promptly determined that I was suffering from acute appendicitis. Quickly transferred me to a nearby hospital to perform the surgery, which went pretty smoothly.

Currently in my first full day of recover, but I'm going to be off kilter for a few weeks.

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Oh, yeah. I remember the joy of appendicitis. Hope you recover quickly. Did you get the laparoscopic procedure or the classic "gut me like a trout" incision?

Laparoscope, but it still has left my abs about as useful as a gutted trout. :wink:

I had the laparoscopic procedure as well, it was cutting edge back in 1994 when I had it. Can't even see the little scars anymore. 

Funny story: The hospital I had mine done in put me in a private room afterwards. I'm just waking up, still feeling sore and groggy. The door is half open, so I can kinda hear the noises from outside, but it's still really quiet in the room. I start to shift around a bit, trying to get comfortable, when out of nowhere I hear, "Mark!?" I just about jumped out of my skin! My pastor was sitting in a chair just out of my range of vision. He'd come in to pay a visit. I was still asleep but they told him I would wake up any minute so he decided to stick around and wait. Dude! Startling people who have just had abdominal surgery is not cool! LOL

Welp, safely at home now, continuing recovery. The hardest part isn't the pain, which is actually quite manageable... it's the fact that, between the infection/appendicitis, surgery, and the painkillers used the first few days, my gut essentially shut down. So now I have to coax it back to working. And that purely sucks.

Welp, ten days after surgery and I'm back to (limited) work. Doesn't hurt anymore, just some odd stiff points on occasion and a twinge when I try to do too much. Modern medicine is amazing. :)

(Still waiting on the scariest part of this whole ordeal, though... the bill.)

Edited by MaverickSawyer

• 3 weeks later...

I hope doc must have given you medications for your pain such as morphine, oxycodone or hydromorphone. Please ensure that you do nnot lift heavy obects or do anything strenuous . I woould suggest you to support your abdomen with a pillow or soft object when you cough, sneeze, or any abdominal movements. Give your body enough rest and sleep at will. wash your hands averytime you touch the incision(before and after). Skip bathing for few days till the stitches are removed. Listen to your favorite songs which would help you temporary relief from pain by distracting. Check this article on speedy recovery after surgery http://www.c-care.ca/blog/post-surgery/tips-speed-post-surgery-recovery/. Post surgery recovery nurse suggests consulting your doc before returning to work. Hope you will recover soon and get back to normal life soon. Keep us updated. 

On 10/27/2016 at 9:11 PM, MaverickSawyer said:

Welp, ten days after surgery and I'm back to (limited) work. Doesn't hurt anymore, just some odd stiff points on occasion and a twinge when I try to do too much. Modern medicine is amazing. :)

(Still waiting on the scariest part of this whole ordeal, though... the bill.)

Glad to hear you are doing well. I guess they have longer recovery times now, back in 1994 I had my surgery on Friday (day after Thanksgiving) and was back at work on Monday.

The bill is always the worst. After I had my open-heart surgery in 2014 I was very happy to have had good insurance. Especially after I saw the EOB come through where the insurance company cut the hospital a check for over $104,000. 8-o

10 hours ago, Will Donati said:

I hope doc must have given you medications for your pain such as morphine, oxycodone or hydromorphone. 

Dude, LOL, wut? After my sternotomy, when they cut a 10-inch hole in the center of my chest, they gave me codeine. And I weaned myself off of that about five days after I got home, because it's nasty stuff. I was on ibuprofen and acetaminophen after that.

18 hours ago, Will Donati said:

I hope doc must have given you medications for your pain such as morphine, oxycodone or hydromorphone. Please ensure that you do nnot lift heavy obects or do anything strenuous . I woould suggest you to support your abdomen with a pillow or soft object when you cough, sneeze, or any abdominal movements. Give your body enough rest and sleep at will. wash your hands averytime you touch the incision(before and after). Skip bathing for few days till the stitches are removed. Listen to your favorite songs which would help you temporary relief from pain by distracting. Check this article on speedy recovery after surgery http://www.c-care.ca/blog/post-surgery/tips-speed-post-surgery-recovery/. Post surgery recovery nurse suggests consulting your doc before returning to work. Hope you will recover soon and get back to normal life soon. Keep us updated. 

I appreciate the information but most of it is no longer needed. Incisions haven't hurt in weeks, and haven't had any issues. Besides, was off the pain meds two days after getting home, and that includes Advil and Tylenol. Hooray for a young body and a strong healing factor. :D

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Glad to hear you are doing well. I guess they have longer recovery times now, back in 1994 I had my surgery on Friday (day after Thanksgiving) and was back at work on Monday.

The bill is always the worst. After I had my open-heart surgery in 2014 I was very happy to have had good insurance. Especially after I saw the EOB come through where the insurance company cut the hospital a check for over $104,000. 8-o

Dude, LOL, wut? After my sternotomy, when they cut a 10-inch hole in the center of my chest, they gave me codeine. And I weaned myself off of that about five days after I got home, because it's nasty stuff. I was on ibuprofen and acetaminophen after that.

As for recovery times, my job is a physically demanding one that requires a lot of lifting, usually upwards of 60 pounds at a time and occasionally up to twice that. The surgeon kinda freaked out at that point and gave me a month and a half of light duty to make sure it's all knitted together.

As for the bill, I can thank the State of Washington and anyone who makes a sales tax-applicable purchase there for picking up the bill. Sorely going to miss the Affordable Care Act when the Republicans repeal it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.