City's in KSP

NSEP

Hello peeps! I was just thinking, is it possible to build a city in KSP? Out of spacecraft parts? And no, not bases, bases are more like villages.

Hey! I could make this a fun "little" challenge! (With "little" i mean no scoreboard, winners or anything, just something you could do for fun)

Here are some rules you could follow but dont have to, if you already made a city. Just to make it more challenge-ey

-Your city must hold at least 64 kerbals

-It must have at least 3 rovers with different functions.

-It must have a storage tank for every stock resource avaible! (Expect for IntakeAir)

-It also needs to produce all of those resources without ressuply missions. (Expect for Xenon)

-It does not matter where your base is, even on Kerbin it is legit.

-If you are in career mode, you could find out a way of selling some of those resources 4 money!

Enjoy!

Edited by NSEP

4 hours ago, NSEP said:

Hello peeps! I was just thinking, is it possible to build a city in KSP? Out of spacecraft parts? And no, not bases, bases are more like villages.

Hey! I could make this a fun "little" challenge! (With "little" i mean no scoreboard, winners or anything, just something you could do for fun)

Here are some rules you could follow but dont have to, if you already made a city. Just to make it more challenge-ey

-Your city must hold at least 64 kerbals

-It must have at least 3 rovers with different functions.

-It must have a storage tank for every stock resource avaible! (Expect for IntakeAir)

-It also needs to produce all of those resources without ressuply missions.

-It does not matter where your base is, even on Kerbin it is legit.

-If you are in career mode, you could find out a way of selling some of those resources 4 money!

Enjoy!

Have you done it yourself yet and are you sure it's possible?? Also any mods?? Please have a look at the challenge submission guidelines first

Just now, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

Have you done it yourself yet and are you sure it's possible?? Also any mods?? Please have a look at the challenge submission guidelines first

I havent really tried it yet to make sure it is possible, but im 100% sure it is possible, and mods are absolutely no problem too. It is not really a challenge though just a mission idea!

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I havent really tried it yet to make sure it is possible, but im 100% sure it is possible, and mods are absolutely no problem too. It is not really a challenge though just a mission idea!

Well this might just be some fun right??( sorry, i sometimes take these challenges too seriously)

Well this might just be some fun right??( sorry, i sometimes take these challenges too seriously)

Yes it could be pretty fun! I think i should give it a try in stock!

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Yes it could be pretty fun! I think i should give it a try in stock!

I tried it before and it crashed my computer coz the file was so large. After that, I've never done it again because I'm way to lazy to build buildings. Lol . Btw ksp is a space program not a construction company:D

I tried it before and it crashed my computer coz the file was so large. After that, I've never done it again because I'm way to lazy to build buildings. Lol . Btw ksp is a space program not a construction company:D

Was it before 1.1? Before 1.1, preformance was alot worse. You could do better in 1.1

KSP is a space program, but some people play KSP as a plane program! lol.

First house made and delivered. It's got a big dish for receiving the sports channel, a BBQ, a chimney, drill & ISRU, carport and a RCS port for blowing away those pesky Kerbin mosquitos.

Unloading the house using the Panther jet engine (while firing up the BBQ)

huEbCOs.png

Flat enough ... I'm never really able to find a flat spot beyond KSC.

BgvDR7p.png

Y5xiFMj.png

1xXVoFx.png

The house is 16 ton and 62 parts. Call it a bit luxurious. The next one will be cheap and have a lower part count.

7 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

can I hyper edit to victory?

Nobody said no!

55 minutes ago, Azimech said:

First house made and delivered. It's got a big dish for receiving the sports channel, a BBQ, a chimney, drill & ISRU, carport and a RCS port for blowing away those pesky Kerbin mosquitos.

Unloading the house using the Panther jet engine (while firing up the BBQ)

huEbCOs.png

Flat enough ... I'm never really able to find a flat spot beyond KSC.

BgvDR7p.png

Y5xiFMj.png

1xXVoFx.png

The house is 16 ton and 62 parts. Call it a bit luxurious. The next one will be cheap and have a lower part count.

Looks really cool!

You know what, i might do this aswell

4 hours ago, lococarl said:

Ooo, goody! I've thought about this before, but I lacked the experience to actually pull it off. I think this will be a great little challenge! Also, KSOS might be a little unfair but it'll still be fun.

KSOS is not cheating! I might add that mod in aswell.

You didn't specify how many buildings/crafts I'd have to build, nor did it have to be pretty;

Meet the ugly leaning tower of everything!!

1fHszDn.jpg

As can be seen in the upper right, it has all stock resources apart from IntakeAir.

tdWVCC6.jpg

Now, what about the rovers?

Well, we have one for carrying Kerbals around...

Spoiler

1H2oME7.jpg

...one to carry Ore around...

Spoiler

PuEcuy2.jpg

(And yes, it can dock to the tower)

LkGIN9w.jpg

...aaaaaaaaand one for science purposes, plus it has an antenna, meaning it can transmit the science anywhere as long as it has signal.

Spoiler

iPHyBPR.jpg

So, do I win?

1 hour ago, Fred Cop said:

You didn't specify how many buildings/crafts I'd have to build, nor did it have to be pretty;

Meet the ugly leaning tower of everything!!

1fHszDn.jpg

As can be seen in the upper right, it has all stock resources apart from IntakeAir.

tdWVCC6.jpg

Now, what about the rovers?

Well, we have one for carrying Kerbals around...

Hide contents

1H2oME7.jpg

...one to carry Ore around...

Hide contents

PuEcuy2.jpg

(And yes, it can dock to the tower)

LkGIN9w.jpg

...aaaaaaaaand one for science purposes, plus it has an antenna, meaning it can transmit the science anywhere as long as it has signal.

Hide contents

iPHyBPR.jpg

So, do I win?

You did an awesome job! There is no 'winning' in this challenge. It is all about fun.

The "village" had just received the second house and immediately started to demand a grocery store. As the CEO of 77 Industries I immediately started developing a formula for a franchise.

dPtyZxe.png

The villagers started complaining right away! The desing is ungainly, more suited for a city. Not enough parking spots and they're too short for SUV's, they fear customers will park their cars in the "street". The shop windows are too small, they don't like the repurposed fuel tank fearing it might be dangerous. They don't like the fact it's only open during daytime (a few hours) and they don't like the big 77 because they think it will confuse the mailman (it's number 5).

Oh and they don't like the fact they need to climb a ladder with their shopping bags ... and I'm honest, it was a small oversight.

Edited by Azimech

The next morning the truck delivered number 2, across the street. The villagers walked out and almost started a riot, the truck driver ran away leaving the truck on the spot. I've heard the villagers have started a petition to get "that thing" removed. And who is this creepy kerbal that lives in such a place?!

Look, next time I'll ask for some pictures before I agree and sign the delivery contract.

Yb8YNH2.png

wftbImq.png

By the way, such ugly curtains!

Edited by Azimech

Now that the villagers had their designated villain, they demanded a sheriff. They couldn't believe their eyes when his office arrived.

a5pBUBy.png

"It looks more like the temple of a cult!", a villager said.

In his defence the sheriff said "I want everyone in the KSC know I'm here! Those airhead scientists know nothing about the law! I'll teach them!"
He was oblivious of the fact his star is facing the wrong direction and because the village is 53 km north of the KSC, below the horizon.

Meanwhile, another petition has started.

Oh and sheriff, you left the lights of the car on!

Edited by Azimech

13 hours ago, NSEP said:

KSOS is not cheating! I might add that mod in aswell.

I wasn't announcing KSOS as an exploit but rather just wondering if it would be considered cheating. Other mods that will have an important role in my project include extraplanetary launchpads and Konstruction.

An update on my project status to go along with this post:

In preplanning stage; designing konstruction vehicles to use. Will build city at proper distance of 5 miles (~8 km) away from the KSC launchpad on the coast.

Current projections forecast a population capacity between 1,000 and 8,000, potentially exceeding the requested population capacity by a factor of 10.

For the reference of others, my city will include:

• A hanger using extraplanetary launchpads to build new planes with an area dedicated as the runway
  • An industrial district for producing rocket parts
  • A downtown district where taller towers may or may not be built
  • Some suburbs for the general population
  • Hopefully some centralized utilities (probably will have to use KAS)
  • A tech area like silicon valley
  • A much nicer suburb area near the tech region for the brilliant kerbals there getting a bigger paycheck

I'm hoping to make this city amazing and am planning on taking screenshots every in game hour to document progress.

As of 4:45 PM Pacific Time, my city will be en route to glory.

-lococarl, over and out.

1 hour ago, lococarl said:

I wasn't announcing KSOS as an exploit but rather just wondering if it would be considered cheating. Other mods that will have an important role in my project include extraplanetary launchpads and Konstruction.

An update on my project status to go along with this post:

In preplanning stage; designing konstruction vehicles to use. Will build city at proper distance of 5 miles (~8 km) away from the KSC launchpad on the coast.

Current projections forecast a population capacity between 1,000 and 8,000, potentially exceeding the requested population capacity by a factor of 10.

For the reference of others, my city will include:

• A hanger using extraplanetary launchpads to build new planes with an area dedicated as the runway
  • An industrial district for producing rocket parts
  • A downtown district where taller towers may or may not be built
  • Some suburbs for the general population
  • Hopefully some centralized utilities (probably will have to use KAS)
  • A tech area like silicon valley
  • A much nicer suburb area near the tech region for the brilliant kerbals there getting a bigger paycheck

I'm hoping to make this city amazing and am planning on taking screenshots every in game hour to document progress.

As of 4:45 PM Pacific Time, my city will be en route to glory.

-lococarl, over and out.

Cool cant wait to see it!

33 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Cool cant wait to see it!

Glad to see support of the idea! I'm need to rework the counter-weighting on my forklift because it's currently unable to lift the biggest parts that I'm going to be using right now. Sadly I have an event to attend so I'm forced to take a break and come back a little bit later tonight. When I return to my work, I'll probably jump straight to finding a good location on the coast to the north and try to get a screenshot up quickly. I've got big plans here, and this . . . it will be . . . a . . . big, no . . . massive project to undertake. Total completion should take somewhere in the range of 3-6 weeks if I really cram at this.

-lococarl, over and out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.