KSP Fan-Art MkII

Luigibro606

I don't even know why I did this.

http://i.imgur.com/U7aLcHG.gif

Because it needed to be done?

Mucking about in Blender. Rolling a basic space plane out of a hangar.

http://i.imgur.com/1cc09xH.png

This is awesome.

I better throw in something of my own. Here is an "Artist's Impression" of a spacecraft arriving at Jool.

NJTxvTd.png?1

Not bad for the price of a sandwich.

Edited by Tw1

Nice ! Are the parts re-modeled or imported?

Imported. Modeling parts isn't too hard for me but the texturing process requires more of an artistic eye and knowledge. Slowly I'm learning! Hi poly count objects, easy to make. Low poly, easy to animate, and textured properly is not so easy for me.

The plane itself was just thrown together to rough out that scene for an animation I'm working on. I was trying to make a basic space plane, nothing really flashy but more like a mark 1 type of build, early prototype. Pumped out that still to see how it was coming along.

New renders have added lighting animations, movement of the plane, and the time of day/lighting has been changed for a dawn launch.

Edited by esinohio

Yet more mucking about in Blender.

http://i.imgur.com/RL7pPam.png

Looks pretty good. This looks like it was made with the Blender internal renderer and not the Cycles renderer. That's a shame. (I myself never really did a lot with Cycles simply because my graphics card (which was only considered decent by the gaming community for less than a year) isn't supported. So I have to make do with my CPU, which is a bit slow.)

Do you have to put the parts together yourself, or is there a script that does it for you?

Looks pretty good. This looks like it was made with the Blender internal renderer and not the Cycles renderer. That's a shame. (I myself never really did a lot with Cycles simply because my graphics card (which was only considered decent by the gaming community for less than a year) isn't supported. So I have to make do with my CPU, which is a bit slow.)

Do you have to put the parts together yourself, or is there a script that does it for you?

Sadly that is the cycles render engine just with around 500 samples. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to Blender and have only really been messing with it as part of ongoing physical therapy for my hand. I also appear to be in the same boat as far as graphics card support for GPU rendering as I'm stuck using CPU renders. What could I do to make it more "cycles looking"? Has to be the grass and pavement.... I hate the pavement. Gah!

As far as putting the parts together I just append in my individual parts I've collected and build my ship. That one is just the standard Aeries in the default craft.

I'm not sure if I've posted any of these before, so be warned some might be reposted. I don't exactly have the time to go looking through tons of pages to see my post.

OhJSudc.png

Kerbin countries.

m5FFCFe.png

My flag of Kerbin.

4dbcUCm.png

The name of my KSP fan-fic.

OF73EiP.png

I make lots of Kerbin One stuff when I'm bored.

ODPjNu9.png

Jool, Laythe and Tylo, my favorite planetary system besides Kerbin.

F9yNd7L.png

Another user on the website where I've uploaded Kerbin One wanted me to make a cover image for his fic.

kxCiMY4.png

An alternate KSP logo.

Sadly that is the cycles render engine just with around 500 samples. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to Blender and have only really been messing with it as part of ongoing physical therapy for my hand. I also appear to be in the same boat as far as graphics card support for GPU rendering as I'm stuck using CPU renders. What could I do to make it more "cycles looking"? Has to be the grass and pavement.... I hate the pavement. Gah!

As far as putting the parts together I just append in my individual parts I've collected and build my ship. That one is just the standard Aeries in the default craft.

Grass looks excellent, I'll tell you that. You can assign a vertex group to the grass particle group and then use Weight Paint if you want to control where grass should grow.

You should also apply a bit of gloss to the hangar doors to make them look shiny and metallic.

If you want, you can also change the normals a bit to make the dirt even cooler looking.

I also think that the sun should be moved so that it's aiming directly at the hangar and gets the plane (and the hangar) to cast a shadow.

All cycles. Never even tried the BI render engine. The contrast was tweaked a bit to bring it more in line with the look of the background. In that render only minimal smoke is being generated due to my impatience when it comes to waiting on that sim to bake. Probably should have let it move further into the sim as well so the flame had time to fully stretch out from the wind force.

(* I wish I had 1/100'th the talent that the artists I see up here have. *)

Inspired by SyByAbraham's completely awesome renders I tried my hand at a poodle. Only a basic modeling pass with zero texturing done. A few colors added to help distinguish parts. Further refinements need to be added where the various pipes join. How does it look so far?

1KJOmmI.png

Inspired by SyByAbraham's completely awesome renders I tried my hand at a poodle. Only a basic modeling pass with zero texturing done. A few colors added to help distinguish parts. Further refinements need to be added where the various pipes join. How does it look so far?

http://i.imgur.com/1KJOmmI.png

I love your modesty just as I appreciate your works. "hey, it's just a rough sketch, I haven't even textured it, ok?"

dang it, how did you make the nozzle so shiny and smooth? Every time I do it, it appears really noisy and jagged. (I set the mesh to smooth)

Edited by longbyte1

Smooth shading and I believe the sub-surface modifier. That should get just about anything completely smooth. The problem I'm finding is completely smooth rarely looks real. Working on the "gently used" look that SyByAhbraham showcased in his picture. So its off to the cgtextures site for some textures and yet more tutorials floating on YouTube.

Smooth shading and I believe the sub-surface modifier. That should get just about anything completely smooth. The problem I'm finding is completely smooth rarely looks real. Working on the "gently used" look that SyByAhbraham showcased in his picture. So its off to the cgtextures site for some textures and yet more tutorials floating on YouTube.

Also, do you know how to "link" an edge loop to a face? This is my scenario:

Hsv260u.png

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. You have to delete the faces and then bridge the edge loops together.

EDIT 2: Okay, here's mine:

432tfi8.jpg

Updated:

3AsQhGN.jpg

Edited by longbyte1