Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3 Can't Join Parts

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a Kerbodyne rocket body to a Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3, which is connected to a TR-XL Stack Separator above it, but the bottom two won't snap at all. Another post mentioned this but it was archived and never solved. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/g9kzy

Edited by Goldenseek
Added image link

@Goldenseek To attach a screenshot (this is the fastest and easiest method, and imgur is glitched right now for some time already, anyway so it has the same effect as more complex methods which used to give better effects before imgur got glitched), go to imgur.com, click on the NEW POST button in upper left corner, and drag and drop, or BROWSE to find the screenshot (KSP screenshots are in screenshots folder in main KSP folder, that is by default). Then just copy and paste the link to the page you were just teleported into, into your forum (not imgur) post. BTW as long as you don't close that page, you can drag and drop more images into it!

@Goldenseek: from the pic you linked, can't see a reason why those two parts shouldn't connect. I'd first of all try with just those two parts (make a brand new vessel, get the ADTP-2-3 as root part and slam that Kerbodyne tank on it). I have them working just fine (KSP 1.2.1), and expect you'll see them working as well.

If they don't connect, I suspect one of the two has a messed config file (for the Kerbodyne tank, /GameData/Squad/Parts/FuelTank/Size3Tanks/large.cfg; for the ADTP-2-3, /GameData/Squad/Partss/Structural/Size3To2Adapter/part.cfg), with the relevant node position altered or outright missing; would then be nice if you could show those config files content.

If the two connect, try connecting the parts above (the TR-XL separator, the engine above it and so on). You can always change the root part with the re-root tool in the editor and save as a subassembly, that can be attached to the vessel you were building. Let us know if and where you still find parts not connecting doing so.

17 hours ago, diomedea said:

@Goldenseek: from the pic you linked, can't see a reason why those two parts shouldn't connect. I'd first of all try with just those two parts (make a brand new vessel, get the ADTP-2-3 as root part and slam that Kerbodyne tank on it). I have them working just fine (KSP 1.2.1), and expect you'll see them working as well.

If they don't connect, I suspect one of the two has a messed config file (for the Kerbodyne tank, /GameData/Squad/Parts/FuelTank/Size3Tanks/large.cfg; for the ADTP-2-3, /GameData/Squad/Partss/Structural/Size3To2Adapter/part.cfg), with the relevant node position altered or outright missing; would then be nice if you could show those config files content.

If the two connect, try connecting the parts above (the TR-XL separator, the engine above it and so on). You can always change the root part with the re-root tool in the editor and save as a subassembly, that can be attached to the vessel you were building. Let us know if and where you still find parts not connecting doing so.

Ok, below are the config files for those two parts, and I'm linking more screenshots of those two parts individually. Apparently, I can mount the tank on the side, or superimpose it over the adapter, but can't put it underneath... Strange.

http://imgur.com/a/VnRG6

Adapter

PART
{
    name = Size3to2Adapter
    module = Part
    author = Squad
    mesh = Size3Adapter.mu
    rescaleFactor = 1
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.1, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.1, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
    buoyancy = 0.375
    TechRequired = largeVolumeContainment
    entryCost = 8800
    cost = 2600
    category = Structural
    subcategory = 0
    title = Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3
    manufacturer = Kerbodyne
    description = This adapter is used to bridge between Kerbodyne and Rockomax rocket bodies.
    attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
    mass = 0.2
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.3
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 6
    breakingForce = 200
    breakingTorque = 200
    maxTemp = 2000 // = 2900
    bulkheadProfiles = size2, size3
    tags = cone rockomax
    DRAG_CUBE
    {
        cube = Default, 7.344658,0.7515181,1.980434, 7.344658,0.7516301,1.980434, 11.00077,0.4258759,2.35452, 11.00077,0.7470945,0.1906485, 7.3984,0.7432775,1.971122, 7.3984,0.7581861,1.971122, -1.907349E-06,0,0, 3.776463,2.301678,3.757764
    }
}

Kerbodyne Tank

PART
{
    name = Size3LargeTank
    module = Part
    author = Squad
    rescaleFactor = 1
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 3.74, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -3.74, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
    node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -1.89, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0
    TechRequired = highPerformanceFuelSystems
    entryCost = 46600
    cost = 13000
    category = Propulsion
    subcategory = 0
    title = Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank
    manufacturer = Kerbodyne
    description = When nobody believed in (or even asked for) an even larger fuel tank than the already enormous S3-7200, Kerbodyne stepped up with the sanity-defying S3-14400 model. Carrying fully twice as much fuel as before, this fuel tank may just pack enough propellant to justify its proportionately enormous cost.
    attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
    mass = 9
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.3
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 6
    breakingForce = 400
    breakingTorque = 400
    maxTemp = 2000 // = 2900
    bulkheadProfiles = size3, srf
    tags = fuel fueltank ?lfo propellant rocket
    MODEL
    {
        model = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/Size3Tanks/Size3LargeTank
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = LiquidFuel
        amount = 6480
        maxAmount = 6480
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Oxidizer
        amount = 7920
        maxAmount = 7920
    }
}

Interesting enough, there's also a folder in FuelTank called Size3LargeTank with a part.cfg, maybe from an older distribution? In case you're curious, here it is:

PART
{
    name = Size3LargeTank
    module = Part
    author = Squad
    mesh = Size3LargeTank.mu
    rescaleFactor = 1
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 3.74, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -3.74, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
    node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -1.89, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0
    TechRequired = highPerformanceFuelSystems
    entryCost = 46600
    cost = 13000
    category = Propulsion
    subcategory = 0
    title = Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank
    manufacturer = Kerbodyne
    description = When nobody believed in (or even asked for) an even larger fuel tank than the already enormous S3-7200, Kerbodyne stepped up with the sanity-defying S3-14400 model. Carrying fully twice as much fuel as before, this fuel tank may just pack enough propellant to justify its proportionately enormous cost.
    attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0
    mass = 9
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.3
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 6
    breakingForce = 400
    breakingTorque = 400
    maxTemp = 2000 // = 2900
    bulkheadProfiles = size3, srf
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = LiquidFuel
        amount = 6480
        maxAmount = 6480
    }
    RESOURCE
    {
        name = Oxidizer
        amount = 7920
        maxAmount = 7920
    }
}

Edited by Goldenseek
Added image link

OK, of those config files, the adapter and the tank "large.cfg" perfectly match what expected, in particular their nodes descriptions (with each node, a triplet for position on X,Y,Z axes in relation to the part center and a triplet for orientation, then node type; part center actually comes from the part mesh). Also the config "part.cfg" for the tank matches, but you shouldn't have that "Size3LargeTank" subfolder within FuelTank, it probably is an obsolete folder that wasn't deleted when you upgraded KSP.

Having two different config with the same name for the part, creates a conflict. Still can't see why it would result in the nodes (for that tank) behaving that way, however please delete that "Size3LargeTank" subfolder and check if that solves the issue.

On 11/14/2016 at 2:34 AM, sal_vager said:

Hi @Goldenseek, before deleting anything can you please try attaching the tank again, then find the output_log.txt in KSP_Data and paste the contents to pastebin.com for us, thanks.

I can't, the file size is just a little too big, even if I get rid of the last two scene changes after I'm in the VAB. Also, in case you're curious, I have both a KSP_Data and a KSP_x64_Data folder, the KSP_x64_Data seems to be the one in use.

10 hours ago, Goldenseek said:

I can't, the file size is just a little too big, even if I get rid of the last two scene changes after I'm in the VAB. Also, in case you're curious, I have both a KSP_Data and a KSP_x64_Data folder, the KSP_x64_Data seems to be the one in use.

It should compress pretty well, it's just text, maybe try zipping it up.

15 hours ago, sal_vager said:

It should compress pretty well, it's just text, maybe try zipping it up.

http://pastebin.com/vj0n6xcR

There you go, I only copied the stuff from the scene change of main menu to space center through the scene change of space center to VAB; I should mention the "Size3LargeTank added to ship" only appeared after I mounted it radially

This looks familiar.

[RDTechTree]: No tech node found called largeControl

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[RDTechTree]: No tech node found called Unresearcheable

If I remember right this is caused by a mod changing the path to another techtree.cfg, make sure the career node in your save points to the Squad tech tree, like this.

CAREER
        {
            TechTreeUrl = GameData/Squad/Resources/TechTree.cfg

The two nodes above are not stock nodes and do not exist in that file, so you may also have to look for those nodes in your persistent.sfs and delete them, back up the file first though.

Mods leave traces behind in many places, and can screw up a stock game even after they are removed, so it's important to keep stock and modded saves separate.

20 hours ago, sal_vager said:

This looks familiar.

If I remember right this is caused by a mod changing the path to another techtree.cfg, make sure the career node in your save points to the Squad tech tree, like this.

The two nodes above are not stock nodes and do not exist in that file, so you may also have to look for those nodes in your persistent.sfs and delete them, back up the file first though.

Mods leave traces behind in many places, and can screw up a stock game even after they are removed, so it's important to keep stock and modded saves separate.

The TechTreeURL matches, and apparently those nodes don't even exist in my persistent.sfs... I haven't used mods in a long time, I think it was MechJeb, but I wouldn't be surprised either if they left some traces in weird places. Any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

4 hours ago, Goldenseek said:

The TechTreeURL matches, and apparently those nodes don't even exist in my persistent.sfs... I haven't used mods in a long time, I think it was MechJeb, but I wouldn't be surprised either if they left some traces in weird places. Any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

As you have another size3largetank I think it's time you reinstalled KSP fresh, then copied your saves over to the new install, as the size3largetank folder should not be present and there's no telling what other extra files you might have.

19 hours ago, sal_vager said:

As you have another size3largetank I think it's time you reinstalled KSP fresh, then copied your saves over to the new install, as the size3largetank folder should not be present and there's no telling what other extra files you might have.

Huh that seemed to work... And now I can see all the features I've been missing out on! (Apparently some of the recently added VAB sidebars like coupling and electrical didn't appear). 

Thanks so much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.