Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

Just now, Triop said:

But that will give me the problem that I have to check the challenge all year to see if some one did better...

I guess I can give the challenge a deadline: Feb 1st.

Setting this up is harder then I thought it would be :lol:

But if it's one stage a week, we would cut off at week (Or stage) 4. (Call me a jerk; I know I need it :P )

I think that we should cut off the staging at the end of the week. (i.e. Stage 1: Jan. 1st-Jan. 7th. Stage 2: Jan. 8-Jan. 15. etc.) Just like you said earlier in the thread. (Don't ask me to quote it; I'm on vacation and internet is terrible)

Just now, Triop said:

But that will give me the problem that I have to check the challenge all year to see if some one did better...

As far as scheduling, more lenience will be generally lower maintenance. Keep it simple.

Week 1, stage 1.

Week 2 stage 2.

Etc.

this allows for scheduling around real life. Any entry of a completed stage outside the week it was open is just for fun. No ranking earned. Wait til next years Dakar. 

11 minutes ago, Triop said:

My suggestion is to run each stage for a week then close the rally for that course and start the next race on a different track ... There are so many places to set up a Dakar rally challenge that we will never run out of ideas on where to run a rally

Edited by DoctorDavinci

6 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

But if it's one stage a week, we would cut off at week (Or stage) 4. (Call me a jerk; I know I need it :P )

I think that we should cut off the staging at the end of the week. (i.e. Stage 1: Jan. 1st-Jan. 7th. Stage 2: Jan. 8-Jan. 15. etc.) Just like you said earlier in the thread. (Don't ask me to quote it; I'm on vacation and internet is terrible)

Nah, that will only push people away.

Some may not have the time or would loose interest.

Besides, I guess everybody will finish his Dakar in the first week. Letting them wait for weeks to upload a time that the allready had on the first day, nah......

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

My suggestion is to run each stage for a week then close the rally for that course and start the next Dakar on a different track ... There are so many places to set up a Dakar rally challenge that we will never run out of ideas on where to run a rally

You mean a new track each week? Or do the stages we have, and then close the leaderboard?

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut
Learning to punctuate like a big boy.

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

It was discovered that time warping fixes those little offset node issues after a prang. :wink:

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

Not always :-)

Getting out and back into a command chair also generally fixes those prangs.

53 minutes ago, regex said:

i wonder how DMP would handle multiple complex cars...

That would be so much fun if it would work! 

14 minutes ago, Triop said:

I'm thinking of adding a rule that says you can only run the rally once, meaning once you uploaded your time you can not re-run the rally to do a better time until 2018.

I want to do this to prevent 1 single person sitting on 1st, 2nd, 3th place on the leaderboard.

What do you think ?

Edit: What I can do is let you race it again with a other car you designed.

yeah I agree, one entry per class. But maybe if you have a smash on a later stage, you can go back and redo from the start and then go on those new times?

3 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

... do the stages we have, and then close the leaderboard?

^^^ This

Not sure of how long, I said a week as an arbitrary figure, but run the course we have now then close it for entries and move on to the next ... this will end up building a racing circuit for all of us with new tracks being thought up as we go

We can always go back and revisit a track later on down the line

1 minute ago, katateochi said:

But maybe if you have a smash on a later stage, you can go back and redo from the start and then go on those new times?

That's already a rule: If you crash you have to start the whole rally again.

O, I see your point: e.g. if you crash in week 3 on stage 3 it's impossible to redo the first stages.

I will keep it simple and run the challenge for a month.

As for entering your times, upload screenshots from all stages showing us times and flags.

All these times together make your final score.

Well what I mean is a cut-off. Like you can only post the time for the stage BEFORE the time. Like if you have a faster time for stage 1, but it's Jan. 8, too bad, the time limit's passed. If you can do stage 4 by Jan. 3rd, then good for you; you're on the board.

Just now, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

That would have to be a few more stages. But hell yeah. 

WOOO

And we could do like monthly rallies! January gets Dakar, Febuary gets Desert Dunes (Named it off the top of my head; Subject to change), March gets [Error: 404 not found], etc.

3 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

WOOO

And we could do like monthly rallies! January gets Dakar, Febuary gets Desert Dunes (Named it off the top of my head; Subject to change), March gets [Error: 404 not found], etc.

Oh man that would be amazing.

On another note I thought of a race that has a over the mountain  stage using the winch from KAS.

Edited by liveinaboxkerbal
Grammar

Just now, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I'd say let's just take it one at a time. There's no telling when the winds will change. But yep. KRL. 

WOOO

Wait... I VOLUNTEER THE KSCRC FOR THE KRL!!!

The Kerbal Space Center Racing Championship (KSCRC) takes place over 10 events, with 5 different car classes. Look at my KSCRC thread for more info.

9 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Maybe it could be the idea of the Old KSC to the temple?

That would be nice, someone already layed a flag route for it, but I can't remember who....:sealed:

I've seen the screenshot (that I now can not find).

A LOT of flags...though rally...

2 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

WOOO

Wait... I VOLUNTEER THE KSCRC FOR THE KRL!!!

The Kerbal Space Center Racing Championship (KSCRC) takes place over 10 events, with 5 different car classes. Look at my KSCRC thread for more info.

Your KSCRC challenge is good and all but it isn't a Dakar rally ... It's a series of tracks based around the KSC that has a set course

The appeal of this challenge, for me at least, is the length of the stages and that you can take whatever route you want to between flags

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Your KSCRC challenge is good and all but it isn't a Dakar rally ... It's a series of tracks based around the KSC that has a set course

The appeal of this challenge, for me at least, is the length of the stages and that you can take whatever route you want to between flags

Well I thought it was the Kerbal Racing League so technically it should count.

Same sort of thing as the Azimech Racing Challenge in a way; Just with multiple circuits.

7 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Well I thought it was the Kerbal Racing League so technically it should count.

Same sort of thing as the Azimech Racing Challenge in a way; Just with multiple circuits.

I wasn't trying to knock your idea, it's just that there are many of us who do not have the hand/eye coordination and would not be able to take part in those small track based challenges ... include it by all means, however that may be limiting others to just being spectators who would like to take part

I for one loved Azimech's challenge and even tried to take part but my hands twitch and don't do what I tell 'em to all the time so I wasn't able to post a successful entry

Edited by DoctorDavinci

2 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I wasn't trying to knock your idea, it's just that there are many of us who do not have the hand/eye coordination and would not be able to take part in those set track based challenges ... include it by all means, however that may be limiting others to just being spectators who would like to take part

I for one loved Azimech's challenge and even tried to take part but my hands twitch and don't do what I tell 'em to all the time so I wasn't able to post a successful entry

Oh I didn't mean it to mean like that; Not at all. Sorry if you thought that way. As for the hand/eye coord, I understand 100%. I just think that it could be the March or whatever month challenge in the KRL.