Hello! Fellow Kerbal students

michanst

Was searching for SIMS when I saw this game. Got interested and bought. I didn't watch any tutorial or have any idea how the game works. I just played on my intuition and my previous NASA experience (BWAHAHAHA!!!). I played on CAREER-NORMAL mode. Had a tons of disastrous designs and flight testings. Just when I finally got to space and I said to myself, "HELL YEAH, I can do this!", I zoomed out the map and saw the moon.... "ooppsss... it's far... my funds are nearly depleting..., maybe I still can.." BUT when i zoomed out more... seeing the SUN and all the planets made me realized that I was NO WHERE NEAR on what I had accomplished. Haha! So I tried for the first time the SANDBOX mode. The moment I saw the pre-made ships, I backed out. I don't want to get either spoon-feeded nor spoil my adventures and ideas. So now, I'm currently at 11k funds, bankrupt. My plane flight testing cost me a ton and the source of my downfall. Goodbye to my first ever space program. With that, Im planning to create a new CAREER-NORMAL but this time I'll give a "tweak" on MAX FUNDS but the rest will be on default. Hoping to reach just MUN on this program. God bless Kerbal.

I really like this game. Very challenging, fun and frustrating at the same time. Glad to buy this game even if my specs are kinda "playable" level.

Greetings @michanst and welcome to the forums.

You can revert your save when testing designs and not waste kredits - just press escape and either revert to launch or SPH/VAB.  Remember not to switch to the space center during the flight or you will lose the option to revert.

If you can make orbit around Kerbin then you're already 3/4 of the way to a Mun flyby.  Add a little more fuel, maybe a few boosters, make orbit around kerbin and plot a free return trajectory.  After that you are 3/4  of the way to orbiting the Mun.

3 hours ago, James Kerman said:

Greetings @michanst and welcome to the forums.

You can revert your save when testing designs and not waste kredits - just press escape and either revert to launch or SPH/VAB.  Remember not to switch to the space center during the flight or you will lose the option to revert.

If you can make orbit around Kerbin then you're already 3/4 of the way to a Mun flyby.  Add a little more fuel, maybe a few boosters, make orbit around kerbin and plot a free return trajectory.  After that you are 3/4  of the way to orbiting the Mun.

Pressing escape (out to the menu) feels like cheating. I rather do the regular flow of the game wherein I get the refunded of my testing if the cockpit is safe or suffer the consequence of failed tests. Though I do choose revert all the time if possible. Sometimes, I purposely suicide my tests so I can revert back (its not cheating for me compared to the escape thing).

3 hours ago, monstah said:

You can turn off the spoon-fed ships, or just delete them from the VAB/SPH :wink:

Welcome! Let the exploration flow, you're not constrained by your agency's budget or your boss anymore!

I prefer taking the longer route. Just like in any MMORPG, start with nothing. Starting from scratch, complete the missions, gain science points to unlock and such. I'm just not feeling the sandbox mode. I think having the tweak 500k funds on normal mode on Career seems reasonable and the rest on default.

Has anyone reached all the planets and moon on Career on at least normal mode? If someone does, it would be great motivation. 

My steam id/name is the same here on KERBAL, michanst. Would be great if there will be multiplayer soon wherein all players ships will meet. Docked on their space stations, have joint explorations and some events like on the ARMAGEDDON and DEEP IMPACT movies.

One tip. If you can accomplish it without using extra fuel, put your spacecraft in a clockwise orbit around Mun. That way you can do a pro-grade burn on the far side of Mun that will lower your Kerbin orbit. Do it just right and you can use the Kerbin atmosphere to air break, using very little fuel on your return trip.

@michanst Not only have many people visited all bodies in career-normal mode, there are mods to the game (unless you play on a console system) that can make it more difficult to do so (and people have accomplished those goals as well!)  These mods might include remodeling the kerbolar system ("Kerbol" the name of the star around which the planet Kerbin is orbiting) to have different planets from stock, or even our real Sol system, or the default kerbolar system rescaled to Solar system planet sizes, or even adding other star systems entirely (necessitating the in-game development of interstellar-distance-capable craft!)

Please feel free to friend / follow me here on the forums.  I'd be very happy to chat with you some more!

On 1/3/2017 at 6:54 PM, MisterFister said:

@michanst Not only have many people visited all bodies in career-normal mode, there are mods to the game (unless you play on a console system) that can make it more difficult to do so (and people have accomplished those goals as well!)  These mods might include remodeling the kerbolar system ("Kerbol" the name of the star around which the planet Kerbin is orbiting) to have different planets from stock, or even our real Sol system, or the default kerbolar system rescaled to Solar system planet sizes, or even adding other star systems entirely (necessitating the in-game development of interstellar-distance-capable craft!)

Please feel free to friend / follow me here on the forums.  I'd be very happy to chat with you some more!

For now I'll pass on the MODS, not 'til I get my first GIANT STEP FOR KEBALKIND. I'm still having difficulty on how to orbit the Earth correctly. Thanks.

On 1/3/2017 at 1:03 AM, Ty Tan Tu said:

One tip. If you can accomplish it without using extra fuel, put your spacecraft in a clockwise orbit around Mun. That way you can do a pro-grade burn on the far side of Mun that will lower your Kerbin orbit. Do it just right and you can use the Kerbin atmosphere to air break, using very little fuel on your return trip.

Was playing alot offline. I did finally managed to escape the Earth's escape velocity with "1 straight-shoot-to-the-mun" but eventually missed it (like an archer hitting an apple, but was sooooo close) and ended up my lone pilot wondering the space orbiting the sun.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=839198216 (floating endlessly, byebye~)

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/167030984364366436/C70B46466289C6C2002EE17417EB565ADA633E9C/ (near the mun)

Edited by michanst
Additional links for pics