David XII SSTM

UPDATE!

I have uploaded an improved version of my rocket capable of true SSTM

Hello everyone! With the coming of 0.16 I had to revise and remake all of my rockets, good fun! I bring to you the 'King' of my Rockets, the 'David XII' Single Stage Mun Launch System (SSMLS) I\'ll be uploading a .CRAFT file at the end of the gratuitous pictures of me making it to the Mun and back.

Miscellaneous Info:

- This is the biggest and most powerful Rocket I have built so far, therefore I decided to name it after the most powerful king of Israel, David, in the Hebrew Scriptures.

- This baby is a polluter, ALL of the stages in this rocket end up in orbit of some body in the Kerbol system, be it Kerbin, Mun, or even Kerbol (the first stage usually does this because of a Munar Gravity Assist)

- This rocket works best when using controlled burns, I usually try to keep my G marker around 1 and accelerate accordingly

- Command Module has RCS because I don\'t like the fact that it just moves on its own

- The strange layout of the second stage was inspired by this lander made by 'deadshot462' and of course the Apollo Missions

Thanks for checking out my designs! I\'ll keep posting new ones as I make new ones that I consider to be cool!

P.S. If you guys want, I can attach Davids IV-XI, they were all failures is some way or another, it's hilarious!

Edited by AmpsterMan
Got Rid of IMG tags, they aren't working for some reason

Nice ship, but I\'m afraid the jettison of that first engine removes its 'single-stage' status.

From Wikipedia:

'A single-stage-to-orbit (or SSTO) vehicle reaches orbit from the surface of a body without jettisoning hardware, expending only propellants and fluids.'

So if you want it to be single-stage-to-mun, you can\'t jettison ANYTHING before you get there.

Nice ship, but I\'m afraid the jettison of that first engine removes its 'single-stage' status.

From Wikipedia:

'A single-stage-to-orbit (or SSTO) vehicle reaches orbit from the surface of a body without jettisoning hardware, expending only propellants and fluids.'

So if you want it to be single-stage-to-mun, you can\'t jettison ANYTHING before you get there.

Well, its a stage-an-a-half design. Like the original Atlas rocket.

From Wikipedia:

So I went back and fixed what was causing the middle stack wasting away first ( It was cross-feeding). Then I read up on what specific impulse means, realised that big booster on the second stage was unnecessary; replaced it with the older gimbaling engine. So i tried going to the mun with this new design and quickly realised this design is actually MORE efficient than my previous ship.

So I tried landing it

Hilarity (and an idea for a new design ensued)

scaled.php?server=84&filename=screenshot6ox.png&res=landingscreenshot19wi.pngscreenshot20f.pngscreenshot24w.pngscreenshot27wr.png

I'll upload the David XIII to the Original Post.

P.S. The first image is me just boosting as far as possible for funzies

Edited by AmpsterMan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.