Make the cost of hiring consistent

The way the cost is getting higher and higher the more kerbals you hire is pretty bad. Not everyone is willing to do rescue contracts when they can't afford the ridiculously high prices.

It might be a good idea to make the price depend on how well the kerbals are trained. So each additional star would cost X funds. I would still not use it because I think sending untrained crew into space is a pretty ridiculous thing to do but at least people would have more flexibility over what they can do.

Please, consider this and give us more choices over what kind of playstyle one wants to choose and follow.

3 hours ago, Veeltch said:

Please, consider this and give us more choices over what kind of playstyle one wants to choose and follow.

I like the idea of the three options.

I'm using a funding mod that costs per Kerbal per month, and just hand-edit the file to add funds back after hiring.

Edited by razark

I agree that the hiring prices are messed up, but I do not think that the prices should be constant as that would make it very easy to hire kerbals once you got just a little good. I like the idea about monthly paid kerbals, but on the other hand that would make colonizing a lot of bodies very hard, since the many kerbals needed would require a lot of money. And I btw do not think that the people who are going to colonize mars will be paid, because afaik there are no shops on mars. And neither are there on any of the other planets in the kerbolar system. 
I find the idea with the higher the rank, the higher the price good. But it should be a mix with the pay system we have now. The price changes just shouldn't be as high as they are now.

Edited by Flamingo

1 hour ago, Flamingo said:

I agree that the hiring prices are messed up, but I do not think that the prices should be constant as that would make it very easy to hire pilots once you got just a little good.

What's wrong with pilots?

2 hours ago, razark said:

I'm using a funding mod that costs per Kerbal per month, and just hand-edit the file to add funds back after hiring.

Have you tried that funds mod which grants money daily and caps them monthly based on rep? Maybe it will help. It's in my sig.

3 hours ago, pincushionman said:

Add recurring costs, and the problem that the high hire cost was intended to address goes away. Same with the outlandish upgrade/rebuild costs.

To be honest, recurring costs would fix a great many things with Career mode.

Yeah, one of the biggest problems with making any sort of meaningful "Career" is that time is completely irrelevant right now.  Add in some recurring costs and meaningful deadlines(Not "You have 15 years to run this Mun mission that will only take a week to actually complete) and you could open up a lot more possibilities.

Edited by Hodari

Squad's reluctance to use time based mechanics is, in my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes they've made.  Periodic budgets based on reputation, reputation decay, upkeep costs, life support.  There are so many examples of games (even with time warp) that take great advantage of such mechanics.  It boggles the mind KSP doesn't do the same.

Edited by klgraham1013

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.