Quick Question about Modding

Scoutman1121

14 hours ago, Scoutman1121 said:

Do Mods that are meant for 1.2 and 1.2.1 compatibile with 1.2.2?

Technically, the answer is "maybe" (as @steuben points out), but in practice, I would guess that virtually 100% of 1.2-compatible mods would work just fine in 1.2.2.  So I expect you should be fine

Here's why:  Very little changed in the game between 1.2 and 1.2.2.  Basically, they just fixed some bugs.  For a mod to break, it would have to have code that is critically dependent on some specific aspect that changed between 1.2 and 1.2.2, and that's very unlikely, I'd say.

The main exception to that would be if you had a mod that has an explicit version lock in it (i.e. the mod author deliberately put code in there to make it refuse to run on later versions of KSP, in order to force people to update).  But that's a very rare thing to do-- the only mod I'm aware of that does that is Kopernicus, and it's available for 1.2.2.

Note that the above answer is only because the KSP update from 1.2 to 1.2.2 is a very minor one, basically just bugfixes.  When KSP does a really major update, then that does tend to break all kinds of mods.  For example, the move from 1.0 to 1.1 broke practically everything.

7 hours ago, Snark said:

Technically, the answer is "maybe" (as @steuben points out), but in practice, I would guess that virtually 100% of 1.2-compatible mods would work just fine in 1.2.2.  So I expect you should be fine

Here's why:  Very little changed in the game between 1.2 and 1.2.2.  Basically, they just fixed some bugs.  For a mod to break, it would have to have code that is critically dependent on some specific aspect that changed between 1.2 and 1.2.2, and that's very unlikely, I'd say.

The main exception to that would be if you had a mod that has an explicit version lock in it (i.e. the mod author deliberately put code in there to make it refuse to run on later versions of KSP, in order to force people to update).  But that's a very rare thing to do-- the only mod I'm aware of that does that is Kopernicus, and it's available for 1.2.2.

Note that the above answer is only because the KSP update from 1.2 to 1.2.2 is a very minor one, basically just bugfixes.  When KSP does a really major update, then that does tend to break all kinds of mods.  For example, the move from 1.0 to 1.1 broke practically everything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.