Main Menu Graphics Issue

When I start KSP, the main menu textures are missing.  Ex:  the Kerbal suits are black; the Kerbol planet is bright blue.

I did a full uninstall/install, no mods, double checked graphics drivers were updated, and verified the steam files.

I tried using the KSP launcher instead of the Steam client and it actually works fine.  Seems to be an issue starting the game through steam for me.

Here is a screenshot:  https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/158030922583098773/56CC4B136ECB4F6AA04C5944867F7BA914006A15/

Please help!

I have had that issue, it mainly happens if your cup utter is on the slightly slower side, or when you are to say watching YouTube videos while you wait for it to load, just click where you think the buttons would be and you will either end up in the start game menu or in the settings, if you save and close the settings or end up in the start game menu you are good.

5 hours ago, Atruin said:

When I start KSP, the main menu textures are missing.  Ex:  the Kerbal suits are black; the Kerbol planet is bright blue.

I did a full uninstall/install, no mods, double checked graphics drivers were updated, and verified the steam files.

I tried using the KSP launcher instead of the Steam client and it actually works fine.  Seems to be an issue starting the game through steam for me.

Here is a screenshot:  https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/158030922583098773/56CC4B136ECB4F6AA04C5944867F7BA914006A15/

Please help!

Please remove -force-opengl or -force-glcore from the Steam client launch option for KSP :)

8 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Please remove -force-opengl or -force-glcore from the Steam client launch option for KSP :)

Thank you!!  As soon as I saw this it hit me I was messing with the launch options about a year ago.  

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem. Running 64-bit KSP, I was trying out a new mod and it exhausted my 16 gigs of RAM, so I resorted to OpenGL mode. I hadn't used this mode since the 32-bit days. This single change saved several gigs of RAM and I was able to try out my new mod.

The thing is, OpenGL rendering worked. That is, until I updated my nVidia drivers. Then the textures croaked, just like the screen-shot above. So, I reverted the driver and the textures came back... until the next reboot. After a few attempts reinstalling drivers, it seemed that I'd have textures until the next reboot no matter what version of the driver.

I stripped out every single mod I had and also validated KSP from Steam and nothing permanently solved it.

Is this mode not supported anymore?

Edited by JonathanPerregaux

34 minutes ago, JonathanPerregaux said:

I have the exact same problem. Running 64-bit KSP, I was trying out a new mod and it exhausted my 16 gigs of RAM, so I resorted to OpenGL mode. I hadn't used this mode since the 32-bit days. This single change saved several gigs of RAM and I was able to try out my new mod.

The thing is, OpenGL rendering worked. That is, until I updated my nVidia drivers. Then the textures croaked, just like the screen-shot above. So, I reverted the driver and the textures came back... until the next reboot. After a few attempts reinstalling drivers, it seemed that I'd have textures until the next reboot no matter what version of the driver.

I stripped out every single mod I had and also validated KSP from Steam and nothing permanently solved it.

Is this mode not supported anymore?

The mode was never really supported, It was merely just a workaround to save on ram usage. 

But to answer your question, no. The mode doesn't work correctly for some. Forcing OpenGL hasn't worked correctly since 1.1 for many and since it's not a "feature" the devs have no reason to make it work. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.