NASA is taking a page from the KSP manuals.

whyterabbit1987

Inspired by Nova's images of the new Mars like plannet and some posts refering to the August 9th Mars Curiosity landing I decided to branch from the KSP fantasy world and check out some NASA videos on the subject. Now for all of your viewing pleasure I present the most Kerbal thing NASA has ever attempted.

The Mars Curiosity Rover:

- $2.5 billion US dollars

- 8 month transit time

- Powered by plutonium

- The size of a mini cooper

- 4 Stage untested powered descent with a "Sky Crane" to lower the rover the last 21 feet. (I repeat "Untested")

- Oh and one more thing.... The landing is done completely in the dark under computer control.

In short one of the coolest things NASA has created since Tang. I hope this inspires some new part designs from the community.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?media_id=146903741

I think its doable. a cool maneuver I can think of is a close flyby in an elliptical orbit of mun, with a rover-ish design that uses airplane wheels rather than rockets and is released by a decoupler. I'm sure it's possible to fly close enough to drop one of those off and have it roll off the inertia, but since mun isn't flat, the rover would probably flip over from the speed bumps or turn a crater into a ramp that launches it, or just crash and burn on impact due to the speed (maybe small rockets attached to the front and facing the opposite direction it will be moving might slow it down). I guess you could also just land on mun with rover-ish shaped parts attached to a decoupler directly below the cockpit and an engine, then take off. but the biggest issue with that would be fuel and descent speed due to the extra weight.

Or an interplannetary space plane design capable of taking off from Kerbin traversing space and re-entering a second planets atmosphere to glide down. I do think that the incredible speeds developed would cause the ship to explode from heat long before the atmosphere became thick enough to support any reasonable amount fo lift. But cool either way.

I am already in the stage of designing new ways of landing crafts, and then taking off again to go back to kerbin... It pretty hard to do (for me), and here are my steps:

1-Small lander craft that has enough fuel/thrust to return to Kerbin. (ie/ enough to get me on an escape trajectory, with fuel to spare for orbital maneuvers.

2-A landing system involving both chutes, and rockets, that will fly off once the lander is down (I am hoping for this stage to be above the capsule

3-An orbital maneuvering system for going towards the new planet(s)

4-A launch vehicle for the whole thing, that will be efficient enough to get me into an escape trajectory of Kerbin...

For now, I am still stuck on stage one of this plan.. hopefully some new parts in the update will help me a lot...

Do you guys even knows where the mods section is XD because there's a mod with a skycrane And it's really amazing it's called lionhead ... The creator did the skycrane but he is in vacation so he as stopped working on it for the moment.. But you can still land spirit with the skycrane on Mun and Minmus and I'm working on a Curiosity rover for him still really early In the built of the rover because I'm working on an other project but still...THIS MOD IS AMAZING YOU SHOULD ALL PLAY IT XD and the modder is a really nice guy and have other project in mind as you can see on the mod threat.. :D

So when they know its about to enter athmosphere it has already landed? crazy!

You mean crashed. Did you see their insane landing method? Ain't no way that crane thing will work.

Thank you Antoine_Le_Grand. If you want to try to land the Prometheus Solar Rover (Spirit-like rover) with its skycrane, go check my mod at : http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/12106-0-16-Lionhead-Aerospace-Inc-Solar-Rover-v3-6-New-update-01-08

Here a video of my mod:

Holy balls! Its been done NASA cant fail!

Just one more day till we see if it works!

Honestly I think it stands a good chance of working. It's basically just like the Viking lander landings (uses the same engine even), except it stops itself above the ground and just lowers the rover down. Don't see any reason why it should fail.

- Oh and one more thing.... The landing is done completely in the dark under computer control.

How is it a bad thing its computer controlled? People just screw things up. How many people here can fly their rocket more efficiently than a mechjeb module can?

Every single lander mission in history, with the exception of the Apollo missions, has been computer controlled. There is no way a human can control it with the delay, not even to the moon. Radar doesn't need light to work either. Kinda kills my hopes of a live video stream though.

How is it a bad thing its computer controlled? People just screw things up. How many people here can fly their rocket more efficiently than a mechjeb module can?

Computer controlled is not a bad thing especially in a relatively predictable environment like KSP. My point is contextual computer controlled decision making be it pressure engineering, drone (car or plane) automation or deploying one of the coolest things I have ever heard of on Mars all are hindered by environmental variables. The point is these variables are unpredictable and to design computer based negative feedback loops which are not to slow and not too fast to cause pipes to fail planes to crash or rovers to fall uncontrolled KSP style into the side of a mountain on Mars is very difficult. There is a reason that people oversea automated processes even if they do not directly control them.

So for the 7 minute descent where there is no opportunity to influence whats going on its pretty fricken cool, not bad just awesome that it might work.

Every single lander mission in history, with the exception of the Apollo missions, has been computer controlled. There is no way a human can control it with the delay, not even to the moon. Radar doesn't need light to work either. Kinda kills my hopes of a live video stream though.

If it makes you feel better the descent imagery is being recorded far from live but it will show a hell of a ride.

Computer controlled is not a bad thing especially in a relatively predictable environment like KSP. My point is contextual computer controlled decision making be it pressure engineering, drone (car or plane) automation or deploying one of the coolest things I have ever heard of on Mars all are hindered by environmental variables. The point is these variables are unpredictable and to design computer based negative feedback loops which are not to slow and not too fast to cause pipes to fail planes to crash or rovers to fall uncontrolled KSP style into the side of a mountain on Mars is very difficult. There is a reason that people oversea automated processes even if they do not directly control them.

So for the 7 minute descent where there is no opportunity to influence whats going on its pretty fricken cool, not bad just awesome that it might work.

Still, its not like a human would be able to correct the errors made by the computer when something it wasn't prepared for happens with a 14 minute delay (i think).