SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

20 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

On 7/19/2023 at 3:57 PM, darthgently said:

and they've sunk large corrugated steel sheets (6'-8' deep?) around the pad to alleviate surface erosion

This is good. Although as someone who has seen 70ft sheet piles sunk on multiple sites, I'd argue that they're not that large. :) I'm just hoping that pad edge doesn't end up cantilevered over a hole.

I was guessing at 6' to 8' deep based on vague memory of the recent YouTube episode of Starbase Weekly from the  RGV Aerial Photography channel.  Episode 82, I think.

I was watching and listening on small phone while reading a book, so they could have been deeper.  If the episode wasn't 3 hours long I'd find the time offset for you.

You might enjoy the episode given your interest level

3 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

Thanks. I had a productive discussion with Zach of the CSI Starbase ... he does respectable analysis.

Zach is one of the lead commentators on RGV Starbase Weekly.  They also have people working there commentating off and on

Edited by darthgently

I won't be posting any more content from Twitter (or X as it's about to become) - I'm now permanently logged out.

Relying on you guys now to get my SpaceX news!

Edited by RCgothic

3 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I won't be posting any more content from Twitter (or X as it's about to become) - I'm now permanently logged out.

Awww, that's too bad.  I've really appreciated your (and everyone else's) efforts to post all the updates in this thread.

3 hours ago, RCgothic said:

As long as links to Twitter/X pass your purity test, as that is where SpaceX news breaks first typically

1 hour ago, tater said:

Now the segment with the small pipe holes looked to small to pass the rocket flame these looks to thin to support upper stage. I expect them to be thick however. Both to support the upper stage but also to not overheat during separation  so the steel take damage from overheating. Just an bonefire will turn spring steel into iron, but the contact with the rocket flame will just last seconds. 
If you don't reuse first stage this is not an issue, you just don't want to blow the forward bulkhead until you are +50 meter away :) 

12 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Now the segment with the small pipe holes looked to small to pass the rocket flame these looks to thin to support upper stage. I expect them to be thick however. Both to support the upper stage but also to not overheat during separation  so the steel take damage from overheating. Just an bonefire will turn spring steel into iron, but the contact with the rocket flame will just last seconds. 
If you don't reuse first stage this is not an issue, you just don't want to blow the forward bulkhead until you are +50 meter away :) 

It's thought the ring with the small holes is for ropes/cables to pull on it for "can crusher" tests.