Kerbal Space Program For Steam Greenlight?

GamerGuy09

I can imagine that KSP could be on Steam, but only in Late Beta or the full release (we're in Alpha right now)

I think KSP is going fine right now, and think of it. I personally oppose KSP for Steam because: For example, Minecraft is not on Steam, has had no advertising except word of mouth, and It became one of the most popular indie sandboxes of all time. KSP is like that, it has had no advertising except word of mouth, and it is not on Steam, and I believe it will become very popular without Steam, just not as popular as Minecraft (even with Steam)

Note: I have nothing against Steam, I think it is a great program, I just think KSP can do fine without it.

-Plaatinum Aerospace

Well, obviously you have issues accepting other peoples opinions as well. It doesn't matter if you don't understand or agree, that's MY opinion on the matter. Feel free to have your own, I won't complain about not understanding or agreeing with it.

Note: I have nothing against Steam, I think it is a great program, I just think KSP can do fine without it.

-Plaatinum Aerospace

KSP is not minecraft. What made minecraft a huge success will not work for KSP because it is not even the same genera of game. With that said if minecraft went on steam it would easily sell double the copies it has sold today. The only reason it is not on steam is a political one with notch taking a stand against a semi-fictitious enemy. (The whole valve secret agenda to promote their games over competitors.)

Yes, KSP will do fine without steam. No one is arguing it NEEDS steam. But it would do a lot BETTER with steam. If they ever get to the point where they have so much money they dont know what to do with it and they still have not gotten on steam then it is a mute argument but I dont think they will see as much success as minecraft because it is not as easy, accessible and of an as popular genera as minecraft is.

KSP will do fine without Steam. But I think it would be silly to 'exclude' it from Steam based on some pre-conceived notion of it turning into Minecraft and 'getting too popular.'

It's a pet peeve of mine when people start to dislike things because it 'got too popular' The problem only presents itself if the developers give in to the masses and try to appeal to please as many people as possible.

I think that KSP as it currently stands would appeal to a lot of people already. I also think Squad is capable of maintaining their long-term vision and following through on it.

So I'm for KSP going on Steam.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people start to dislike things because it 'got too popular'.

Disliking things once they became popular was ever so much more fun before it became so popular to dislike things once they became popular.

When liking things before they became cool is something that you start disliking because it's become too popular to like things before they became cool, I think that's a sign that pop culture is folding in on itself to the point where we're risking creating a black hole...

Edited by KevinTMC

• 2 weeks later...
hmm, what i would like to see is that there will be alternative payment options to paypal, considering a lot of people simpely don't have a credit card or don't trust paypal for good reasons.

You can buy VISA gift cards that can be used to purchase the game. Being located in Mexico, a lot of payment options are limited to Squad, mostly due to the added costs and fees collected by other payment processors. More will be available in the future, but for now this is the only viable option they have.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

You can buy VISA gift cards that can be used to purchase the game. Being located in Mexico' date=' a lot of payment options are limited to Squad, mostly due to the added costs and fees collected by other payment processors. More will be available in the future, but for now this is the only viable option they have.

Cheers!

[b']Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

i see, still good to see we have new paymeny options coming in the future.

Disliking things once they became popular was ever so much more fun before it became so popular to dislike things once they became popular.

When liking things before they became cool is something that you start disliking because it's become too popular to like things before they became cool, I think that's a sign that pop culture is folding in on itself to the point where we're risking creating a black hole...

The collective mentality of society has become self-aware. :P

Also, I imagine that Squad would consider using a distribution service such as Steam when their servers are unable to handle the quantity of users downloading updates.

Edited by Ted

• 1 month later...

I don't see any reason why not to release this game on Steam (even in BETA stage, there are a lot of betas on Steam - Guns of Icarus Online, Garry's Mod 13, Ravaged, Loadout, those all are running betas that I am subscribed to right now.). Releasing the game on Steam adds nothing negative to the people who bought the game through the developer site, so I don't really get why is everyone saying "NO NO NO NO NO" when all it can do is just boost the sales (over 25 million of steam customers).

I am actually still waiting to buy the Kerbal Space Program because I want to be sure that it will be released on Steam before buying it.I want all my games in one place - Steam.

It would be even better with the support for Steam Workshop where all the mods and rocket parts would be available for easy install :) and of course the updating of the game would be way easier :)

There is an issue in that they would have to find a good way so that people who bought the game pre-steam can get the steam version. I've seen devs try this and it's always a mess with cd keys not working and all that fun stuff.

The only real advantage that could be had from being on steam would be the updating, however, that's being improved and next update should solve many of the problems.

You can always add KSP as a non-steam game, which is what I did, so that my steam friends know I'm busy.

This topic has come up many times, and Greenlight is not going to happen, Squad will release KSP on Steam proper in the future though.

KSP will also be available DRM free from the Store, just as it is currently :)

You know what? We really don't need this thread anymore, closing.