Tiny Minmus Sample Return

sevenperforce

Can you get a surface sample from Minmus, with a command pod, with a launch vehicle less than 10 tons, shorter than 6 meters, with less than 13 parts, and cheaper than 10,000 credits?

I daresay I can.

Done for this challenge:

I present: the Magnificent Micro Minmus Munchmobile! Weighing in at only...wait for it...5.815 tonnes!

screenshot1.png

No part clipping (although the ROUND-8 tanks place very closely, which helped). As you'll see, I didn't use any decouplers; this saved me weight, part count, cost, and height. I plan to use explosive decoupling to get rid of the booster, and hopefully I can blow off the tanks on a re-entry just steep enough to overheat them but not so steep that the pod can't survive.

All the ROUND-8 tanks, as well as the Mk0 LF tank, are full. I drained the command pod of monoprop, and I only filled the lower FL-T100 about half full of oxidizer to give myself a bit more LF right before the RAPIER loses its airbreathing thrust. Speaking of which, I disabled manual mode switching and programmed an action group to close the intake when I switch modes, to cut drag.

I toyed with drop tanks, but the part count, cost, and drag losses were prohibitive.

screenshot2.png

Lifting off! I'm monitoring a lot throughout the flight so I locked a bunch of the windows open. This takes a very specific pitch curve. It'll make orbit without trouble, thanks to plenty of thrust on the Spark, but making orbit with enough dV is the tricky bit.

screenshot3.png

I'm keeping an eye on the RAPIER's thrust as well as the lower fuel tank. It's set to drain after the Mk0 tank so I'll know when I'm almost out of LF.

This ascent was tough, because if I did the gravity turn early, I burned through all my LF waaaay too low in the atmosphere; if I did the gravity turn late, I would be going too fast to turn efficiently. I didn't want to throttle down, though. So I tipped my nose over early and then pitched up hard, so that once I needed to turn I could just drop from SAS-hold to prograde and take off.

screenshot4.png

Supersonic and rolling over. This places the differential drag from the intake on the top of the craft, helping me to keep my nose up during the early acceleration phase.

screenshot5.png

Starting to drain LF from the FL-T100, so I don't have much airbreathing time left.

screenshot6.png

As planned, excess LF is bingo just as the RAPIER thrust starts to drop precipitously.

screenshot7.png

Now, things start happening FAST.

screenshot9.png

I can tell I'm almost out of fuel on my booster. Explosive decoupling is always hairy...

screenshot10.png

And I'm starting to lose fuel in my top tank (see top left), so it's time to blow the fairing and ignite the Spark to decouple!

screenshot11.png

Bam. There goes the booster. Jenton looks appropriately horrified.

screenshot12.png

Thankfully, I've already got a good ascent. I tried doing this with the Ant, but the thrust just isn't enough, and the isp losses make it barely worthwhile anyway.

screenshot15.png

Not at full thrust...I don't want to push my Ap too high.

screenshot16.png

The numbers on that resource tab are awfully low!

screenshot17.png

It'll take about half a minute to circularize.

screenshot21.png

Almost there....

screenshot22.png

And I made orbit! With quite a bit of dV. Is it enough to go as far as I need to go? Well, we'll see.

screenshot23.png

To save propellant on the Minmus injection burn, I'm going to take a loop around the Mun. Gotta wait for it to line up, though. Ignore all the tracked objects on the left; this is my challenges save that I'm also using for the Orion Style challenge.

screenshot24.png

Setting up the slingshot.

screenshot25.png

And here's my slingshot into Minmus's SOI!

screenshot30.png

This burn is going to use almost all of my fuel.

screenshot32.png

And there you have it! Looks like I'll need to make a correction burn during the Mun swingby.

screenshot33.png

Set up the swingby.

screenshot34.png

Burning gingerly.

screenshot38.png

I'll take that!

screenshot39.png

Coming up on Minmus...

screenshot40.png

Uh oh. Did I really send an engineer on this mission? Crumbs. Oh well, gotta wing it.

screenshot42.png

Capture burn.

screenshot44.png

That'll do it!

So...it looks like I have enough fuel to get home, but not enough to make the landing on Minmus. What to do?

Well, I'll just lower my apoapsis to around 240 km...

screenshot45.png

...and hop out!

screenshot46.png

Just a tiny, miniscule RCS puff to lower my periapse below the Minmusian mountaintops.

screenshot47.png

Warping down. This will be touch-and-go.

screenshot49.png

Starting the RCS braking burn.

screenshot51.png

Still braking hard.

screenshot54.png

Timing has to be perfect. If I'm right, I think I can hit the surface with quite a bit of residual velocity and let friction bleed it off.

screenshot55.png

Not this much velocity, though.

screenshot58.png

Steady as she goes...

screenshot59.png

I think 20 m/s is just about the cutoff.

screenshot61.png

Ouch! But hey, I made it!

screenshot62.png

Nommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

screenshot63.png

No time to waste. Without the ability to set nodes (or even thrust prograde, really), I have to use the ship's velocity vector as my guide. Can't afford to wait for another orbit, either, because I'll be out of the path.

screenshot64.png

Set up the target.

screenshot65.png

Liftoff!

screenshot66.png

Burning up and forward.

screenshot69.png

I just wanna barely clear these mountains.

screenshot70.png

Aiming to have my Ap just reach the ship's Pe.

screenshot71.png

Really disorienting when I reach "orbit" and it switches targeting modes.

screenshot72.png

Closing as carefully as I can.

screenshot73.png

And there's my orbit! I didn't expect to get a rendezvous on my first go-round, but at least I got a nice coelliptic orbit.

screenshot74.png

Figuring out exactly how much of a burn I'll need to line up for an intercept. Fuel is going to be very, very close.

screenshot75.png

Made the burn...I have less than 1 unit of monoprop remaining for the rendezvous.

screenshot78.png

Matched speed!

screenshot80.png

Looks like a good intercept.

screenshot81.png

And here we go!

screenshot82.png

Of course, I managed to come in on the wrong side and had to swing around.

screenshot83.png

Aaaaaand I got the ladder! With 0.04 units of monoprop remaining.

screenshot84.png

You better believe I've got that surface sample added.

screenshot85.png

Burning at Pe would send me out of Kerbin's SOI, so I'm swinging around to Ap.

screenshot86.png

Escape reached! Will I have enough prop to lower my Pe into Kerbin's atmosphere?

screenshot87.png

Once-more-around and finding out.

screenshot89.png

If I have to, I can use a Mun assist to get back home.

screenshot91.png

Nah!

screenshot93.png

Here we go! No turning back now.

screenshot95.png

Here's where things get REALLY dicey. If I come in too hot, I'll burn up the engine, the tanks, AND the capsule. Too cool, and the tanks and engine will survive. Which will throw off my CoL/CoM balance and turn me into a lawn dart, making my chute useless.

screenshot99.png

Getting an overheat indicator; that's good.

screenshot101.png

Transferring fuel to my lowest tank in an attempt to keep my CoM forward.

screenshot102.png

Definitely past the point of no return now.

screenshot103.png

Overheat indicator dropping. I'm a little worried.

screenshot105.png

Going to burn retrograde to make my entry steeper.

screenshot106.png

That should be enough!

screenshot107.png

This'll be hotter.

screenshot108.png

Aaaand there's the tumble!

screenshot109.png

Perfect! The tumble ripped off the engine and tanks. How's that for cheap decoupling?

screenshot110.png

Capture complete. On my way home!

screenshot113.png

Made it through re-entry.

screenshot115.png

Down to chute-safe speed, so I'll waste no time.

screenshot116.png

Away goes the chute!

screenshot120.png

It's opened up fully now.

screenshot124.png

Aaaaand...

screenshot125.png

Splashdown!

screenshot126.png

We made it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.