Youtube videos still allowed?

matt3526

Hi all,

I want to make an educational video on orbits and host it on youtube. The map mode in KSP would be fantastic for this, but with the recent acquisition by Take 2, I was wondering if this is still allowed? Does anyone know? I couldn't find anything on it!

Thanks

As far as I know, it is ok to make youtube clips of any game footage whatsoever, why wouldnt it be? There is no law against people seeing you use some software you bought.

The problems only arise when you want to monetise them.

Take that with a pinch of salt though, Im no lawyer.

2 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

There is no law against people seeing you use some software you bought.

Actually, I think this is very much dependent on the copyright license used by the software providers. That said, I'm pretty sure the license regarding KSP hasn't changed its stance on youtube videos.

I am not a lawyer, but consider this:

"Copyright" is literally the right to copy. The question "are you making an unlawful copy of the KSP game when posting a video" should answer your question. The only case where you could run afoul is when the software you're running is displaying copyrighted content (like showing a movie).

Second, there's this widespread misconception that Take2 bought the game because the want to remove it from the surface of the earth. I'd love to hear the motivation of this thought. Why would Take2 buy a game to destroy it? So, assuming that Take2's intention is to actually make money from KSP (one must admit that this theory has certain merits), why would Take2 fight free publicity for the game? Case in point: Youtube videos about GTA and about any popular videogame. In fact, there's even streams and videos around dance games. If there's any game genry that would be shut down on youtube it's those, because of the music being played. And they exist, so...

Third, in 99% of the cases where "copyright" is being brought up, we're really talking about trademarking—an entirely different beast. But keep in mind that the keyword in trademark cases is confusion. For instance, yes, UPS does have the color brown trademarked. Can they stop you from using the color brown? Only if it's close to their brown, and even then only if you're using it for your courier service. There's no way "Bob's Boat Rental" could be confused with UPS, therefore UPS will have no case when Bob paints his boats brown. Take2 must fight you when your Youtube channel pretends to be them, but that's as far as it goes, I'm pretty sure. In all other cases there's no doubt your channel is yours, not theirs, and they have grounds nor reason to take it down.

The FAQ on the KSP website still says this is fine. 

I uploaded a gameplay video to Youtube. Is it okay for me to monetize it?

Yes, by all means. If you are having many views and want to seize the opportunity, go ahead. We just ask to be given credit, a mention and a link to our website is enough. You must also make it perfectly clear that we are the copyright holders of KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.