[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Aww. I was hoping for Meander. But never mind, I'm glad you've got them all sorted now. People'll stop clogging the thread with 'oh planet doozit should be called -cliché name-<cliché name="" here="">' posts.</cliché>

Edited by dragonfree97

The Spice Must Flow!

They're definitely names that I can enjoy. My predeliction towards puns makes me want to go with Ikean for the Ike adjective, but then I've been a longtime support of "minmal" as the minmus adjective.

I'd also advocate for Joolian for Jool, especially if its orbital period just happened to be 365.25 days... ;)

Moho is already enough of a pun on the planet's nature.

Nice job. Can't wait to visit all these exotic places and set up my trans-kerbolsystem empire. I aim to have a recons sats and a ready-for-anything rescue vehicle in orbit around every body and a permanent ground base on each body. :D

People'll stop clogging the thread with 'oh planet doozit should be called -cliché name-<cliché here="" name="">' posts.</cliché>

The blog post of names won't change anything, people will still suggest different names.

About the cockpit view, in the same way that a craft becomes uncontrollable when the crew is outside, will cockpit view be inaccessible?

I wish to ask to Devs, how will develop pressure/density indicator in 0.17 - actual one is quite primitive and are useful only for Kerbin :P. Pressure/Density scale could work for all planets and will help indicate "crush" pressure in gas giant.

Thanks for the names. Now I've been able to finish my graphic, which shows the 0.17 solar system, as I was stuck on the names:

kerbolsystem.jpg

The relative proportions are true where applicable (ie. the bodies where we have the radius of). The distances between planets are a guestimate based on screenshot. The rest is just artistic liberty.

Hope you like it.

Thanks for the names. Now I've been able to finish my graphic, which shows the 0.17 solar system, as I was stuck on the names:

kerbolsystem.jpg

The relative proportions are true where applicable (ie. the bodies where we have the radius of). The distances between planets are a guestimate based on screenshot. The rest is just artistic liberty.

Hope you like it.

Awesome job, can't wait to explore these :D

I would have preferred Charr to Moho though, sounds more badass.

I assume it refers to 'MohoroviÄÂić discontinuity', how's that less badass than burnt wood? Besides, in Total Annihilation, the Moho Mine is the better version of the Metal Extractor. :)

Gilly should be smaller. Nova said it had a 26km radius i think. Comparing that to minmus of 120km

Much smaller and it'll be mistaken for a period after the name.

Edited by erkle64
typo

the water moon must have an atmosphere, otherwise it would be a ice-moon

what if its like Io (or possibly Europa) where its parent planet's immense gravitational force along with that of nearby moons churns the inside and heats it up?

Edited by spikeyhat09

It would still need an atmosphere to have liquid water at the surface. Otherwise it would be an covered in ice(with an ocean underneath).

Technically true, but it's also the case that if Minmus' lakes were actually frozen methane, that should be sublimating at Kerbin's distance from Kerbol, right?

I think the devs are concentrating more on making the Kerbal System fun more than worrying about simulating chemical state transitions accurately. Different things break different people's sense of mimesis; I'm sure there's someone out there still muttering to themselves about Kerbin's impossible density and insisting that the game makes no sense on that basis.

As far as I'm concerned, the devs can do as they please. They seem to be making good decisions so far.

Technically true, but it's also the case that if Minmus' lakes were actually frozen methane, that should be sublimating at Kerbin's distance from Kerbol, right?

I think the devs are concentrating more on making the Kerbal System fun more than worrying about simulating chemical state transitions accurately. Different things break different people's sense of mimesis; I'm sure there's someone out there still muttering to themselves about Kerbin's impossible density and insisting that the game makes no sense on that basis.

As far as I'm concerned, the devs can do as they please. They seem to be making good decisions so far.

True, for all I know(or care) it could be an ocean of some blue metal with a very low melting point. That said, I hope Laythe does have an atmosphere, that way i can use parachutes to help land on it.

what if its like Io (or possibly Europa) where its parent planet's immense gravitational force along with that of nearby moons churns the inside and heats it up?

Ding ding! Although, it does have an atmosphere thicker than Kerbin's, the tidal forces are my explanation as to why it's kept liquid.