[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Well, they were named in the series of greek/roman gods just so they'd match with the other planets.

Just to throw in a monkey wrench into the discussion, the new planets were named after Greco-Roman gods eventually -- but when the first planets were discovered that couldn't be seen with the naked eye, there was actually some discussion about nomenclature. When Herschel discovered Uranus in the eighteenth century, a lot of people wanted to name the new body "Herschel". Herschel himself wanted to name it "Georgium Sidus" (George's Star), after the patron (England's King George III) that gave him the money to build his telescope in the first place.

Maybe the debates went a different way on Kerbin. Or maybe they were better at keeping track of people who first identified naked-eye planets than humans were, immortalizing them in song: "... and wonderful, smart, handsome Bobfern Kerbin / Who discovered Meander and made really swell blueberry pancakes." (It rhymes in Kerbish.) ;)

Edited by Nikolai
Misspelled "Georgium".

kars

Nova screams in anger

God I agree with him. It's such a lazy, boring and stupid way to name ALL the objects. For Kerbol and Kerbin, it's fine (and could even make sense if "Ker" has huge significance with the Kerbals as it most probably does and these two objects are most likely the most significant to them), but for other objects it just reeks of unimaginativity (is that even a word?)

Remember to stay on topic guys, the new planets are still under development, probably because Nova is too busy making a big list of suggested names not to use :)

I am sure by now any possible name beginning with K has been put on that list.

Any News about what tipe of tech we will get for interplanetary travel?

- Improved Chemical Rockets?

- Nuclear based..

- Ion based?

- Sails?

there are interesting plugins on the addon releases that add nuclear rockets, ion drives and even a hyperspace engine, but no solar sails yet, i cannot see how that could be implemented

there are interesting plugins on the addon releases that add nuclear rockets, ion drives and even a hyperspace engine, but no solar sails yet, i cannot see how that could be implemented

Now that i think of it(google for 2hrs) my bets are on Solar thermal rockets and/or Arcjet rockets..

Seam most fitting.. :P Fusion rockets, perhaps the next step in the tech tree..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_engine

And I can't help but answer that no one know, not even HarvesteR, as they won't release it until they are happy with it, I will also add this little tidbit from the Rules:

Rules Addendum: 16MAY2012 "Release Date"

Creating posts or threads that contain nothing but 'When is the next release coming?' is prohibited.

So please, no more asking or guessing about the release date, or posts might have to be deleted or threads closed, and this thread was doing so well up till now.

Well if they are still sticking to their previous plans, their four week development cycle (assuming it started when the 0.17 update thread was posted) ends in three days, which would then be likely followed by a few weeks of testing.

I can't find the thread where they announced their dev cycle shift, for some reason, but it was posted in between 0.15 and 0.16.

Regardless, quite excited for this one--Specifically other planets with atmosphere--More complicated lander/ascent stages will add another whole layer of complexity. Whooboy.

Edited by Xike
Grammar edits.

Xike, the four week cycle was scrapped as it was unworkable, Squad are now on a "It's ready when it's ready" cycle.

This thread is now going off topic, I will remind you again, the topic is the KSP 0.17 Update, not the release date, which is a rules violation if it is all a post or thread contains :)

Creating posts or threads that contain nothing but 'When is the next release coming?' is prohibited.

Xike, the four week cycle was scrapped as it was unworkable, Squad are now on a "It's ready when it's ready" cycle.

This thread is now going off topic, I will remind you again, the topic is the KSP 0.17 Update, not the release date, which is a rules violation if it is all a post or thread contains :)

I'm pretty sure that my post had more than just speculation on the release date, but I wasn't aware of the switch back. I apologize, in that case.

I wonder, though, if it would be possible to land and return from an atmospheric planet with a 1-man capsule/1m rocket, or at the very least with a relatively small rocket. I hate big clunky ones that are slow to respond, and relying on RCS would just add weight... We'll have to see. Anyone have any interesting designs planned?

Edited by Xike

Anyone have any interesting designs planned?

There have been several challenges, in fact there is one going on right now.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/18281-The-planetary-lander-delivery-challenge

The main limitation I've run into was the number of parts and size. To do it we'd really need to have larger parts, like a 6pack of 3m engines and tanks merged into one or two units like the ones in the mod packs.

Right now it is at least possible to make a craft that can launch, orbit, land, launch again, orbit, and land on kerbin. But moving it to another SOI requires too much mass...

I'm pretty sure that my post had more than just speculation on the release date, but I wasn't aware of the switch back. I apologize, in that case.

I wonder, though, if it would be possible to land and return from an atmospheric planet with a 1-man capsule/1m rocket, or at the very least with a relatively small rocket. I hate big clunky ones that are slow to respond, and relying on RCS would just add weight... We'll have to see. Anyone have any interesting designs planned?

The desert planet should be do able, I have ideas that can get a crew there and back

As to Eve, thats gonna be a tricky one.. my first landers there will likely be no returners most likely

My desert planet name suggestions:

Desselus

Dest

Udesta

Rendes

Nandeska?

Bandela

Tuska

Alak

Dejave

I may or may not have written a program to make phonetic hybrids of Ikea furniture and towns in Arizona.... :P

To number 5: what? What is it? Hehe ;)

As far as getting to another planet? No idea. Can't even play the game, out of country. I may have to do away with my "150 tons or less" mantra. I don't see how just three standard stages could transfer me to the outer reaches of the solar system.

Edited by SkyHook

I've been playing around with different solutions, and I've come to the realization that the best ship design to reach a foreign planet, land, dance around a little, lift off and come back to Kerbin is not a single ship, but two.

First ship:

- Get there.

- Land.

- Lift off to orbit.

- Rendez-vous with the second ship.

Second ship:

- Get there.

- Some orbital manoeuvrings for rendez-vous and what not.

- Get back to Kerbin.

That way, you reduce the load of every ship in half, and you can reach and land on even the most distant planet.

I've been playing around with different solutions, and I've come to the realization that the best ship design to reach a foreign planet, land, dance around a little, lift off and come back to Kerbin is not a single ship, but two.

First ship:

- Get there.

- Land.

- Lift off to orbit.

- Rendez-vous with the second ship.

Second ship:

- Get there.

- Some orbital manoeuvrings for rendez-vous and what not.

- Get back to Kerbin.

That way, you reduce the load of every ship in half, and you can reach and land on even the most distant planet.

It might be better to have both get into orbit around a small moon, since then it's much easier to rendezvous.

Distant inteplanetary missions will need proper docking and rendezvous steps to avoid really ridiculous rocket designs.

Most of the interesting space missions involved docking. I'm looking forward to seeing it implemented.