Which joystick should I get?

SexyGinger

I use a PS3-type of gamepad rather than a stick. Put pitch/yaw on one stick, roll/fore-aft translation on the other. Up-down/left-right translation goes on the D-pad and engines on R1 and R2.

I've found this setup to be the most intuitive for rockets and acceptable for aircraft. The alternative is to use a stick or yoke/pedals for rotation and a second one for translation with the other hand.

35 minutes ago, FlyingPete said:

I use a PS3-type of gamepad rather than a stick. Put pitch/yaw on one stick, roll/fore-aft translation on the other. Up-down/left-right translation goes on the D-pad and engines on R1 and R2.

I've found this setup to be the most intuitive for rockets and acceptable for aircraft. The alternative is to use a stick or yoke/pedals for rotation and a second one for translation with the other hand.

Bonus to this control setup is that you can configure R2/L2 (if Unity will register them as an axis; otherwise setting them as buttons is an alternative, or you can use that joystick setting mod) for the wheel throttle axis, giving you independent rover throttle control not dependent on the pitch or throttle axis.

Edited by B-STRK

13 minutes ago, B-STRK said:

Bonus to this control setup is that you can configure R2/L2 (if Unity will register them as an axis; otherwise setting them as buttons is an alternative, or you can use that joystick setting mod) for the wheel throttle axis, giving you independent rover throttle control not dependent on the pitch or throttle axis.

I tend to assign rover wheel throttle/steering to the d-pad. You can just turn off RCS if the particular vejicle has it to avoid conflicts.

17 hours ago, SGamer11 said:

Use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, its what I use, and it rocks!

This is a solid choice for a first-timer's joystick. It's easy to find. It has a small desktop footprint. It has a twist-handle for the yaw axis, and a built in throttle axis. It has just enough buttons to be usefully and creatively configured to taste. And last but most certainly not least, it's relatively inexpensive. By the time you use it enough to wear it out and start looking at upgrading, you'll have developed your own opinions about what kind of hardware to buy next.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.