[0.16 PLUGIN] Hyperjump System: Jumps and Hyperspace Networks, v0.2

TheRoland

Tired of silly reaction rockets? Want to explore new worlds with a minimum of fuel? Ion engines and solar sails too slow for your taste? Thanks to the latest advances in Kerbal science fiction, now there's an alternative. Almost!

Based largely on code developed by Zorkinian for his excellent Orbital Construction plugin, this mod removes resource management and adds a sci-fi twist.

I'm still working on improvements. See the "Work In Progress" thread for more information. As of Version 0.2, it is now fit for human consumption!

This plugin gives you two new parts:

1. Hyperjump Drive: This drive, which operates on the scientific principle of “magicâ€Â, has two wondrous functions.

First, this drive can jump locally up to 75km to any other vessel which mounts a Hyperspace Endpoint (distance subject to change).

Second, if you're already near an Endpoint, it allows you to “tunnel†to any other endpoint, no matter how far away!

2. Hyperspace Endpoints: When placed on a vessel, this gives allows future travelers to “target†your vessel. As described above, it also allows any nearby Drives to “tunnel†to any other endpoint.

Vessels can have both a Hyperjump Drive and an Endpoint, but a vessel can't use its own Endpoint to do long-range “tunnel†jumps, because I say so. Clearly, magic doesn't work that way.

A typical use-case would be to put an Endpoint in Kerbal orbit, an Endpoint in Munar orbit, and jump ships from one to the other, allowing transfer with minimum use of reaction drives.

There's not much to see, but here's a picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31164[/ATTACH]

Be warned, since this is held together with Kerbal-glue and duct-tape, you're likely to explode occasionally.

WARNING: Very, very broken in 0.17. Investigating.

0.17 Version: Untested! Download at:

https://github.com/downloads/TheRoland/HyperjumpSystem/HyperJumpSystem0.3.zip

Edited by TheRoland

First of, I absolutely love this mod and it is coming in very useful for me.

But I have a question... How do I disable that god awful blue cloud effect? It's annoying to see coming from my ships and it is slowing down my frame rate. Trust me, with the stuff I build every last frame counts.

Just a question , if I were to land ship A carrying an endpoint near my launchpad , and launch ship B carrying the drive , after ship B gets off the ground can it use ship A's endpoint to do a tunnel jump?

Is there anyway of making this go further than 75km? This would be awesome to use to jump to other planets once they're implemented but with a 75km jump ability it's not so useful, good for rendezvousing with close objects but with no docking it's not very useful.

the 75 km limit is only in relation to "jumping" to the endpoint. if you place an endpoint in low kerbin orbit, and another one in Munar orbit, you can get within 75km of the kerbit orbit one, "jump" near this, then you can "tunnel" your way to the 2nd endpoint in Munar orbit.

I am curious if it is possible to alter the 75km jump limit, or 15km tunnelling limit?

I just used my low kerbin orbit (75km) "Jumpgate" and my 100km Munar "Jumpgate" to send a 3 kerbal crewed capsule that consisted of the capsule with 6 side mounted engines on a short 2m tank. with a jump engine and mechjeb on top, also have ladders to get out of pod.

i timed my launch until the jumpgate was 100 km away then launched, once the distance was around 78 km i cut my rocket engines and coasted until the jump engine button came on, then activated it to jump to the kerbin jumpgate. from there i targeted the munar jumpgate and tunneled to it, then i set my mechjeb to auto land, and within just a few minutes i had a team of kerbals on the mun ready to explore.

that being said i do sort feel like this is cheating, mods are great fun and im glad this is available, but I am looking forward to the day this really becomes a game with actual objectives instead of just beign a very very very cool simulator.

Edited by andrew8098

Just a question , if I were to land ship A carrying an endpoint near my launchpad , and launch ship B carrying the drive , after ship B gets off the ground can it use ship A's endpoint to do a tunnel jump?

i am going to test this now.

I seem to be having an issue with the ship containing the endpoint in Kerbin orbit. It's ok if I jump a ship to it, but when I use it as an endpoint for an outbound tunnel, chunks of the ship tend to disappear. I've even tried backing off a half a klick, and still parts go missing from my orbiting endpoint.

Hi Fellas,

I tried this out last week. Initially very good. I put an endpoint around kerbin, mun, minmus and kerbol adn could jump back and forth with ease. After some game time had passed and a few reloads later. It seemed that the ship around minmus and mun forgot they were orbiting and switched to a massive orbit around kerbol so over time, they drifted away from the object and ended up on a huge orbit round the sun.

Any ideas? Was great at first but as I say, after a few reloads its like just forgot!

EDIT: to add more info, I use mechjeb to pilot the craft and have a number of the extendable solar panels on board which generate electricity. Could either of these be causing an issue?

Edited by prefim

I've had an endpoint go "walking" from Minimus orbit back to Kerbin, but have been unable to reproduce.

I've been away from the forum for a while, but should have a new, small, update tonight with mostly GUI improvments.