[0.16 PLUGIN] Hyperjump System: Jumps and Hyperspace Networks, v0.2

TheRoland

Tried this mod out and it is awesome! I've put tunnels in Mun and Minmus orbit and i plan to have one at the sun soon. I will use this for 0.17 once i have actually gotten to a planet without using this first. (then again I will have to get there first anyway) But keep it up! I'm surprised no one has made a Stargate mod yet as they seem to be very popular on mod-able games where they can be applied.

looking forward to the update theroland. would be nice to set some variables for where (based on the actual endpoint module location) you reappear. This would allow circular vehicles where you reappear through the middle (ala stargate) and mass effect relay stations etc. Hoping the wandering endpoint bug (if indeed it is a bug) is squashed as a permanent network of these will be just the thing for 0.17

I think I found another bug.

When you change from a ship with a jumpdrive to another one not equipped with it, the jump interface does not disappear.

Also, shortly after doing my first test jumps i used the tracking station to change to another ship and the game crashed making a fatal error. (I hope this is not caused by the mod)

This mod is amazing. It is really useful to transfer big stations and buildings from kerbin to orbit or the Moon, especially because we don't have orbital assembly.

Keep up the good work :D

Did someone say STARGATE!?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33033[/ATTACH]

And a download for all those who think that this is something they would like, or not. Sadly immobile, so YOU get to mobilize this thing. Needs NovaPunch Remix and Damned Robotics For the body and moving parts, so grab those first. Download is the last word in this sentence, and it's name is [ATTACH]33034[/ATTACH].

So is there any chance for hyperjump technology to work in 0.17? ... or did Harv intentionally redesign the Kerbalverse to eliminate the ability to travel FTL?

Yeah, it seems when I try to use it my ship breaks apart when it arrives at the endpoint

So, here's a Progress update:

I spent several hours yesterday experimenting and looking for a fix to the tragic explosion 'issue'. It seems like ships are coming apart due to huge acceleration, that going onto and off of rails is no longer preventing. While I have not yet verified this, I suspect the physics change this version which killed off the space-kraken may have also killed this version of teleporting.

There are a few things I'm going to try; from doing a larger, more inaccurate, but possibly less violent jump to eliminating jumps in favor of moving more slowly (warp drive instead of teleport). Possibly there's simply new functions that need to be used to prevent physics.

Either way, it's going to be a little while before I know what will work here; then longer to rewrite. I really wants this to work on .17 but do far, I don't even know where I'm going, much less how to get there.

I'll keep my eyes open, and will try to keep posting progress.... Even if it's "still no idea!"

Edited by TheRoland

I second that. glad to hear you are still onboard roland. Hoping a fix or alternative approach presents itself soon for you (and us all!). You might want to take a look at the 'teleport to target' feature on the ORDA docking mod. this seems to be pretty good at jumping (at least ground to orbital distances). I no bugger all about coding mods but I'm wondering if there is literally a 'move object to position' type command. I remember hearing of people moving the mun in early versions but it sort of makes sense to me to calculate the position of our target and move our ship to target (including some sort of offset so you don't appear inside it!)

You might want to take a look at the 'teleport to target' feature on the ORDA docking mod. this seems to be pretty good at jumping (at least ground to orbital distances).

I've actually been looking at this this morning, because it uses the same teleporting method, but is somewhat cleaner code.

Unfortunately, it also results in explosions for me.

Progress Update:

I've put in a few hours today, and made some progress! The problem seems to be in large teleports. "But wait!" you say, "I'm only trying to teleport to the Mun/into orbit/down the street/. But if you're trying to teleport at low altitude, all of our sequences will give you a "kick" into deep space so you don't impact anything you shouldn't. So even if you're trying to get 60km, the teleporter will kick you a few hundred K into space, first. This doesn't work in 0.17.

"So just do a few small jumps!" is what you're thinking. Only that doesn't work, either. Going on and off rails quickly seems to cause just as much trouble as making the whole jump all at once.

So here's what I'm going to do:

1. Reduce or eliminate the "kick" into deep space. You may have to worry more about things in your way, or air pressure or.... but at least you won't explode.

2. Figure out the rest of the jumps and if they make you explode or not.

Right now, I have a prototype that will get very complicated ships into space... but into orbit and into the proper place are still pending.

I have about another hour to work on this today, am not going to finish. But I have way more information than I did before.

EDIT: BUT WAIT, WHAT'S THIS?

https://github.com/downloads/TheRoland/HyperjumpSystem/HyperJumpSystem0.3.zip

Totally untested.... but I can get into orbit with it. Can you jump from planet to planet now? I have no idea. But a fiery death is no longer sure...

Edit2:Jumping to Duna = Boom!

Edited by TheRoland