SM3 Missile

domox

I got an idea - but it requires MechJeb.

I remember that mechjeb works on all parts it's connected to even when disconnected from the main module.... so you launch the rocket , and when it runs out of fuel , you can autostage the whole rocket and turn it into a volley of debris.

IIRC, MechJeb's launch autopilot already has the "time launch to rendezvous" option, and that can reliably put you within 100m of your target if it is in a circular orbit of 0deg inclination, only issue is that you need a liquid fueled engine for the final stage (the one that sets the orbital Ap and circularizes the orbit) because MechJeb doesn't have the code to do the real SM3's little "spiral" it does at launch to basically waste just enough fuel so it burns out at *just* the right time to put the KE warhead on the right target

Hey there everyone. I ran out of steam working on this. I just don't have the c# chops to write a good guidance plugin, or the math chops to port the algorithms I have to c#. One of the reasons I wanted to do this correctly instead of just through mechjeb rendezvous is that for the collision to obliterate the target, you have to have a massive difference in relative speed. If anyone wants to team up to get this bad boy operational I'm game. Until then I could release the models and such but the project just doesn't have the same luster without the promise of accurate behavior.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.