Horizon Aeronautics - Development Thread

stubbles

So we can't set an explicit location for it to explode from? Just the basic attach node locations? That's unfortunate. :(

A wild idea appears!

What if the attach node for the fairings and the RD-58m base were actually up in the air similar to KW Rocketry fairings? Then, you could set the attach node as the explosion point and it will explode from the top as you wanted right? :cool:

So we can't set an explicit location for it to explode from? Just the basic attach node locations? That's unfortunate. :(

Well, you certainly CAN'T set an explicit location for it to explode from but you CAN set an explicit location for the node_stack_bottom/top and just add node_stack_attach to the other, that way you can add the explosive node anywhere the node_stack_bottom/top is.

Cheers.

Edit: I think we had the same idea. lol 3 minutes late!

Edited by blackheart612

Yeah I don't know, I guess I'm just stupid or something, heh. I can't get this working at all.

Here's the config:

PART
{
// GENERAL PARAMETERS
name = HA3SLPayloadFairing
module = Part
author = stubbles

// ASSET PARAMETERS
mesh = model.mu

// NODE DEFINITIONS
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_top = 1.22, 3.9, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

// FX DEFINITIONS
fx_gasBurst_white = 1.22, 3.9, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, activate
sound_vent_small = activate

// EDITOR PARAMETERS
cost = 75
category = Aero
subcategory = 0
title = 2m Payload Fairing
manufacturer = Horizon Aeronautics
description = Pop the top and let it rock. Attaches to 3SL stage 3 fuel tank

// ATTACHMENT RULES: STACK, SrfATTACH, ALLOW STACK, ALLOW SrfATTACH, ALLOW COLLISION
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
stackSymmetry = 1

// PART PARAMETERS
mass = 0.25
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.05
minimum_drag = 0.05
angularDrag = 0.25
crashTolerance = 30
maxTemp = 3200
stageOffset = 1
childStageOffset = 1

stagingIcon = DECOUPLER_HOR

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnchoredDecoupler
anchorName =
ejectionForce = 250
explosiveNodeID = top
}

}

This is what it looks like in the VAB:

horizon59.jpg

When I try to stage it, the smoke puff goes off and it does absolutely nothing. It just sits there on top of the damn stage. >_<

Yes, because you're decoupling the top node, but it's attached by the bottom one. :) You also need to move your payload base nodes.

Yeah, if you move the RD-58m's nodes up to the towards the top of the fairings and get the fairings to connect to those then it should work :cool:

I think you might need to use ModuleDecouple instead of ModuleAnchoredDecoupler

I think ModuleAnchoredDecoupler is looking for a model part (the anchor) which remains behind when the decoupler is fired, and since the fairing model doesn't have this, the whole thing is remaining attached

I'm going to bash out a couple of rapid test parts and see if I can confirm though

Module decoupler DOES work now, at least. But the fairings fire upwards and then out - how can I get them to fire to the side? Since these are based on an attach now, can I not orient the blast direction?

I may have discovered something. Look at the config file for the KW rocketry fairing:

MODULE
{
anchorName = anchor
ejectionForce = -300
explosiveNodeID = bottom
}

Notice two values in particular: Ejection force (which is negative) and explosive nodeID.

Ejection force seems to be a way for you to determine both force AND direction.

explosive nodeID may be a way to determine ejection force origin. Try that.

ok, so I think I might have it (although, gird your eyes, ugly proto-parts)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

MODULE
{
ejectionForce = 45
explosiveNodeID = bottom
}

just dropping the "anchorName =" out made it work (ModuleDecoupler just shot them straight up, couldn't work out how to change that). No transforms in Unity or anything like that, it works solely off the node_stack_xxx arguments in the .cfg, so the [ explosiveNodeID = bottom] points explicitly to the [node_stack_bottom]

Edited by NoMrBond

Phew glad you got that one sorted out :o

Likewise! Hah. I got feedback yesterday, made tons of changes and sent out new builds to the testers. Waiting on the next round of feedback now. Hopefully it's just small stuff that I can fix quickly and get an initial release out today.

Today? I guess it's earlier for you then, almost 10 O' clock now (normally would stay up late, but got school tomorrow :confused: such is the way of life :D)

Well good luck with your initial release, it looks awesome, probably get it tomorrow when I get back!

I guess it's earlier for you then

Yeah I'm west coast, USA. It's only 2:45pm (14:45 to you) right now. Still waiting on some more feedback, doing some final testing and config tuning!

horizon60.JPG

On another note, does anyone know WHY on earth a saved ship does not update when you update a config or mesh? Like I have a 3SL vehicle saved out for loading, but if I change say, a fuel level in a tank, it doesn't update the saved ship. That's ludicrous. I have to rebuild the entire vessel every time I change something :|

Edited by stubbles

Getting ready to release here in about 30min. I want to thank NoMrBond, SkyHook and SippyFrog for donating their time help playtest the parts before release. With their help, we identified a number of issues and mod compatibility problems. Here's a shot in the meantime. Ignore the crappy looking payload, it was a test for top-heavy/uneven loads, to see if FAR misbehaved (it didn't :D).

horizon63.jpg

Best flames, ever.

You're an artist plus than a modder.

And you are an amazing modder. So please, extend your hands... I have a nice-pink-happy chainshaw over here for ppl like you... :D

Btw... that emissive glow... so sexy...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.