How Construct perfect munar rocket

I built the Saturn V rocket on the basis that she could send a three persons capsule, which reached orbit around Mun, but unfortunately was unable to carry the lander.

I built another rocket this time based on default Kerbal parts , it turned out even worse.

I'm so desperate.

Can anyone advise me how to perfect munar rocket, one friend advise me to send a one-man capsule, and build a smaller rocket, but then the bigger the better.

Just see the Saturn V or N1 :-)

I attached my project

I tried the Mun Express2C. I think there were some parts missing because I don't have those mods, but I reviewed it anyway:

Your fuel distribution destabilizes the rocket, because some sides empty first than the others. And then, some engines in one side stopped functioning because their fuel tanks ran dry, and I crashed. I corrected the fuel lines, so all were pointing to the middle large tank, but then I hit another problem: the thrust of this middle stage isn't enough to lift the rest of the craft, so you simply wastes a lot of fuel there.

The second stage is too big, and you have chosen a very inefficient rocket engine for it (low specific impulse). Also, the tail fins only create drag, they are probably superfluous. Even then, it could propel me close to orbital speed. Using the last stage to make an low orbit to wait for the moon, and then shot for it, should work, even with your current design (with the fuel flow fixed).

Take a look at wildkittyv1's tutorial: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/16752-Operation-KISS-A-pictorial-guide-on-fuel-consumption-and-not-making-massive-rockets

And I have made a munar rocket too (the Falcon Heavy one): http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/16963-0-16-stock-Falcon-9-%28satelite-launcher%29-and-Falcon-Heavy-%28Minmus-Moon-trip%29

PS: Good to see you here Scott! I learned a lot from your videos.

I have a video series on developing my Mun rocket, but this is the final design.

I built a rocket based on your design, is much better than mine but like in my rocket, the main engine off far too early.

I attach a file to the project

So I downloaded this to take a quick look. Your lower fuel lines are reversed. They are running from the center tank to the external tank. You instead want to attach them to the external tanks first and then connect them to the center tank so it runs inwards.

Edit: Also, the same problem exists on your lander, the fuel lines are backwards. I would test the parachute before I went all the way to the Mun and back, I doubt it will hold on like that. It's likely to rip right off when it opens fully.

Edited by Ziff

Build it based on Delta-V calculations. It's easy to make a Mun Rocket if you know how much Delta-V you have and how much you need. Mun Rockets can be a lot smaller than you'd think. I have three qualified ones -- 100% stock.

Using delta-v calculations is important, but it is important to remember that it needs to be able to make orbit. All that delta-v will go to waste if it can't use it fast enough.

Using delta-v calculations is important, but it is important to remember that it needs to be able to make orbit. All that delta-v will go to waste if it can't use it fast enough.

TWR is also calculated when designing the rocket.