Improving Science

Hi all,

I landed on the Mun, I created my space Station and I already docked several time on it to transfer crew. So I am more or less at the same point than humanity :)

But, I feel like my R&D doesn't progress fast enough. I am still stuck on the 90points research level, which is quite low for what I accomplished. To go further, and improve my ships, I need to unlock some science. I would like to do it without cheating. But all contracts I get have few or no science points. 

Do you know how I can do it? 

I always wonder what the interest to have some scientist and engineer in the crew. Can it helps me? How should I use them?

Thanks for answers

42 minutes ago, Philae & Rosetta said:

Hi all,

I landed on the Mun, I created my space Station and I already docked several time on it to transfer crew. So I am more or less at the same point than humanity :)

But, I feel like my R&D doesn't progress fast enough. I am still stuck on the 90points research level, which is quite low for what I accomplished. To go further, and improve my ships, I need to unlock some science. I would like to do it without cheating. But all contracts I get have few or no science points. 

Do you know how I can do it? 

I always wonder what the interest to have some scientist and engineer in the crew. Can it helps me? How should I use them?

Thanks for answers

You generally don't get science points from doing contracts, but rather from running science experiments in unique situations/biomes. https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science

So go to the science parts section of the VAB, slap one of every science experiment you have on a ship (https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Environmental_sensor), go to the Mun and run all those experiments, then bring the results back to Kerbin. You'll get literally hundreds of science points. You can continue to do this repeatedly as well; there are several "biomes" on the Mun to get science from. You can also get unique results while orbiting and such as well. Crew can generate points as well by doing crew reports, EVA reports, and surface samples.

Scientists increase science point rewards by a small percentage as well as being capable of manning science laboratories. Engineers can fix some broken parts like wheels, and can re pack parachutes; they also increase the efficiency of mining equipment. For basic and/or early game missions you'll be fine with just a Pilot. The Scientists/Engineer is a mid-late game thing really imo.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

I had to read @Rocket In My Pocket's post three times to check that he didn't say it, but...

Scientists are (imho) by far the most important crew members because they can reset the goo cannister and materials bay ('science Jr.'); that means that your lander can land in several biomes (check the wiki for the biomes map, and land where three biomes meet so you can do short hops to get all of them) and the scientist can reset the experiments each time.

You need a decent probe core if you're sending a scientist, but by the 90-point level you have the HECS which is good enough for everything for Kerbin and its moons. I personally hardly use anything but the HECS until I get the "space ship" 1.25m probe core, then I hardly use anything else...

And then you really need to get everything at Minmus done. It's actually a lot easier, but it gives much better science rewards (though with fewer biomes).

With just the Mun and Minmus, you should get most of the science tree done. If you put a 2-man science module crewed with 2-star scientists in orbit around both the Mun and Minmus, fill them with science and get them researching, you should complete (or nearly complete) the science tree at about the time your first transfer window for Duna comes up.

Edited by Plusck

56 minutes ago, Plusck said:

I had to read @Rocket In My Pocket's post three times to check that he didn't say it, but...

Scientists are (imho) by far the most important crew members because they can reset the goo cannister and materials bay ('science Jr.'); that means that your lander can land in several biomes (check the wiki for the biomes map, and land where three biomes meet so you can do short hops to get all of them) and the scientist can reset the experiments each time.

I didn't say it because I don't feel it's needed. There is so much more science than required in the game as it is. It's certainly a valid strategy for experienced players who want to max the tech tree as quick as possible though.

There is such a thing as getting "too much science" at once; especially for a new player.

It ruins the "flow" of the game. Maybe that's just me though. No accounting for taste as they say.

17 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

The Scientists/Engineer is a mid-late game thing really imo.

I have to disagree at this point.

A lander with a probe and sciencist on Mun or Minmus with a science container dramaticaly increases your science output. Pilots can only bring the reusable ones but sciencist bring a communicated one and a stored copy back. For the most not reusable ones  you need 2 copys all allong for maximum gain. And you can slap 2 Mark1 commandpods for a 2kerb mission to get most out. Gather science send to Kerbin, reset with sciencist gather again store in Pilot CommandPod.and to be sure get a third set and Store in second CommandPod.

It is a little annoying but this way 3-4k science "Raids" are nothing spezial. It works at KSC too. As i have spezial "Grazer" Vehicle for home biom grazing.

And as ScienceLab becomes available it becomes more easy as you can reset all experiments from inside of the Lab.

Engineers are more mid/end game that is true.

2 hours ago, Urses said:

I have to disagree at this point.

A lander with a probe and sciencist on Mun or Minmus with a science container dramaticaly increases your science output. Pilots can only bring the reusable ones but sciencist bring a communicated one and a stored copy back. For the most not reusable ones  you need 2 copys all allong for maximum gain. And you can slap 2 Mark1 commandpods for a 2kerb mission to get most out. Gather science send to Kerbin, reset with sciencist gather again store in Pilot CommandPod.and to be sure get a third set and Store in second CommandPod.

It is a little annoying but this way 3-4k science "Raids" are nothing spezial. It works at KSC too. As i have spezial "Grazer" Vehicle for home biom grazing.

And as ScienceLab becomes available it becomes more easy as you can reset all experiments from inside of the Lab.

Engineers are more mid/end game that is true.

I take it you didn't read my response to @Plusck?

There is a ridiculous amount of science available, more than you would ever need. This sort of "min/maxing" play-style isn't needed or recommended. Maybe it's OK for an experienced player who is starting a new campaign and wants to max the tech tree as quickly as possible. For a new player, it's just going to ruin the flow of the game. There is such a thing as getting "too much" science at once.

It's the journey that's fun; not the destination.

19 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

It's the journey that's fun; not the destination.

Sorry did seen to late, but his question was, he get to low science and to slow. And it is not realy only usable on get fast through Techtree as fast as possible. I use this workround mostly on playthroughs with sliders on 5-10% outcome on science, funds and rep. There you have to grind and get as much as possible from every mission. And as new player it will be more interesting to try the science mode to see how to grind scince with one problem less as in campaign.

But my appologies. Didn't mean this as a offense.

Funny Kabooms

Urses

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.