how to create a rocket that won't fall apart?

Hi everyone!

I've been experimenting with the game in the last few days, and I can do some basic things like get into orbit, go to the Mun - though I couldn't land yet - but my problem is that most of my rockets - even the very simple ones - tend to break apart before leaving the atmosphere. Mostly there are problems between decouplers and liquid fuel tanks, but not always.

What am I doing wrong here?

Instead of using the large decouplers, I use the small ones and add 4 struts between the parts it connects. This gives it much more strength and is half the weight of a large decoupler.

I have not had a problem since doing this.

Hi Szkeptik, welcome to the community :)

The new large decoupler especially seems a little fragile in this update, and adding struts will only go so far.

I recommend you keep an eye on your G force gauge as you ascend to higher altitudes, especially after you have tilted over and are building horizontal velocity, our rockets are more sensitive to G forces now and you will need to throttle back, especially with the new large engine when in orbit.

If you keep the needle in the green you'll be okay.

The large decouplers that were added in .16 were not beefed up accordingly. The best work around is to just modify the part.cfg file for the large decoupler and increase its strength from 22 to something like 120-175. This is a temporary fix until .17 is released.

One word:

Struts.

I may be a little, say, \'overly dramatic\' with them, but if there\'s something that falls off, wobbles extremely, or, in a catastrophic failures are the cause of it, attack it with struts. That's my advise. Just, don't overdo it, 4 is enough.

Also, symmetry helps a lot, too. There's a circle with a yellow dot in it on the top left hand corner of the VAB scene, to the right of tehe part menus. Left click to increase the amount of radial objects added, right click to decrease. Use symmetry with struts, too. It helps.

Like others have mentioned, the answer here is Struts. Another side of it however is how it is being flown, since that impacts the Max G and Max Q.

I highly recommend using the MechJeb mod to do an ascent for you first. If only to get an understanding of the optimal ascent profile for a given rocket. For example, if there is ample thrust-to-weight on first stage, MechJeb will throttle down to reduce wasting fuel on drag (although you will get more gravity loss, it will be less than drag loss at full throttle). This efficiency means more fuel weight later, so your max G is posponed to thinner air. While MechJeb is doing it's job, you can also keep a closer eye on the G loading.

The decouplers may still fail. If so, you can then apply struts or change the design a little fix the problem, knowing that your not adding more weight and drag than needed for an optimal ascent.