Greetings!

DarthKozilek

Hi Everyone,

New to posting, been playing KSP and lurking on this forum for 3 1/2 years or so.

Super Basic Question: How do I post an image like a screenshot? I only see what looks like an imgur link button and I'm praying that's not my only option. What does "Insert other media" actually do in terms of local files/images?

I'm trying to put some modeling knowledge to use and make a part mod so figuring out basic forum controls is a must.

Hello, and welcome to the forums!   :)

1 hour ago, DarthKozilek said:

How do I post an image like a screenshot?

1. Post your image to some third-party site.
    • imgur.com tends to be the most popular, since it's so easy to use and doesn't require creating an account.
    • However, any site will work, as long as images there are publicly linkable. 
  2. On the site where the image is hosted, right-click on the image and choose "copy image location".
    • Important, you want the URL of the image, not the page.
  3. Then go into your forum post and just paste the URL there.
  4. Presto!  It gets automagically converted into an in-line image.

You can also paste a link to a Youtube video, similar to the above, and it will get automagically converted to an inline video frame.

I only see what looks like an imgur link button and I'm praying that's not my only option.

Actually, it's worse than that.  Even the imgur link button itself isn't really an option.  :P  I believe it's supposed to be for linking an imgur album, but historically it's been flaky and posts with imgur album links in them seem to get broken whenever there's a forum update.  Best not to use it, IMHO.

What does "Insert other media" actually do in terms of local files/images?

Not much.  Bear in mind that the forum will not host any files for you.  I assume that the "insert image from URL" just does the same thing as pasting the URL into the message.  "Insert existing attachment", I have no idea, but I have trouble seeing how it could do anything useful since the forum won't host a file.